Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Favorite hotel in Wailea? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/favorite-hotel-in-wailea-844792/)

MaxnZack Jun 13th, 2010 11:53 AM

Favorite hotel in Wailea?

Hi all, everyone's been so helpful on this board. Thought I'd continue the conversation! We've decided to go to Maui. We were going to use points and stay at the Hyatt, but it looks like there may be better options for the same price. Wailea is looking very attractive to us -- we would like to be ON a spectacular beach and have the ability to walk to get a bite and drink. How about Makena Beach Resort? Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!!

montereybob Jun 13th, 2010 02:21 PM

Any of the hotels that are in easy walking distance from Wailea Beach would be good. It's a fabulous beach and there are several eating options within an easy walk from the beach at the hotels that are adjacent to the beach. Google "Wailea beach hotels".

kanunu Jun 13th, 2010 04:07 PM

Makena Beach Resort is a bit of a hike from all the other hotels/resorts in Wailea, and there is not much else in Makena in the way of eating/drinking, so bear this in mind. Maybe have a look at a map, so you can get a better feel for the distance; its a bit far for me, walking to Wailea and back, but it might be fine for you.

ksucat Jun 13th, 2010 04:50 PM

we love the Grand Wailea.
If you stay up in Ka'anapali, then the Hyatt is a good choice.
There was a killer deal on Costco last month of 6 nights for $650 pp and that included breakfast daily and $100 dinner.

MaxnZack Jun 14th, 2010 01:01 PM

Thanks all! Yes - I just saw that crazy Coscto deal, hoping it comes around again next year when we're ready to travel. That would be a no-brainer for sure!!

HunyBadger Jun 14th, 2010 04:42 PM

The Grand Wailea is a great hotel but my favorite is the Fairmont Kealani. Both are on Keawekapu Beach, arguably one of the best beaches on Maui. The Wailea Shopping Center is within walking distance. Some shops in Kihei are as well but they are a much further walk.

ksucat Jun 14th, 2010 05:23 PM

Hey Max!
Did you check Costco travel to see if they might still have that promo going on?
There was some deals on expedia.com on a Hawaii banner.
Fairmont is a great hotel too..huny, have they renovated the hotel lately?
aloha

ksucat Jun 14th, 2010 06:31 PM

just got this deal sent to us from perfect escapes which I believe is owned by Trip Advisor.
Fairmont Wailea Kea Lani.. $299 one bedroom suite with breakfast daily..sweet!

http://www.perfectescapes.com/Luxury...Lani_Maui.html

MaxnZack Jun 19th, 2010 04:45 PM

Excellent, thank you! Yes, I've been reading about the Fairmont Kea Lani. Some mixed reviews. Is it right on that beautiful beach? I like the suites too. What a grea tdeal you tracked down on Trip Advisor, let's hope it runs into next year!

christabir Jun 19th, 2010 08:08 PM

Makena used to be a Prince resort. No longer. It's far from everything but has a GREAT beach. If you golf, the courses might still be closed for renovations. Check tripadvisor for current feedback. Great prices right now.

I would choose the Fairmont or Four Seasons. Great beach (they are adjacent to each other) with lots of activities available. The Grand Wailea is a bit on the Disney side for me. The Marriott doesn't have the best beach but might be a better value, if that matters.

Froderick Jun 19th, 2010 09:09 PM

I have stayed at four properties, most recently the Marriott that fit our needs and was exceptional for its adult infinity pool and restaurant.

I love Kea Lani, but would take caution and check with the hotel first hand regarding their renovation rates and how that will change your experience.

Didn't like Grand Wailea, but love touring the property. Pool is maddness.

Four Seasons was the two time winner. May do it again when finances allow, but just a walkthrough and enjoying their grounds works for me.

I find it curious when posters change their recommendations from 4S to GW from post to post. Very odd. Take all suggestions with a grain of salt.

mjs Jun 21st, 2010 12:30 AM

The Four Seasons is one of my fav hotels in the world. The GW does have better pools but we all prefer the 4S.