Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Favorite NY Outdoor Dining (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/favorite-ny-outdoor-dining-333172/)

xien Jul 2nd, 2003 12:10 PM

Favorite NY Outdoor Dining

Does anyone have any favorite outdoor dining spots in Manhattan? Backyard patios, uptown terraces, or anything like that? Please post your favorites, thanks.

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 2nd, 2003 12:16 PM

Still looking for NYC places you can smoke, I see...!

Personally, if I have to dine al fresco in NYC, I love to do it down in the Village. I don't know if it's still open, but this tiny French place called Chez Ma Tante on West 10th between Bleeker and Fourth Ave is a sentimental favorite of mine. The food is great, the wait staff are friendly and helpful, and if you get an outside table you're on the sidewalk in the West Village. The whole world will be walking past. On a warm summer's night, it's unbeatable.

GoTravel Jul 2nd, 2003 12:25 PM

My favorite is probably to Boathouse Cafe in Central Park. Not so much for the food as for the atmosphere and people watching.

Also, grabbing a hotdog and eating it on the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

xien Jul 2nd, 2003 12:37 PM

Can't wait to visit the city and spend some money at these places.

Great suggestions. Keep 'em coming. I know there are more places than I've been able to find listed online, and also, just because it's outdoor dining doesn't mean enjoyable/edible food is available. I love personal suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Always looking for a place to smoke cigarettes, but we can always smoke on the street or whatever. But! the very THOUGHT of being able to enjoy a meal, a drink, people-watch and smoke all from the comfort of a *chair* leaves me with such a joyous feeling!
Thanks again.

al Jul 2nd, 2003 02:02 PM

Calling All Smokers:

Check out Loggia/Moda on 52nd Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues, next door to Ben Bensons in the Flatotel Hotel. The restaurant runs between 52nd and 53rd Streets, is outdoors (you can smoke!) and for food you can order from the more expensive Moda menu (Moda is the indoor restaurant in the hotel) or the outdoor Loggia menu (cheaper, pizza, burgers, etc.)

Very relaxing and a very nice place.

Elizabeth Jul 2nd, 2003 05:13 PM

Get a Zagat's or look at it online -- there is a whole list of places with outdoor tables and very reliable reviews of them.

Owen_ONeill Jul 2nd, 2003 07:00 PM

Grove has a lovely back courtyard for outdoor dining. They're at the corner of Grove and Bleecker in the West Village right near the Pink Tea Cup (which is a must for its weekend Southern style soul food breakfasts).

I really like Sunday brunch or lunch at St. Bart's Cafe - it's run by St. Bart's churhc at the corner of Park and 50th (maybe 51st?). Nice big outdoor patio with reasonable prices (for that area at least) and as relaxed atmosphere.

GoTravel Jul 2nd, 2003 07:18 PM

What is the deal with Bryant Park? Don't they have tables set up where you can bring your lunch? Or did I dream that?

johnpressman Jul 2nd, 2003 10:39 PM

Backyard patio: Ye Waverly In on Waverly and Bank in the West Village or Il Vagabondo, with an indoor bocce ball court on E 61st and 1st ave.

People Watching: Da Silvano or next door Bar Pitti at 260 6th ave near Bleecker also in the Village.

mclaurie Jul 3rd, 2003 05:43 AM

Xien, just because you're sitting outside does not mean you can smoke. :( The law says you can't smoke in a restaurant which theoretically includes outdoor tables. I've seen people sitting at a sidewalk table have to get up & walk a foot or 2 away from their seat to smoke! Some places are stricter than others about sticking to the letter of the law.

GoTravel, yes, there are tables & chairs at Bryant Park where you can bring your own food.

Xien, here are some other options for outdoor dining.

La Goulue (French bistro) on Madison betw 64-65 has sidewalk tables. GREAT people watching (Euros, ladies who lunch) both at the restaurant & on the street but go well dressed for good service. Very European.
A block up at 66th, Cafe Nosidam (madison spelled backwards), similar crowd, Italian food).

Barolo (Italian) in Soho on West Broadway has a huge garden. Food good not great & service outside can be slow when they're busy but fun.

Gascogne (French) in the village, 8th ave betw. 17-18 has a charming but small garden.

The Water Club at 30th st & the East River has a huge outdoor deck for drinks & dining facing the river. Watch the boat parade.

Pastis in the meatpacking district (VERY trendy) French bistro with sidewalk tables, good food, people watching (models, celebs) but not "charming" (ie lots of traffic & noise).

West 79th St Boat Basin (79th & Hudson River) trendy, young, burgers & BBQ, cheap!

Brio, across from Bloomingdales, has sidewalk tables, good Italian.

Finally, the sidewalk terrace at the Stanhope Hotel (5th ave & 81) across from the Metropolitan Museum may be one of the priciest burgers in NY (they also have salads, club sandwiches etc.) but they do set aside one side of the "terrace" (it's the sidewalk under an awning) for smoking & it's very NY.

djkbooks Jul 3rd, 2003 08:58 AM

Here's another recommendation for St. Bart's. Also nice are Brasserie Centrale at 53rd/7th and the outdoor tables at Rue 57.

suzanne Jul 3rd, 2003 09:05 AM

I love buying a pizza at Grimaldis and eating it on the ferry landing at the end of Old Fulton Street. Except when the tour buses unload!

Top of the Penn (Peninsula Hotel) is a great rooftop bar with fantastic views. Don't know if they serve food. It's very expensive, though.

Jillatin Jul 3rd, 2003 09:55 AM

I love the upstairs balcony at La Bonne Soupe on 55th. Only a handful of tables, though, so you're lucky if you can grab one!

fluffnfold Jul 3rd, 2003 11:11 AM

My husband and I love the courtyard at Barbetta on 46th Street (Restaurant Row in the Theatre District). They make the best tomato and mozarella salad in the summer, mixed right at your table. It's worth the 1.5 hour drive into the city just for that salad! Luckily, it will soon be time for ripened, homegrown tomatoes. Try it--you won't be disappointed!

Elizabeth Jul 3rd, 2003 02:50 PM

I think Grove closed, my friend's daughter was working there.

I mentioned Miracle Grill on another answer to this question from you -- 1st Ave btw 6th & &th Streets, big garden with a smoking section. Popular, go early or late, or enjoy waiting & a good margarita.

Another place I love: Steamers at Battery Park City. It is right on the water with lots of outside tables. Ordinary good-enough neighborhood restaurant food.

xien Jul 4th, 2003 11:18 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions so far, I'm gonna print the whole list for our trip. Everything sounds so wonderful, I hope the weather co-operates during our visit in two weeks.

canterbury417 Jul 4th, 2003 02:46 PM

Barbetta is a MUST for outdoor dining. Alas--I was there before this police state ban started and I could not smoke then outdoors. I don't go to bars at all anymore since the ban and we dine out much less too.