Search

Feedback needed: Disney World announces the use of MagicBands

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback needed: Disney World announces the use of MagicBands

Hi everyone,

We're working on a blog story and would love your feedback. Disney World has announced that they will be transitioning to data-collecting wireless wristbands (MagicBands) instead of paper tickets.

The MagicBands will act as a guest's room key, theme park ticket, access to FastPass+ selections, PhotoPass card and optional payment account, tracking everything from what you buy to which attractions you visit.

What do you think about this? Are you more attracted by the convenience of this offering, or bothered that the company is collecting your personal data?

You can see the full announcement here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...he-next-level/
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Correction: Disney will be OFFERING THE OPTION of wireless wristbands to those who choose it, that PERMIT YOU to enter YOUR CHOICE of personal information, none which is stored permanently. There is no end of paper tickets, any more than their option of credit cards means you can't use cash. As stated VERY clearly in the NYTimes article:
http://tinyurl.com/akfz7fu
"Guests will not be forced to use the MagicBand system, and people who do try it will decide how much information to share"

In the spirit of honesty, I hope your blog story notes these facts that your initial post seems to "overlook."
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 10:11 AM

Hi PaulRabe,

Per Disney's announcement, "Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a band, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package." Those people not staying at Disney resorts will still receive tickets.

And per the NYTimes article: "once using the MagicBand, even if selecting the most restrictive settings, Disney sensors will gather general information about how the visitor uses the park."

The question remains: do you find this creepy, or convenient?
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM

Can't Disney already tell how I use the parks based on where I'm staying, ticket purchase, dining ressies, fastpasses, room charges/credit card receipts for restaurants and shops, photo purchases, etc.? Doesn't Disney already have most of that personal data? The bands merely make it easier for Disney to consolidate the information.

I don't see it being any different than when I ski at a Vail Resorts property. Using my VR Peaks loyalty card, VR knows what type of lift ticket I purchase, what lifts I take and when, where and what I eat on the mountain, what I purchase (including ski school, equipment rentals, photos, items in the shops) etc. VR can track my whole day on the mountain.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 01:09 PM

I would have no problem with it assuming I didn't have to sleep in the wristband.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 01:53 PM

I think it is all about crowd management. The theme park is a huge fixed cost. Staffing is expensive. If they can use the wrist bands to speed up checkout and shorten lines, good for them.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM

I tend to hate wristbands, find myself taking them off without knowing doing so.....

I hope it works to help check in for sure. I could wear it if that is the purpose.

WHat exactly do they accomplish?
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 04:44 PM

Perhaps its to cut down people reusing/ reselling/sharing multi-day tickets??
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 04:47 PM

Too creepy for me. But I also eschew loyalty cards, online purchases, and facebook. So maybe I'm an outlier.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 10:30 AM

I don't think they are creepy at all. Disney is using them to try and spread people throughout the parks better and to make things easier on us. Some great info on the new MyMagic system is here:

http://mousehints.com/my-magic-plus
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 11:53 AM

No different than being on a cruise ship.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 01:08 PM

I like the convenience.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 04:57 PM

Convenient but creepy.

I'm one of those who never gives info - although sometimes sales clerks can't believe I'm refusing to give my zip code. One a couple of months ago was very insistent, I told her I would give her my zip code if she would show me her pay check. She just didn't know what to do with that.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 02:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those of us who have been staying ON the property and have been using the so-called "Key to the World" card which already acts as your room key and charge card and admission ticket to the parks, Disney ALREADY KNOWS a lot about where we go, what we spend, which parks we go into, etc.

What information from this site is being sold to others? That is what I'd like to see on your blog.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM

I also think it sounds creepy and intrusive. I don't usually stay onsite or use photopass, so I don't see the convenience factor. Letting them track my spending or movement in the parks is of no benefit for me.
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 05:20 AM

Before writing your blog, be sure to read Disney's terms and conditions as they relate to RFID, Fast Pass Plus, Magic Band, etc. A lot of questions that are not answered in the blog post are answered in the terms and conditions. Anyone can opt out of the MagicBands, even those staying onsite.

As far as my opinion, I don't think it is any more concerning that using credit cards, shopping loyalty cards, cell phones, email, etc. It is a little "creepy" to me that so many organizations know so much about consumers. However, Disney knowing which resort I stay in and which park I play in is pretty close to the bottom of my privacy concerns.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 11:25 AM

To me it sounds like a good idea for Magic bands. If you stay on the grounds they already have all your personal info and credit card info. I would say it would speed up the entrance to the parks, convenience for photo pass users so they have one less card to worry about losing. Even for paying for food and purchases it would speed up the process.
We have always had good experiences with Disney and I don't believe this is in any way to be "creepy" or an invasion of privacy. Collecting data from what the patrons are doing and spending usually helps tell a company what is working and what isn't. What to do more of and what to eliminate.