Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Favorite Cruise?? Worst Cruise?? I want to hear!

Feb 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Have you been on a specific cruise (line or area) that you loved? What about one that was a disaster? I want to hear about it!!
I have never been on a crusie and want to get some of your insights before I begin researching pricing etc.

Thanks!
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:08 PM

There is more info on various cruises than you probably want to know at cruisecritic.com.
As for me:
Best cruise: Celebrity Mercury Alaska Cruise - we had great weather, great food, service and marvelous company.
Worst Cruise - RCL Norway - we were supposed to go to the Bahamas, but ran into a hurricane (my fault - it was the season). We were not able to dock anywhere, and it was very rough.
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:34 PM

You will get much more information if you go to the cruise board or to www.cruisecritic.com Although you will get a lot of information there are a lot of people who are very active on that site and very, very loyal to certain lines. There are reviews on every line and every route. I chose my cruise last year based on very careful reviews and ended up being very pleased. I chose an Eastern Carribean route. My only complaint was smokers smoking on the non-smoking side of the ship. The food was fantastic, the crew and staff were fantastic, the ship was beautiful and my kids had a great time.
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Of the three cruises I have taken so far, the best was Celebrity; I liked the food, the service, the more elegant ship. Norwegian had the best shore activities and on-board programs, but the worst ship, food, and service. Canival was in between; not much elegance, but pretty good food and service.

All of these cruises were to various parts of the Carribean. I liked Antigua, Roatan, and St. John the best. I disliked St. Thomas, the Bahamas, and Cancun, all of which seemed too commercialized.

It's not worth taking a cruise if you don't take advantage of the ports of call. We've had good luck on smaller shore excursions (the kind in which the group fits into a van instead of a bus), as well as hiring a taxi for a day. In Antigua, we took a taxi and toured the island, then our driver went swimming with us at the end. Our favorite official shore excursion was in Roatan: a combination of sea kayaking in the morning, then lunch, followed by snorkeling in the afternoon, then having drinks and snacks before going back to the ship.
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:59 PM

I think it's a little bit humorous when people say things like, "I don't like Italy. We went on a cruise and stopped at the port in Naples. It wasn't very impressive".

Almost like saying that New York City is old, dirty and run down based on a layover in LaGuardia.

Cruising allows people to get a glimpse of a fraction of what a country is all about. No real flavor at all. And usually the experience is in the most commercialized, unrepresentative part in a seaport.
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:52 PM

That applies only in you've never been to a certain destination before. Some places I've visited on a cruise I would only want to stay for a day anyways, like Catalina Island or Ensenada, Mexico.

The enjoyment is sailing the open ocean and visiting ports at your leisure. I have done 3 RCCL and one Norwegian. I really did not get into our new NCCL ship the Dawn, there was too much nickel and diming and the food was not that good. Have never been let down with RCCL and the Caribbean. Will be doing our first Alaska cruise with Princess this May.
Feb 21st, 2004, 05:59 AM

M most favorite and romantic cruise was on the Windsurf ( part of Windstar Cruise lines) in the Western Med- ROME to NICE--4 masted sailing yacht with personalized service....THE best cruise we ever took....

On a more MASS cruise type- that's a toss up between Princess and Celebrity..We have been loyal Celebrity people til this past Dec when we returned to Princess..Did the Golden Princess in the Eastern Caribbean..IT WAS WONDERFUL and we were wondering why we waited so long to re-try Princess. ( we were avid Princess passengers up til 8 years ago when the food went downhill).

Worst cruise line I have been on- NCL- FOOD is the PITS...

and if you are middle age, CARNIVAL may be too young and loud for you..

Celebrity has a NO OVERHEAD ANNOUNCEMENT policy which makes it a great cruise as no one is constantly coming over the squack box telling you it's lunch time...etc...

Cruising is my favorite way to travel as you get to see lots of places and get a taste of them so you can decide where you want to return at a later date..

We LOVE the SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN itinerary..and are not too crazy about the Western Carib itinerary as we do not scuba dive and are not in Mayan ruins..but hey, different strokes for different folks!!

Hope this helps!
Feb 21st, 2004, 07:17 AM

Carnival is the worst cruise. The food is terrible, crowded, just wasn't our cup of tea. Honestly, we aren't big on cruising. Just our personal preference. I've heard from some that they enjoy Royal Carribean and Princess a lot better than Carnival.
Feb 21st, 2004, 07:34 AM

Our Carnival cruise was definitely a fun ship, without being wild & crazy.
Food, service, and entertainment were
all excellent.
Feb 21st, 2004, 08:46 AM

It's hard to help you with this question because it dependes so much on what you're looking for, Each cruise line tends to have its own personality that some people like and others don't. For instance, Carnival cruises usually appeal to a younger crowd on a budget. They're good if you're looking for lots of action, partying, etc. Carnivals' ships tend to be decorated in lots of bright colors and neon. Lines like Holland America have typically attracted an older crowd and are more sedate (although this has become less true in recent years). Celebrity is somewhat more expensive and tends to draw a more sophisticated clientele. They are known for their great food. Then there are lines like Crystal and Cunard that target the rich. Disney has traditionally been the most family-oriented, but many other lines now have great kids programs too. We like Royal Caribbean because it offers a nice balance--reasonably priced and not too sedate, but not too wild either.

