Father-Teenage Son Trip to Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FAther and 16 yr old son are traveling from CA and attending 3 baseball games. They have about 2 days of down time to sight see. What do you recommend?
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM

I think those Segway tours look darn fun.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Willis Tower and/or Hancock Building. The Federal Reserve Bank has a good self guided tour. The Field Museum to see Sue. The Shedd Aquarium. Navy Pier?
Be sure to have a sandwich at Mr. Beef.
Are you driving, flying or taking the train into the city? Each has is advantages and disadvantages.
For a cheap place to sleep check out the Chicago HI Hostel.
I like the place except for the noise from the turn in the El onto Congress.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM

I'd add one of the architecture boat tours. The Chicago Architecture Foundation runs them. There's also a company at Navy Pier (I forgot the name) that uses speedboats, going slow on the Chicago River and then flooring it when you get out on the lake. The teen might like that.
I'd also add the Museum of Science and Industry to the "must see" list.
Are they going to see the Cubs or the Sox or both?
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:50 PM

I second going to the top of the Sears Tower. They added glass bottomed observation decks that extend over the edge of the building....quite an experience! The architectural tours are really very interesting, so I second that suggestion as well. If you're in the city during the week, stop in at the Board of Trade (Lasalle and Jackson, the heart of the financial district and right across from the Federal Reserve Bldg) and go up to the Visitor's Gallery. You can see the open outcry trading pits in action; even if they aren't that busy, it's still intersting to see.

There are tons of great museums; my favorite is the Field Museum, but the Shedd Aquarium is also great. There is a pretty walk along the lakefront that connects the museums, as well. The city in the summer is the best; take a walk up N. Michigan Ave and people watch. Find the Tribune Tower, which is just north of the river on the east side of the street, and look at the walls - they are studded with rocks and stones from famous places all over the world.

There's always Grant Park, 'the bean' (a stainless steel sculpture that, yes, looks like a big kidney bean), and Buckingham Fountain. Eat at The Berghoff on Adams for some really good German food (GREAT ROAST BEEF); not sure if they are open on weekends. Take a sightseeing boat on the lake. You can get a beautiful view of the skyline.

I also second the Museum of Science and Industry. It's huge and interesting. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 05:46 AM

I agree with all of the recommendations here. Was there 3 years ago (can't believe its been that long already).

Definitely look at the CAF Boat Tour on the River. It was the highlight of our trip.

We liked the Hancock Building more than Willis because of the location near the lake but given the glass enclosure, that may be more interesting for your son.

What games are they going to?
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 06:34 AM

Since you seem to be baseball fans, you might also want to take a tour of Wrigley if they are holding them during your visit. The Cubs website has a schedule. I took my DH and Dad a few years back and they really enjoyed it.
Here's the link...
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ballpark/index.jsp
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 07:28 AM
JJ5

Do one of the tours on the River- NOT out onto the Lake- if you only have time to do the one.

Shedd Aquarium is super close and not a bus ride away and takes about 3 hours. Strongly rec- my grandkids, even the ones that drive now- like that one the best. It's not the same as many other aquariums are, and I've been to about 6 or 7. BETTER and the architecture is super interesting.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM

I agree with the recommendation for the Museum of Science and Industry......the U-505 German submarine exhibit is fascinating, and there is an exhibit on transportation your son may enjoy.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Hi blueslipper,
Maybe give the box office at Second City and ImprovOlympic a call and ask if there are any scripted comedy/improv shows that are all right for a 16 year old. They have programs every night of the week.

And if the son would like to buy some hipster clothes, the two of them could walk down Broadway or Clark before/after the game and pop into some of the boutiques (and many of "male-friendly") for tees, hats, messenger bags, shoes. I know places like P+L, Urban Outfitters, threadless are popular places for young people.
http://boutiqueville.com/chicago-bou...uide-lakeview/

Hope they have a good time!
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 07:13 AM

Don't leave Chicago without trying the deep dish pizza. We like Lou Malnati's and Pizzaria Uno.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions.
They are strictly Cubbie fans - so seeing 3 games at Wrigley.