Reload this Page >

Feedback from travelers re: Recover/FLORIDA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 09:26 AM
Carolyn

Am posting this for those who will ONLY visit Florida, as opposed to the general interest-region wide area, so as to cover myself. Forgive me and I hope you will indulge me for a moment. The post is identical. Thank you.

I might have to have my gall bladder removed (laparoscopically) - and I know this doesn't sound travel related, but it is.

Have any of you had your gb out and if so, please..how long before you feel comfortable enough to walk a lot? Am going to WDW 12/23 and don't know if it will be enough time. With my sinceres thanks in advance.

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 05:50 AM
S

Walking between attractions can become tiring. If you're going to be there for several days, seriously consider renting a wheelchair for your visit. They're available at each park right after you enter. We did this in the spring for my 70 year old parents. They took turns riding and resting. This made a BIG difference in their endurance.

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 12:48 PM
Jill

Carolyn-Are you in good physical shape now? Do you excercise regularily? If so, that will speed up your recovery time. If not, I would advise against going. I had surgery a couple of months ago and because I work out religiously I was able to get back into the swing of things sooner. Talk to your doctor, doctors do travel!

Old Dec 13th, 2000, 10:10 AM
Carolyn

thanks so much. I'm in such excruciating pain..at this point...trying to get into hospital...may be hernia and not gb...may have to cancel trip. how sad. I've gone every year for the past 20 years to WDW for Xmas week.

Old Dec 13th, 2000, 02:39 PM
Sheila

Carolyn-So sorry you probably can't make it to WDW. Treat yourself to a nice vacation when you feel better! I firmly believe that things happen for a reason, so maybe this isn't your year to go. (((HUGS))))

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 09:26 AM
L

Shelia - Saw your posting, and I do hope you've pinned down the problem and will be on the road to recovery real soon. We go to Fla. a lot - not to WDW - so if you decide to vacation elsewhere, just post a note. We could offer you tranpsort from the airport to the beach and back, and we'd even handle your bags for you - no charge. People have helped me out a lot, and we try to return the favor. But regardless, take care of yourself, get a good medical advocate to go in with you, hopefully have a good, pain-free holiday, and remember, this too shall pass. Best regards.

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 12:48 PM
L

Sorry - Meant to address the response to Carolyn, not Shelia.

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 06:16 PM
Carolyn

thank you all so much. have an endo and colonoscopy scheduled for the 27th..meantime, I was given Donnatal (so I could TRY to go on the WDW trip)..and pain they said is combination of severe gastritis with IBS.

Thanks for all your warm support. I hope to come back and post if I take my brief Xmas trip.

Have a safe and happy holiday season and GOOD HEALTH TO ALL, FIRST AND FOREMOST!

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Carolyn

Sheila, you are So right. ..sometimes "obstacles" are placed in our way so that we may avoid harm or danger or so that we may enjoy BETTER times to come. Thanks for that uplifting thought and thanks for the Hugs..{{{{{{{Sheila}}}}}

Author: Sheila ([email protected])
Date: 12/13/2000, 6:39 pm ET

Message: Carolyn-So sorry you probably can't make it to WDW. Treat yourself to a nice vacation when you feel better! I firmly believe that things happen for a reason, so maybe this isn't your year to go. (((HUGS))))

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Sheila

Carolyn-I recently had a colonoscopy and it was painless. I was back at it the next day. The worst part was the horrible stuff they make you drink the day before to clean your innerards out! Good luck!

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 04:12 AM
Carolyn

Sheila, no "pain" post-colonoscopy? they mention "air" and pain in body from it. Thanks!!!

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 08:13 AM
Sheila

Carolyn-I had no problems with pain afterwards or "air." But, they didn't find anything, maybe it's different if you have polyps removed. One good site I like is Preventions web site. They have useful medical advice that is in layman's terms.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 05:21 PM
Carolyn

Sheila. you are a gem! Thank you!