Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Favorite pizza in Boston? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/favorite-pizza-in-boston-725839/)

volcanogirl Aug 2nd, 2007 09:47 AM

Favorite pizza in Boston?

Hi, everyone - my husband and I are visiting Boston in September. He's a pizza nut. What's your favorite pizza spot near the North End? We're staying at the Marriott Long Wharf. Someone recommended Regina's to me. What do you think?

Pausanias Aug 2nd, 2007 11:15 AM

Regina's! I recently went back after thirty years away and thought it was still superb. This is the original on North Margin -- i see they have a couple of branches now, can't vouch for them.

Note, there will be a line.

IMO stick with the basics -- one or two traditional toppings. They have some yuppie designer pizzas on the menu these days which do not live up to the great tradition.

MarieF Aug 2nd, 2007 11:15 AM

The original Regina's in the North End (Thatcher Street) is excellent. It's pretty basic on the inside and the wait can be a while on the weekends, though. Also recommended by others is The Upper Crust (various locations). Woody's near Fenway Park just got "best pizza" from Boston Magazine. Also good is Emma's in Cambridge in Kendall Square (very thin crust) and you could get there on the Red Line. IMO, go to the original Regina's and your husband won't be disappointed. You'll be at the Marriott Long Wharf so you will be close by to it.

evab Aug 2nd, 2007 11:27 AM

Another vote for Regina's!

escargot Aug 2nd, 2007 11:43 AM

I also like Regina's, for what I think of as traditional pizza - I love the Upper Crust for thin crust pies and one of my favorite Boston walks is thru the Public Garden, down Charles St, with a stop for pizza, and cointinuing on, over the walking bridge to the Charles River, walk along there for a bit and back over and down Charles stopping at Cafe Vanille for something fabulous and sweet and an ice coffee -

Santarpio's pizza was always great, but not an easy location to get to w/out a car i don't think -we tend to go on way to or from airport by car - I would have no clue how you would do that with the T and a bus I suppose - but you will enjoy Regina's - it's excellent.

MarieF Aug 2nd, 2007 12:12 PM

We used to like Santarpio's (near Logan airport) as well but my DH refuses to set foot in there after the infamous incident a few years ago involving a patron and an illegal weapon. We got some to go after that but it just wasn't the same.

kealalani Aug 2nd, 2007 12:15 PM

Has to be basic from the original Reginas in the NorthEnd. It's all about the ovens!

cmcfong Aug 2nd, 2007 12:21 PM

REGINA'S for sure! Forty years ago I tried it for the first time, it has never disappointed.

djkbooks Aug 2nd, 2007 12:32 PM

Every time we go somewhere else, we wished we'd just gone to Regina's. And, it's always as good as we remembered.

adnil1962 Aug 2nd, 2007 12:35 PM

Santarpio's (in East Boston - close to the North End) & Regina's

escargot Aug 2nd, 2007 12:48 PM

MarieF, I am laughing at your "involving a patron and an illegal weapon" - as my grampa would've said, it's the north end, whaddya suhprizd?

kealalani Aug 2nd, 2007 02:00 PM

I think they were referring to a shooting at Santarpios a couple of years ago - East Boston, not the Northend, but oh their sausages with peppers and bread and love that fresh garlic pizza!!!

escargot Aug 2nd, 2007 03:39 PM

mmmm, kealalani you are making me hungry for one.... I k now it's east boston, but sooo close - you know/ east boston/north end/ east boston/ north end - leave the gun, take the cannoli.

MarieF Aug 2nd, 2007 03:51 PM

We digress, but what troubled my DH about the incident at Santarpio's was that the person with the weapon was known to the bartender and the bartender was quoted as saying something like he "wasn't a bad guy". It does add to the local color and it's a good story. I'd stick with the original Regina's in the North End.

kealalani Aug 2nd, 2007 04:35 PM

I hear you escargot. We used to go to a place in East Boston for tiramasu and grand marneir. Oh the older gentlemen in the back room rivaled anything out of central casting. Wonder if that place is still there with the sheetpan of tiramasu right out of one of the wives kitchens! LOL

Perhaps a Santarpio's GTG! In our minds anyway!

JeaninGeorgia Aug 2nd, 2007 05:04 PM

Another vote for Reginas in the Northend. We went during the week for lunch and did not have a wait. It was wonderful.

volcanogirl Aug 2nd, 2007 05:21 PM

Wow, sounds like Regina's was a good recommendation. We can't wait to try it; my husband will probably want to eat there every night. It sounds really great.

And wow, people have been going there for 30 and 40 years; I don't think you can get a much stronger recommendation than that. Thanks for the advice.

escargot Aug 2nd, 2007 06:07 PM

absolutely Marie...they are all really nice guys....to someone !
a Boston pizza GTG someday - nice idea !

Ralphie Aug 3rd, 2007 12:54 PM

There's a place on Salem street called Ernestos that I like too. (I actually like it better than Regina's Shhhhh I have blasphemed!). It's not fancy but very good IMO. Maybe consider it if Regina's line is too long, or if you want to try something else the next day.

volcanogirl Aug 3rd, 2007 02:32 PM

Ralphie, thanks for the suggestion. It's always nice to have alternatives.