Family w/ 2 boys (7 and 9) looking for Orlando advice - tix, parks etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be going to Orlando the week of Valentine's Day with the kids (2 boys ages 7 and 9).

We are staying at a timeshare by Marriott.

I am at a loss as to what parks the kids will really enjoy and how to plan them - assuming we will do 5 days at a park(s). Let me preface this by saying I was last in Orlando in 1972 when I was 6 - Epcot was new then! And how crowded can we expect them to be? Again, hard to imagine!

They love Harry Potter so we need to go to that park. They have no real affinity with any Disney characters and will be interested in rides at amusement parks, as well as anything with animals and/or water. Neither hubby nor I are big amusement park fans so this is not easy

SeaWorld sounds great. I think Harry Potter is part of Universal, isn't it?

We live in Williamsburg, VA with Busch Gardens and Water Country at our back door so we want to ensure that the experiences are unique.

I just went to the Disney site with ticket information and was overwhelmed - so many options and I am at a loss as to how many days we'll stay in each park.

Also, can anyone recommend the Orlando Science Museum? We have a reciprocal membership and thought it could be fun.

FInally, any ideas for dining? Since we're in the timeshare, we will cook a fair amount but the one thing we want to try to avoid is a lot of junk food. If anyone has suggestions for places where the food is really good and somewhat healthy, please feel free to share!

Thanks, in advance, for any tips!

Cheers
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 03:45 AM

I recommend 2 books.

For the official line with lots of color photos:
http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Walt.../dp/142311700X

For a more unbiased view with lots of great planning tips:
http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Gui...ref=pd_sim_b_4

Also, I suggest that you check out this website:
www.disboards.com

Very friendly people there with tons of information.

Harry Potter is at Universal. Don't rule out the various Disney parks. Many of the rides there are more like multimedia experiences rather than typical amusement park rides. For boys the ages of your sons I would especially recommend the Buzz Lightyear ride, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and the Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom. At Epcot they'd probably like Test Track. At Hollywood Studios I'd especially recommend Toy Story Mania. At Animal Kingdom the Everest ride is fabulous!

One last tip - be sure to educate yourself about fast passes.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 04:31 AM

"Also, can anyone recommend the Orlando Science Museum? We have a reciprocal membership and thought it could be fun."

Yes, very worthwhile & a good choice. http://www.osc.org

"FInally, any ideas for dining? Since we're in the timeshare, we will cook a fair amount but the one thing we want to try to avoid is a lot of junk food. If anyone has suggestions for places where the food is really good and somewhat healthy, please feel free to share!
"

There are probably almost as many dining choices as there are hotels. It would be helpful to know your budget and general likes & dislikes, particularly with 2 boys ages 7 and 9.

One more thing I would add. Orlando is much more than theme parks. Coming in mid-February, all of you might be interested in seeing some manatees at Blue Spring State Park http://www.floridastateparks.org/bluespring/default.cfm about 25 miles north of Orlando, just a few miles off I-4.

Old Dec 30th, 2010, 04:36 AM

I was just in Orlando for work and a colleague and I visited Universal to see the Harry Potter section (which looked very realistic!). Some things I noticed were that the park had a bunch of water rides that looked like a lot of fun for kids. You get soaked! We also really enjoyed the Jurassic Park area but wondered if kids have even seen the movies nowadays. It was the most uncrowded area. We both agreed that if we came with kids we would have them watch the movie first so they could appreciate it.

We stayed in a condo and really enjoyed the restaurant Bahama Breeze which had great salads and light Mexican/Caribbean style food in a nice atmosphere with outdoor seating. It was on International Drive where there were many restaurant choices.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 04:38 AM

You will get lots of good advice. I have only 2 bits to add - 1. Your kids are old enough to do some research - they will be excited at helping to plan the trip as far as what to see. What better time than now they learn the beginnings of travel planning.

2. Repeat at least 3 times/day from now until and thru trip. "This trip is about having fun as a family. We do not win any prizes for seeing the most stuff in the least time. If the kids want to spend a day at the condo pool or hanging out late one morning in their jammies it is not a waste of time"
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 09:10 AM

I haven't been to Universal since the new Harry Potter ride, but my favorites are Mission Space at Epcot and The Simpsons at Universal. SeaWorld has a new water park, too. Just avoide the gas stations near the rental car return lots - they're usually at least a full $2.00 higher per gallon than anywhere else in town.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 09:34 AM

Good point, boandjill.
For those who may not be aware of this, here is a lengthy history about the frustration and anger about these two rip-off artists: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/orlan...on-ripoff.html

Old Dec 30th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Great advice - thanks to all. Luckily, we won't at all think it's a waste of time to spend a day at the pool or to go visit non-amusement park places. That's what my husband and I would prefer honestly . The kids eat anything - and we don't want to go to a 5 star restaurant with them (because they eat so well it would cost and arm and a leg!) but we want fresh food (if possible) and tasty. The kids will love taking a role to do some research - great idea!

Will look at the books and websites you all have suggested - thank you!!

Cheers!
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Basically, plan one park for each day. Our favorites have always been Disneys 2 waterparks. I would for sure do Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and a waterpark. Universal, MGM, Epcot(in that order), would be my next preferences.

Do have your trip somewhat planned out and make reservations at meals when possible. I think people that plan Disney always have a better time when they get there. It doesn't have to be a rigid schedule, but planning on parades, etc is helpful. For those parades, have one adult arrive 1-2 before it starts, in order to get a good spot to sit.
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 07:09 PM

"so we want to ensure that the experiences are unique."

In addition to Orlando Vic's Blue Spring suggestion:

Gatorland. Actually, more than gators. http://www.gatorland.com/
Forever Florida. An old Florida ranch with Eco-safaris and ziplining http://www.foreverflorida.com/
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM

Second vote for Gatorland. It is a combination of being funny and interesting - at your kids' ages mine talked about it more than all the Mouse Experiences combined. And a nice break to go someplace much smaller with fewer crowds - and where the animals are actually alive and not animated or robotic.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 06:44 AM

Universal and Sea World are cheaper options to Disney.
Sea World's one day ticket is very good value as allows you to come back another day for free within the same week (click on 'details' under the i day ticket option on their website).

Harry Potter hadn't opened when we were in Universal last May but advice from friends is that you should go early as it's the busiest part of the park (no surprise!).

We burn out easily at theme parks and tend to spend maybe 2 or 3 days out of 5 at the parks. That said we always fit in one day at Magic Kingdom and as spirobulldog said it's good to plan!

In 5 days I'd tackle Universal (Islands of Adventure), Sea World (full day), Magic Kingdom and return visit to Sea World (free; maybe for half day)plus a day cooling out or other non theme park activities.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Hey everyone - leaving in the morning! Thanks for all of the tips - if there is any last-minute advice, feel free to send! Cheers
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 11:16 AM

Let us know how it went and have fun!
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 03:48 PM

At that age they are old enough for much of Epcot and young enough for most of Magic Kingdom.

Agree to let them look at a guidebook or the website and pick some things they would like to do - they will enjoy a lot more if they know what to expect.