Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fascinating Video: Pack with Carry-On for 60 Days (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fascinating-video-pack-with-carry-on-for-60-days-972200/)

Songdoc Mar 27th, 2013 01:46 PM

Fascinating Video: Pack with Carry-On for 60 Days

Had to share this video with my Hawaii-loving friends. I'm the king of carry-on. Hawaii's easy, but my greatest achievement was a trip to Rome combined with a cruise (requiring jacket & tie)--all with carry-on. This video is really amazing.

I don't think I'll be able to do it for my upcoming trip down under because it will require quite a bit of business-related electronics, computer, and workshop materials, as well as cold-weather clothing for winter in Southern New Zealand. But I'm going to try! Recently did it for three weeks of freezing weather in Europe--so maybe with this method, it'll be possible.

I'll be starting and ending in Kauai!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDn9l20NlWw

azzure Mar 27th, 2013 03:28 PM

I might give it a try, but I also use giant zip-lock bags to compress things with success. I notice no sleepwear was packed, nor bulky things like sweaters, men's socks and underwear.

willowjane Mar 27th, 2013 03:52 PM

WOW! I might have to give this a try.

janisj Mar 27th, 2013 06:10 PM

Jon H. (the guy in the video) is a friend of mine. I teach a variation on his system - in fact I learned it from his mother 25 years ago. I concentrate more on the actual clothes/shoes/etc and not all the packing accessories Jon includes. After all he is in the business of selling luggage, organizers and packing products. My theory is every extra gadget/gizmo/organizer takes space that could hold clothing.

In my classes I actually get more garments/outfits into the bag.

Songdoc Mar 27th, 2013 06:17 PM

I used the zip-lock bags several times and they worked well. I think for the bulky things like sweaters they would work better than this system.

The guy on the video probably packed more than double the amount I would need for a trip. I don't care how many times I wear the same thing. But I'm sure it's more challenging for women.

When my sister visits me in Kauai she brings 6 pairs of jeans and twelve blouses for two weeks--even though I have a washer & dryer! Her suitcase is typically over the 50 pound limit--and she also brings a 22" carry-on bag.

I bring a pair of shorts, an aloha shirt, a bathing suit, flip-flops, underwear, and a few T-shirts for six weeks.

Melnq8 Mar 27th, 2013 06:33 PM

FYI Sondoc -

If you're flying Air NZ be aware they have a 7 kg carry on weight limit, as do many Australian airlines. Air NZ often weighs your carry on at check in.

Dukey1 Mar 28th, 2013 03:26 AM

I wish I THOUGHT those "two pairs of shoes" were size 12 like my own.

Ackislander Mar 28th, 2013 03:42 AM

Or my size 14!

suze Mar 28th, 2013 09:55 AM

<I don't care how many times I wear the same thing. But I'm sure it's more challenging for women.>

It is only "more challenging" if the woman minds wearing the same things over and over (I don't) -lol!

janisj Mar 28th, 2013 09:55 AM

Actually - size of shoes doesn't matter very much. If they are very large (13+) then you probably only have room for one pair in the suitcase but could probably fit in a second pair of flip flops or sandals.

Remember - you can stuff a lot of 'stuff' inside those shoes in the bag - socks, small electronics, non-liquid toiletries, even my small folding tripod, etc.

In my half day class I demo both male and female wardrobes and use two pair of size 11 men's - one sort of topsider slip on and one laced dress shoe.

Songdoc Mar 28th, 2013 03:16 PM

Melnq8: Thanks. It turns out that due to schedules and prices all my internal Australia & NZ flights will be on Jetstar. But I think all the airlines down under weigh any carry-on that looks like it might be overweight. I was surprised when Qantas (leaving from Los Angeles) weighed some carry-ons.

I already paid for a checked bag on those flights--but it would be nice if I could manage with a checked bag that is 22." But because of the work materials I'm pretty sure I'll have to take a larger bag. It just goes against my principles!!! ;-)

My new secret weapon is my travel vest. It has enormous pockets that can carry quite a bit--including my camera and computer--and it doesn't get weighed.

BarbAnn Mar 28th, 2013 03:37 PM

OK janisj, where do you teach the class? I need to take it!

janisj Mar 28th, 2013 03:50 PM

BarbAnn: >>OK janisj, where do you teach the class? I need to take it!<<

Mostly at local Libraries and professional organizations. Have done several sessions really close to you. (in towns just down the hill across the county line and just up the hill ;) )

I've taken a break since late last Fall because I've been so busy settling my Mom's estate, a couple of semi-major remodeling projects, and several trips. Hope to pick up again later this year.

BarbAnn Mar 28th, 2013 04:09 PM

Bummer. I really need to learn to pack light. We are going to Africa next February and are limited to a duffel bag weighing no more than 12 kilos. We will be gone 23 days.

janisj Mar 28th, 2013 04:42 PM

jeeze - 12 kilos/26 lbs is a LOT. A 21 inch rollie or equivalent sized duffel filled to the max shouldn't weigh more than 24-25 lbs. Mine usually weighs around 20 lbs give or take. A little more in winter a little less in winter - main difference isn't the heavier clothes BTW but heavier shoes vs. lighter shoes/sandals. That is for a 3 or 4 week trip - well, any length trip really.

You won't have a problem.

BarbAnn Mar 28th, 2013 05:55 PM

I hope so...I'm already beginning to stress.

Melnq8 Mar 31st, 2013 06:35 PM

Songdoc - Jetstar is even worse - be sure to read the fine print and abide by their policies. The good thing is that you can take all the liquid you want on domestic flights within OZ and NZ. We were once told by Jetstar that we could take as much wine as we wanted in our carry on as long as it didn't exceed the weight limit:)

Songdoc Apr 1st, 2013 03:53 PM

Thank, for the heads-up, Melnq8. I shouldn't have any problem. We'll both definitely have to check a bag because of all the electronics and work-related items. Since I'm used to traveling so light I should have plenty of room with the checked bag--and we travel with a mini-travel scale so we can stay under the weight limits.

I'm getting excited. The first leg (Kauai) will be two weeks from today! OMG, I have so much work to do!!!