Feeding a teen in New York

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Barb

Feeding a teen in New York

We are headed to NYC for my daughter's 13th birthday. Any suggestions for very casual good food? We will be staying midtown at the Waldorf but sightseeing all over Manhatten. She likes Chinese as well as typical American fare. We are especially interested in local places (not chain restaurants). Thanks!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 05:35 PM
thereuare

The best burger i've ever had is at Jackson Hole, Wyoming (in NYC) on Third Ave and 35th Street.

John's Pizza (all locations) are great for sit down pizza. The location in the theatre district is particularly nice as it is in a converted/renovated church. On 44th Street b/w 7th and 8th Ave (closer to 8th ave).

For Chinese, no better place than Chinatown.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 05:35 PM
gab

For cheap Chinese I'd head to Chinatown--good sightseeing there, too. You might want to go during the day when there's more hustle and bustle. NY Noodletown is one restaurant recommendation there.

For a teenager, I'd consider John's Pizza. It's nicer than your average pizza joint, and also serves pasta. But the pizza is better. They have a few locations: one in the Village, another on 44th Street in the theater district, one on 65th Street near Lincoln Center.

Though it's a theme restaurant, a lot of people say the food at Jekyll & Hyde is good, and it's popular with kids and teens. There's one near your hotel, on 6th Avenue, and there's also one in the village. It's touristy, but hey, you are tourists.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:02 PM
jeanette

I took my daughter and son to the brewery in Times square and the food was good and we watched the people below. The carnegie deli they also liked.Carmines is a italian family resturant the kids also liked.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:37 PM
patty

A Chinese New Yorker friend recently took us to the Golden Unicorn on the eastern end of Chinatown for a dim sum Sunday tea/brunch. Servers push trays of dumplings, tarts and other goodies and you point, nod & select. Mmmmm

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 07:49 AM
xxx

If she were my kid I would introduce her to something new like Vietnamese, Yum any zagat's will give you the best stop in your locale. I suggest Joe's Shanghai Chinese, famous for their dumplings in the Asian community. The original location is in china town but they do have a branch mid-town fifties. You will really miss NYC if you stay mid-town. Hop a train, cab and go around. I would walk around china town, soho, east and west village, and if I really had time I would walk around the neighborhoods of the upper eastside near Met and Guggenheim museum.

I feel like I am traveling when I eat in a French restaurant. I would recommend Balthazarís downtown. If she has not been to Europe this is a nice introduction. The desserts are great and if you have not been to French restaurants they are pretty standard fare, meat & seafood and of course fritte (french fries).You donít need to worry about heavy sauces although I highly recommend the steak au pauve (sp). YUM!!! Balthazarís is also a celeb spot watch.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:01 AM
Barb

Thanks for some wonderful suggestions. We will definitely spread out to see as much of NYC as possible. One other request from my daughter: where will we find great cheesecake (her favorite birthday cake)?

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:12 AM
Cakelover

There is good NY Cheesecake at the restaurant right next to (and actually connected to) the Pennsylvania Hotel which is across the street from Madison Square Gardens.

By the way, don't bother with the Jekyll & Hyde restaurant. The atmosphere is cool, but the food is pretty bad and pricey for what it is.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:47 AM
thereuare

Since CakeLover touched upon it, i will also add:

Try to stay away from the "theme" restaurants (ie-Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood, etc.) There is better value for your money in New York.