Favorite park in Boston?

Search

Favorite park in Boston?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite park in Boston?

We will be in Boston Columbus Day weekend. We love urban parks. Which is your favorite park in Boston to sit and people-watch and enjoy the fall colors?
Thanks,
Laurie
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Boston Public Garden and the Charles River Esplanade. They're very close to one another, and they're centrally located close to many other tourist attractions. You could very easily combine both with a walk through Beacon Hill and/or Back Bay. I don't think the people-watching is particularly interesting at either place, but the scenery is picturesque in both. I suppose Columbus Day weekend may be a bit before peak, foliage-wise, but these are nice places to hang out even if the leaves are all still green.

Note that the Public Garden is adjacent to but distinct from Boston Common. Boston Common is a lot less appealing. Also, the light on the Esplanade is particularly nice around sunset.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:01 AM
cw

I'd go to the Public Garden though as Hawksbill says, there may or may not be much foliage color. Depends a lot on the weather in the next few weeks.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 02:51 PM

This question is IMPOSSIBLE to answer!!!

Of course the Public Gardens with the glorious trees and landscape. These are old, grande dame trees in a glorious setting
BUT
The Esplanade and Charles River have much to offer in many areas. The Hatchshell, the walking paths, the wonderful sculpture of Arthur Fiedler and the boat basins.
BUT
A stroll up Commonwealth Ave should not be missed taking in the wonderful statues and memorials. I especially like the firemans memorial, but so many great statues and a lovely stroll.
BUT
Sitting in the bamboo garden on the edge of Chinatown is very pleasant with some water features
BUT
A stroll thru Rose Kennedy Greenway will offer many different experiences and sitting across from the Northend while indulging in a coffee while the world goes by near the fountains is pretty cool.
BUT
The new gardens in Seaport across from the World Trade Center are lovely
BUT
Christopher Park on the waterfront is sweet
BUT
The Christian Science Center reflecting pool
BUT
That waterfront park on Commercial Ave in the Northend watching little league or an older generation playing bocci
BUT
Castle Island in Southie, watching planes land and taking in ocean breezes
BUT
The waterfront pathway in back of the Boston Harbor Hotel and Intercontinental Hotel area.
BUT
The dog park on Washington Street in the Southend is fun and a nice community
BUT BUT BUT
How does one choose as those are just a few wonderful areas to pass a piece of the day watching the world go by???
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 08:20 PM

Arnold Arboretum.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Wow......thanks! I guess we can't go wrong whichever one we choose.
Laurie
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 06:28 AM

There are lots of spaces within Boston that I've enjoyed, but some for architecture/quiet beauty rather than a good place to people-watch. So for your purposes, I echo Hawksbill with the same favourites for observing the passersby: Boston Public Garden and Charles River Esplanade. Enjoy!