Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Favorite place for dinner after a Broadway show?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to New York in February (we're seeing November and August: Osage County; we're stoked!)

I'm looking for suggestions for great places to eat either before or after the evening shows. One is Friday night, the other Saturday night. Figuring we need reservations.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM

If it is after the show leave the theatre district to eat.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM

I agree ... get out of the theater district.

Where are you staying? Perhaps we can suggest something in your neighborhood.

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM

The running time of "August" is three hours and 20 minutes...so you'll probably want to have dinner before the show. (Nothing worse than wishing a show would end already because you're hungry.)
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM

Those who suggest leaving the theatre district, need to advise people that it may take at least a half hour to get a taxi in the theatre district (and then only if they are agressive types) and assuming the show lasts till 11, they need to make sure the restaurant they are going to seats until midnight. Surprisingly that cuts out a lot of places. And many others will leave you feeling all alone after midnight when you were probably the last to arrive. In the theatre district (or near it) are lots of good places that specialize in after theatre dining, and tend to have much more buzz at midnight than many places outside the area. I'm not talking about bars and nightclubs here, but regular restaurants.

It's sad that so many New Yorkers have no idea what a hassle it is for people staying in the theatre district and seeing a show to get a taxi and to somewhere else and then return in a taxi to their hotel. We once did take a taxi to Gramercy Tavern after theatre which does seat till midnight, and within minutes of our being seated about 11:30, there were only two table of us in the whole place. It was the only time I've been disappointed in Gramercy Tavern -- I tend to like more of a crowd. I've know some people who have had reservations in the village or Soho, and ended up calling and cancelling when more than a half hour after the show they still couldn't get a taxi.

But I'm confused. By "great" places to eat are you talking about the top dining experiences which will hit at well above a couple hundred dollars for two? That might be a reason to "travel". Or do you mean good places with good food, maybe $100 or so for two? If it's the latter, here are a few really good post theatre suggestions that are close by (depending on your theatre) and are busy and fun after the theatre.

Vice Versa
Roberto Passon
Joe Allen
Lattanzi
Marseille
Kellari Taverna
Orso
West Bank Cafe
Le Madeleine
db Bistro Moderne
Bobby Van's Grill
Angus MacIndoe
Bond 45
Chez Josephine
Del Frisco's Steakhouse
Thalia
Bar Americain

I'd look at www.menupages.com, enter the names of some of the restaurants and see what appeals to you.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:44 PM

"The running time of "August" is three hours and 20 minutes...so you'll probably want to have dinner before the show. (Nothing worse than wishing a show would end already because you're hungry.)"
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No actually, I think what's worse is falling asleep during the show because you had a big meal and drinks or wine before.

This is a good point though about August: Osage County. Nevertheless if you've done a little snack or appetizers before the show, there are great places to do a meal later or choose a lighter menu, including pretty much all of those on the list I gave. I'm one of the few apparently who much prefers to eat after the show, and it doesn't bother me to go to sleep after a fairly big meal (in fact I'd rather be doing that in my bed, than in a theatre seat).
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

We're staying not far from the Theatre District, back toward Fifth Avenue but in the 40s.

By "great" I meant fun. I know August is long, but I think we'll opt for appetizers before the show and dinner after. I do tend to fall asleep after a big meal.

I agree that catching a cab after the theatres let out is crazy. Tried that before. So I think something we can walk to is more up our alley.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM

What about some place like Blue Fin or a sushi place after August? For light apps before the show, you could go to DB Bistro, or if the weather is nice you could sit outside at Bryant Park Grill.

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM

If "fun" is a criterion, then I'd definitely recommend Chez Josephine on 42nd Street just west of 9th Avenue. Good food, fun atmosphere and Jean-Claude Baker, the grand master of restaurant hosts!
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM

There is this thing called the subway that goes all over the place.

How many people go to the theatre district to eat when not seeing a show or eating with a visitor?

Oh, no. I just looked up Bar Americain and one non-professional reviewer called it fru-fru. (Please see other postings.)
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM

"How many people go to the theatre district to eat when not seeing a show or eating with a visitor?"

Huh? What does that have to do with visitors who ARE in the theatre district seeing a show and who ARE staying in the theatre district after the meal?

I didn't think we were talking about destination dining here, but a nice place to get some good food that is convenient to the area they need to be in before and after they eat it. It isn't rocket science to suggest they can do that with a whole lot of choices without going through a whole lot of transporatation time and/or aggravation.

Let's say a New Yorker lives in Soho and has plans in the neighborhood one night -- maybe a movie until 11. Then they will of course go home to the same neighborhood. They just want a nice place to get something to eat after the movie and before going to bed. Who would suggest they travel to the Upper East or West Side to do so? Wouldn't they rather just stay in the 'neighborhood' that night when there are plenty of places that would suit them?
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM

NeoPatrick

Unlike you I do not know what lurks in the minds of others. But I am impressed that you do and are not ashamed to state the intent of others.

The point remains that there are thousands and thousands of interesting and superior restaurants outisde the theatre district that can be reached by walking, taxi, subway, skipping, the long jump. And for that one visitor whose mind you have not invaded I highly recommend it.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM

Tavern on the Green in Central Park
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:36 PM

Auduchamp, give it a rest. You know as well as I do that I'm not deciding what lurks in the minds of others. I'm merely using a modicum of common sense. You've heard of that no doubt?

I'm willing to bet that unless it's some special night or special occasion, that most people unless they are night owls would just as soon have a simple dinner in their own neighborhood rather than track half way across a huge city and track half way back again afterwards to go to another restaurant not unlike one they could walk two blocks to -- especially starting this adventure at 11 PM or so. I'm sorry that's out of your range of understanding.

By the way, for all your ranting, I have yet to see a list of these wonderful places outside the theatre district that are worth the double taxi ride (or subway rides) in the middle of the night to get to. Let's stop talking in generalities. I gave a list of quite a few great choices in the theatre district. Let's see your list that tops them and makes the two trips worthwhile. Name them please. Don't get me wrong. I know there are many great options all over the cities. I've been to dozens of them myself, but have very few I would make the effort to go to after the theatre rather than the ones I've mentioned which are SOOOO much more convenient. I'm just looking for a specific list that would make someone want to spend the time and the money to get to them RATHER than just walk a few blocks to the ones I've mentioned or many others nearby those. Specifics please.

And by the way, if you read, you will notice that the original poster has reposted stating specifically that they would prefer it being somewhere they can walk to. Not surprising to me somehow, but I'm sure it simply astounds you that they don't want to travel.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM

New York has hundreds of good restaurants.

To give you any helpful info it would help if you tell us what types of food you like - or dislike - and what type of budget you have.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

We like everything, but my husband does have a thing for Indian food. Maybe something moderate to expensive in budget. Doesn't matter too much on that front. It's just two of us and is kind of a special occasion thing.

Hey, NeoPatrick and Aduchamp1, I don't want you guys coming to blows over the restaurant thing. I'll take any and all suggestions. And if there's someplace that we should try that's just over the top or new or something on the Upper East or West side, we can be adventurous. Sometimes when I'm in New York, I'm just overstimulated with all the choices and am trying to narrow them down so we don't waste our time once we're there trying to figure out what to do. Because I know how my husband and I operate when we go somewhere without the kids...