Search

1st Ever Trip to San Francisco- questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Ever Trip to San Francisco- questions

First Time San Francisco Trip!
My husband and I are planning a trip for our 2nd anniversary and I am beyond excited to travel to San Francisco. We'll be heading there in early January 2013 and I am trying to sort out a nice itinerary. I need some help on the order of what we'd like to do-- how to group our 'must do's into reasonable days so we're not trying to run all over the city.

Here's a list of some of our favorite items-- if any of you could help me understand the best way to arrange our days, we would sincerely appreciate it. We'll have 3 or 4 days (yet to be determined) perhaps staying at the Orchard Hotel near Union Square. Afterwards, we plan on renting a car and driving to Big Sur for 1 night! Possibly staying at Lucia Lodge (please let us know if that is a bad idea).

Our 'must do's at this time, in no particular order!

-Chinatown
-Pier 39 only to see the sea lions
-Golden Gate bridge, of course
-Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory
-Tin How Temple (I've read about some amazing paper lanterns here)
-Japanese Tea Garden
-Lombard Crooked Street
-Fisherman's Wharf (only to get an original irish coffee-- NOT to shop)
-Coit Tower (is it worth it?) and possibly walking down the stairs, trying to see a wild parrot or two??
-Alcatraz (night tour, we think??)
-Cable cars
-Amazing line of homes by the "Full House" home

Any help would be greatly appreciated! We want a nice mix of relaxation with the amazing sights. I completely realize we had to cut out some amazing things in order to keep the trip around 5 days total. Big Sur just seems too breathtaking to cut out. Lucia Lodge was the only place I was finding with that true coastal view; however, I am very open to suggestions.

Again, thank you!
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 09:46 AM

Fodor's contributor, Stu Dudley is our resident SFO expert. If you search the forums for stududley's posts, you will find his extensive and excellent guide to San Francisco.

Depending on the time of your visit, Alcatraz visits are often sold out in advance. When you have dates, you should contact about purchasing tickets.

When visiting Big Sur, be sure to have lunch at the Nepentha outdoor restaurant for superb coastal view.

I would add Muir Woods to your plan if you have not visited a redwood forest. Less than an hour drive from Union Square, you can enjoy in a half day.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 09:58 AM

I would absolutely plan to walk down the stairs from Coit Tower (depending on the weather, of course, January is the rainy/colder season here), but I would also plan to walk up. Starting on the Embarcadero, walk to Montgomery and Vallejo. Walk up the Vallejo Steps to Kearny Street. Turn right on Kearny and walk up to the back of Coit Tower. Walk up the steps to Coit Tower. View the downstairs (free) murals. Leave via the front door, walk down the exit road just a little and go down the stairs back to Montgomery. Turn right on Union Street and walk over to North Beach and Chinatown.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 10:05 AM

Check these free tours out; we have done close to 2 dozen of them: http://www.sfcityguides.org/

I did this trip report after a stay in January.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-francisco.cfm

And for a truly amazing experience, Ana Neuvo State PArk to see the elephant seals - http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=523
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:36 AM

Read the other current post in here about another traveler's eperience with the aggressive panhandlers in Union Square/SF. (Ca Coast Drive great - SF not so much).

And you tours look fine. I would include walking along the Marina Green/Marina area http://tinyurl.com/87s9yfa and http://tinyurl.com/82zslej -

perhaps also visiting the Palace of Fine Arts - http://tinyurl.com/7unekvh

and maybe walking further out to Ft. Point - underneath the GG Bridge:

http://tinyurl.com/85yuonj
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:07 PM

Beautiful, famous place in Big Sur.

http://www.postranchinn.com/

Their prices might be a bit high for you to afford. Their views far outshine the Lucia Lodge.

Regardless, to to the Sierra Mar Restaurant there. The views are spectacular, as is the food.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Our son and his family live in SF- we have been there twice and love it. We were just there
at the beginning of March. One thing we love doing
Is taking the ferry to Sausolito Bay- even if you don't like
to shop, there are wonderful restaurants and
beautiful views. Walking around Golden Gate Park and Haight Ashbury (eat at ASKEW- so good) was fun. Of course the weather will be questionable in January so dress warm!
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 08:00 AM

I live in SF. One thing to consider about Big Sur: Plan your drive time. The trip down from SF to Monterey Peninsula is about 2 and 3/4 hours in normal traffic. You can hit heavier traffic especially around San Jose. Plan for extra time to get there. I do this drive frequently. It is not quick if you hit rush hour or accident. At least you will be able to use the diamond lane for 2+ people in a car.

If you do Big Sur at end of your SF trip you may want to book your departure flight out of San Jose. This airport is much easier to use than SFO and is on the same highway.....just much closer to Big Sur.

You may want to fly into San Jose, rent your car and head south to Big Sur. (Avoids Silicon Valley traffic). Finish that area then get rid of your car for the SF part of the trip as you do not want a car in SF. The parking fees at the hotels are terrible and the parking in the city is limited and expensive.

SF has a good HOP ON, HOP OFF bus tour. I would do that first thing to get yourself acclimated with the City. You can get a two day pass that will take you all over, cross the GG Bridge and back. Then you can go back to certain areas to see and enjoy more.

Book Alcatraz in advance. January is a slow time for tourists and there may not be a crowd, but you never know. It is very popular so better to book the time you want in advance than not being able to make the trip.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 01:45 AM

If you will have a car, try to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and explore the Marin Headlands. I love the view of the Golden Gate Bridge from the viewpoint at the beginning of the Headlands. We also enjoyed the Point Bonita Lighthouse.

We also like the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. Great for picking up snacks for on the road or in the hotel room.