Female traveling alone to Miami South Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling alone to Miami South Beach and have heard from several people that I should not go. Is it really that dangerous of an area? I'm hoping these people are just paranoid. I am staying on Pennsylvania and 8th so it is about five short blocks to Ocean Drive and a couple of blocks to the parking log on 7th and Collins.

The other question I have is will it be a challenge to find parking in the parking garage at 7th and Collins? I hate the idea of having to walk a long way with all of my camera gear.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:15 AM

Re safety, you should be fine in this general area -- I'd think just the usual basic precautions you'd take anywhere else you travel would apply.

There are areas of Miami that are generally considered unsafe, but South Beach isn't one of them.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:18 AM

It might be easier and cheaper to catch a taxi or bus rather than fight for parking... use a nylon backpack for the gear in case you get the urge to walk... there are lots of people near the beach making it safer than empty urban streets, but a lot depends on time of day in any city...
Old May 28th, 2012, 06:51 PM

I travelled and stayed as a solo female in South Beach and didn't feel intimidated at all. I'm planning to visit again in the Fall – and looking forward to it. Of course, basic precautions are always advised. Have fun!
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM

That's true. Danger is everywhere, even in the remotest area. Basic safety and precaution should always be at hand. And while having your own car is practical, I suggest commuting is more so. That way, you won't have to think about which directions to follow, or where to park. Commuting is the best and easiest way to go. For sure, you get to where you want to right away.
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:36 PM

As far as parking goes - it really depends on when you are looking for a spot. Peek times are weekends 12-4 (beach time) and Fri and Sat night. Try to avoid looking for a spot at these times.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 11:25 AM

South Beach is fine for those that stay aware of their surroundings. Downtown Miami, not so much. I grew up in Miami, lived there for 25 years. Stay on the beach, and be more aware if you go north, to say, 179th street (some sketchy areas here and there).

Most of south beach is young adults, partyers, and some retired folks. Lots of model-types, and lots of 'I love life' types. It's a very vibrant, alive area. I would never want to live there (I'm more of a homebody), but my friends have and have loved it. I lived farther north on the beach once (around 190th) and that was a little more my style - more retirees and hippies
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Whatever you do, don't read any Elmore Leonard or Edna Buchanan novels. ;-0