Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ferry to Martha's Vineyard (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ferry-to-marthas-vineyard-307354/)

MHS Apr 15th, 2003 10:07 AM

Ferry to Martha's Vineyard

Any recommendations on which one offers the best location for staying overnight before &amp; after taking the Ferry to the Vineyard for a 1-day excursion? Falmouth or New Bedford? Any recommendations on where to stay in either town? Know New Bedford eliminates that Friday drive over Cape Cod bridge, but haven't found much in the area in terms of staying over there. <BR>Thanks.<BR>

MHS Apr 16th, 2003 04:19 AM

Topping in hopes of a response.<BR>Thank you.

PamT Apr 16th, 2003 04:44 AM

Falmouth, Woods Hole area was very scenic and though we didn't overnight there, there seemed to be plenty of places to stay. Lots of B &amp; B's and small hotels. We stayed in Hyannis and it was an easy drive to Woods Hole. Spent just 1 day on the Vineyard too.<BR>Beautiful area. Have a great trip!

ejcrowe Apr 16th, 2003 05:55 AM

just wanted to make sure you're intending to take the ferry on foot, not by car. (or if you want to take a car, that you sign up NOW for a time on the ferry, as most times are now unavailable for much of the summer)<BR><BR>you don't really need a car, so don't get spooked if you were planning to take one and now cannot.

Jon_Eric Apr 16th, 2003 05:13 PM

With such limited time on the Vineyard I'd recommend flying over; forget the ferry altogether. You can fly from Hyannisport to MV for like 80.00 dollars round trip. Slightly more if flying from Boston or New Bedford. Flying will also give you more time on the island because I think the last ferry back is like at 4:00pm? Last year I flew from Nantucket to MV for the day and was glad I did. Coming from Nantucket its a LONG ferry ride though, much longer than from the Hyannis or Falmouth etc... This year I'm going to the Vineyard instead of Nantucket, but I'm flying to Providence and then taking a short flight from there.

Jools Apr 18th, 2003 07:27 PM

My vote goes for Falmouth also

Cassandra Apr 19th, 2003 06:53 AM

Flying isn't cheap and the flights book up quickly. Going to Martha's Vineyard on foot makes the ferry trip much easier but note that distances on the Vineyard are not short. If you are young and strong, you can rent bikes right at the ferry landing, but otherwise you will be pretty much confined to the town you land in unless you hire a taxi (there aren't that many).

John_T_Cuttino Apr 19th, 2003 07:09 AM

Falmouth/Woods Hole/Hyannis has more options.<BR>As far as transport on the island, there is a superb bus system that covers the whole island. You can get a one day pass. Do a web search and it will give you routes, times, etc.

charlesaf3 Apr 24th, 2003 10:50 AM

Stay at Falmouth, or on the Vineyard. There is convenient bus service between the Vineyard towns.

There is no need to fly - the ferry from falmouth takes 45 minutes and runs from 6am to 10pm or so. Flying will be much more expensive, and much more of a hassle. It can make sense to Nantucket, though.