Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   favorite chicago restaurants w/ kids? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/favorite-chicago-restaurants-w-kids-198605/)

Samantha Jan 24th, 2003 10:28 AM

favorite chicago restaurants w/ kids?

I'm looking for fun restaurants that are kid-friendly in the near north area. A plus if they have a liquor license!

topping Jan 25th, 2003 10:29 AM

to the top<BR>

Susan Jan 25th, 2003 02:06 PM

I'll probably get flamed by restaurant chain haters, but I like Cheesecake Factory for its vast menu. Liquor license and kid friendly; check, check. (In fact, it's in the basement of the Hancock center -- the kids might like to visit the observation deck at the top.)

Pete Jan 25th, 2003 02:09 PM

Try Ed Debevic's...a blast for kids, but no liquor.

BTilke Jan 25th, 2003 02:15 PM

How old are these kids? Toddlers? Teenagers? Above toddler age kids might like the Big Bowl restaurants. Lots of fun things on the menu. Healthy too. And the restaurants are always pretty noisy, so kids are just part of the general din.

kathy Jan 25th, 2003 02:17 PM

No liquor here, but the American Girl Cafe is a special treat for little girls. Brunch is very good, and in fact, every meal was delicious. Several items to choose. Probably best for moms and daughters, but we return everytime we are in Chicago - often without kids!

km Jan 25th, 2003 02:27 PM

I love American Girls Place but do not recommend a visit there unless you have a doll or are willing to buy a doll. It is, after all, a store and in seems kind of mean to take our daughter inside and not buy a doll.

kathy Jan 25th, 2003 02:41 PM

American Girl Place is, indeed, a store. However, the second level is the Cafe where they serve the food, they gladly offer &quot;loaner&quot; dolls and booster chairs for them that children without their own dolls can use. We &quot;borrowed&quot; two during our visit. Since everyone knew ahead of time we were there to enjoy the fun of an American Girl meal, we really didn't experience a problem with the girls. They understood we were eating only. They were taken up with the room itself, the colorful tables and big flowers, and the magical flowerpot pudding for dessert. I guess we were fortunate that we had stressed the treat of eating there because so many others had not, that we hadn't suggested shopping. The store was so very crowded on our last visit, that we met with no resistence, and the girls didn't feel deprived - nor did we feel we were being mean to them. It was just a special &quot;girls&quot; brunch that we thoroughly enjoyed. I was just offering a suggestion that worked well for us. It might not be the answer for everyone.

km Jan 25th, 2003 02:57 PM

I didn't know about the Loaner Dolls. That would make it easier if you didn't have a doll - particularly for an older girl. I still think I would have a hard time taking my 6 year old there with no doll purchase. Maybe, tho, you could get away with one of the mini dolls....

Susan Jan 26th, 2003 05:47 AM

Ed Debevic's DOES have liquor.

Tiff Jan 26th, 2003 02:16 PM

Ed Debevic's ALL THE WAY!!!<BR>I'm 14 and my bro is 16 and that place was VERY entertaining!!lol go for it.