Be aware that different destinations can make a big difference too. For instance, Alaska cruisers are almost always older (on average) than Caribbean cruisers. The Caribbean cruises also tend to have more of a party atmosphere. Shorter cruises (i.e. 3 or 5 days) are usually a bit more raucous that the 7 or 10 day variety.

Hope this helps!
Feb 22nd, 2004, 05:02 AM

Another factor to figure in is ship size. Some folks love big ships with their range of options. Others prefer the small ship experience which seems to attract the over fifty crowd. I've done the Disney cruise back when I had young teens and it was a wonderful experience for that time in our lives. More recently, I've tended to go on small ship excursions because I no longer want to deal with other people's children. As long as you select a cruise experience that fits with your situation, you'll probably have a wonderful time.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:47 AM
Cassandra

Could I ask frequent cruisers to give an estimate of the percent of the time they had rough waters, or enough motion so that they were aware of it and noted that some were a bit ill?

I'd love to cruise somewhere but would need smooth waters, since there are no remedies for motion sickness that work with me (so thanks ahead of time for recommendations of the wrist band, ginger, OTC pills, etc. -- have tried'em all). I'm told the Caribbean is usually pretty calm -- how often is this true? (Yes, I know about hurricanes!)

Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:09 AM

Cassandra, you need to get a prescription for transdermscopomine. It's the patch you wear behind your ear. Great medicine. I'm very prone to motion sickness and this stuff is wonderful.

I went on an Alaskan cruise and it was pretty calm, but most of the sailing was in the inside passage (more protected than open seas). The final day was in the open sea and it was 'rougher' (I been on worse in a small boat scuba trip) than the other days, but the patch was great.

The ship I went on (sorry, don't remember the name) had okay food. Since the crew had to prepare meals for 2,000 people several times a day, it was pretty much food service you would get at a huge restaurant/cafeteria. I would assume this would be the case for any large ship.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:11 AM

If motion sickness is your concern, then you should look into how many stabilizers a ship has and where they are situated. Stabilizers make the cruise ships more...umm...stable. The newer the ship, the better the stabilizers.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:17 AM

Cassandra---We cruised the Western Caribbean in late September and had one night (our last) of semi-rough waters. I'm not sure if this was the effect of some distant hurricane or if 1 rough day out of 7 is relatively normal for this trip, regardless of the season.

I get seasick too, so I came fully prepared. On the day in question, I used Bonine, sea bands and ginger all at the same time(!) which seemed to hold off the nausea. If none of these remedies work for you, be sure to request a cabin mid-ship and go for a lower floor.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:23 AM

I've sailed twice both on the Celebrity Century. One Western Caribbean and the other Eastern. First cruise was wonderful, the ship, the service, the food, entertainment, etc. We were in an inside stateroom mid ship with no seasickness whatsoever. Second cruise unfortunatley left port 3 days before Sept. 11th 2001, obviously that changed the tone of everyone's trip. Celebrity handled it professionally and tried to keep everyone informed yet made the best of the situation. We did miss our last port of call for obvious reasons and were fully reimbursed for that port. On another note we were in an outside stateroom very near the front of the ship and I was horribly sick from the beginning to the end. We haven't cruised since but are sailing Norwegian in August to Northern Europe and have booked an ouside stateroom mid ship. Hope this helps!
Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:28 AM

Hi. My husband & I have been on 4 Carnival cruises and had a great time. We are going on a 7 day eastern caribbean in March. The food was good, so were the shows. I liked the gym and exercise classes. We have been Nassua, Key West, Cozumel, Jamaica, & Cayman Islands. Next month we are heading to: San Juan, St Thomas and St. Mareteen. The only thing I didn't like was that the employees ask for a tip which was so rude. I'll tip if I want. Overall, Carnival has the best deal. The other lines were so much more and only offered a bit more for the price. If you like to workout, the other lines charge for classes and food.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:46 AM

I've been on ten cruises on four different cruise lines. I liked Celebrity the best, but don't judge a cruise line by just one cruise. The first time I sailed Norwegian, I really didn't like the food or service. I went on Norwegian again for the itinerary and LOVED it. Different ships have different atmospheres.
The new ships are SO big and have stabelizers so there isn't a lot of movement. My sister is prone to motion sickness and she just takes Bonine the first couple days and then she's fine. You will feel some movement if a storm is coming, but not a lot.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:43 AM

Cassandra-

I have been cruising for almost 30 years and I use Antivert- a perscription drug my doc gives to me..I have NEVER gotten sick on a cruise....It truely works..way better than Bonine or scop ( the patch) or sea bands....

Of all the cruises we have been on, the roughest was on a small ship about 18 years ago on Sitmar ...the dining room emptied out fast..OUR WHOLE TABLE was taking antivert..Not only were we able to complete dinner, but NO ONE got sick that nite nor any other nite on the cruise..

One of the calmest places we have cruised was the Western Med in Sept...

Avoid the Eastern and Western Carib in Sept/OCT/early NOv as it IS hurricane season..While cruise ships try to outmanuever a hurricane if one pops up, sometimes that doesn't hold true..We always cruise in DEC/Feb/Mar?April/May/Aug--etc..we mainly omit the FALL hurricane monthes...
Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:04 AM

We had a cruise from hell on a Carnival ship; it was an older one that was on it's last legs; I wonder if it's possible to find out the age of the ship before booking.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO