Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Favorite Regional Foods (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/favorite-regional-foods-137884/)

Roger Jul 9th, 2001 09:47 AM

Favorite Regional Foods

3 of my favorite regional foods. Maryland crab cakes-no other crab cakes compare. Southern grits. Scrapple, a delicacy originating from German immigrants to William Penn's Pennsylvania colony. Scrapple is very popular in Delaware and Maryland's eastern shore.

Fooder Jul 9th, 2001 09:59 AM

2nd the Maryland crab cakes. Sweet tea in Tennessee. Vinaigrette dressing in the South. Buffalo wings near the Buffalo, NY area.

Roger Jul 9th, 2001 10:03 AM

Let me second the hot wings of Buffalo and....Rochester, hometown of my old budy Rich McPhee. Great with beer.

Sloane Jul 9th, 2001 10:15 AM

Mine are an I am guessing you want feed back, Maryland Crab, Chicken Lau Lau, and New York Style Pizza. Excluding of course regions outside the U.S. and Tex/Mex Don't even get me started on Gazpacho in Spain!

Tim Jul 9th, 2001 12:47 PM

The green chili sauce on all of the food in New Mexico is the best!

Tina Jul 9th, 2001 12:48 PM

In the U.S., I don't think you can beat Southern California for the Mexican food. Many of the family run taco stands even offer homemade tortillas.

Samantha Jul 9th, 2001 04:57 PM

Hi Roger, <BR> <BR>This topic is right up my alley - food! ;-) <BR> <BR>My votes go to pasties (PASStees, not pacetees!), a meat filled pot pie, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan; deep dish pizza in Chicago; crab cakes in Virginia (haven't tried Maryland ones yet!); fresh baked breads in any Amish community. Yum! :-)

this Jul 9th, 2001 05:20 PM

Okay (no particular order), Chicago deep-dish pizza, she-crab soup from the South Carolina low country, crawfish etoufee and Bread Pudding (yep, it's almost holy) from lots of New Orleans places, and oysters steamed and eaten outside in the garage on a cold winter night, all bundled up with coats and gloves!!

Paul Rabe Jul 9th, 2001 05:48 PM

You haven't had a REAL Philly cheese steak sandwich until you've had one in Philly! <BR> <BR>Scrapple is definitely regional, Roger, but are you SURE you can call it a "food"? What does it say when one company that makes scrapple proudly advertises "No Snouts" in its scrapple?

Sue Jul 9th, 2001 05:51 PM

Alright, you got me--- what is "scrapple"? Although I'm guessing by the snouts reference, I probably don't want to know!

pieces Jul 9th, 2001 06:01 PM

Is it like, well, "chitlins"? <BR> <BR>

bee Jul 9th, 2001 06:29 PM

Blue Crabs from the Chesapeake Bay steamed with Old Bay seasoning and dipped in melted butter. Mmmmm... <BR>My wife likes Livermush. North Carolina's answer to Scrapple.

Jim Rosenberg Jul 9th, 2001 08:05 PM

Gulf coast shrimp; lobster in Atlantic Canada; pasties in the U.P.; Wisconsin bratwurst and alderwood-grilled halibut in the Pacific Northwest. :o)

Frank Jul 9th, 2001 09:21 PM

New York pizza

Angel Jul 10th, 2001 04:05 AM

A green chile (sp?) cheeseburger in New Mexico! <BR>

Roger Jul 10th, 2001 04:11 AM

Scrapple is a compressed loaf of pig parts not used in the making of other pork-related food specialties. Depending on the company brand, scrapple can come close to be gelatinous. It is cooked for breakfast like any other tasty morning meat.

Sue Jul 10th, 2001 04:24 AM

I had to ask...

Judy Jul 10th, 2001 04:58 AM

Hi Roger, along with crab and crabcakes, I would have to say "low country boil" from S. Carolina low country. Fresh Shrimp, sausage, new potatos, corn on the cob, boiler onions, simmered in a Zatarains seasonings,,,,,,to die for deeelish! <BR>I make it about once every 2 weeks....it is one of our all time faves,,,,yummmmm! Judy :-)

Rick Jul 10th, 2001 05:39 AM

New York: pastrami on rye, pizza, "real" bagels, long island duckling <BR>Louisiana: crawfish boil, oyster po'boy, bread pudding <BR>Northwest: dungeness crab, king salmon <BR>marionberry jam <BR>New England: clam chowder; fried belly-clams, lobster in the rough

Kate Jul 10th, 2001 06:43 AM

Fried Calamari Barcelona