Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fashion District (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fashion-district-214927/)

Marsha May 6th, 2002 11:29 AM

Fashion District

Where is a good hotel to stay if I want to be near the Fashion District (Bloomingdales, Macy's, Tiffany's, etc.)? Planning a trip with 2 sisters and Mom for fall of 2002 and Mom can't walk as far or fast as us girls. We hope to get a room with two beds to accommodate all of us in one room. Any advise would be great. Thanks!

Cat May 6th, 2002 11:38 AM

Marsha:<BR>try www.avalonny.com. Right down the block from Macy's and the Empire State building. They are always running internet specials. Good luck!

alex May 6th, 2002 11:43 AM

Marsha,<BR>I assume you are talking about New York?The places you have mentioned are not really close to one another. If, as you say walking is an issue, they'd be quite far apart. However, by cab they are not that far.<BR><BR>As others will tell you, there is no "fashion district." The Garment District is on the westside in the mid-thirties. It is a manufacturing and design center, not a haven for retail.<BR><BR>Macy's is the closest to the Garment District as it is on 34th Street between 7th and Broadway.<BR><BR>Bloomingdales in about 20 blocks and several avenues from Macy's. Roughly a mile and a half. Tiffany's is on 5th Ave. in the mid-50's.<BR>

Statia May 6th, 2002 12:04 PM

Marsha:<BR><BR>Another hotel near Macy's and Manhattan Mall, along with lots of other shopping, is Hotel Stanford (hotelstanford.com). I stay there often and recently paid $150 per night including tax.<BR><BR>You could walk to Macy's and take a cab to the other locations you'd like to see, since they are not close, as the previous poster stated. Keep in mind that Macy's NY is so big that you could spend an entire day in that store alone (wear comfortable shoes).<BR><BR>Also, NYC hotel rooms can be quite small. A double room (two double beds) is tight for my friend and I on our trips there. You might want to opt for a suite. We are staying three to a suite at the same hotel in June for almost the same cost.<BR><BR>Have fun!

cindy May 6th, 2002 01:28 PM

As others have mentioned, the three places you mentioned are not really that close to each other (more than a mile from Macy's to Bloomies, Tiffany's about 1/3-1/2 mile from Bloomies,, a <BR>mile to Macy's) but any hotel in 'midtown' will put you within walking distance of one or more, and short bus/train/cab ride from the others.<BR>Pick your hotel based on other criteria such as price and amenities (feel free to look at previous posts on this board, and come back here with questions on specific hotels you find).<BR>The hotels nearest to Macy's for example, are somewhat downscale (and less expensive) than other parts of midtown. The area is also less interesting in terms of restaurants and other stores, and not an area that you'd want to walk around at night--not so much because it's unsafe as because there's really nothing to see.