Family Vacation--Chicago or Cleveland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all. We are a NJ family of four (children are both girls, ages 11 and 8). We're starting to plan our family vacation for this year. We've already been to Disney (several times), Toronto, Niagara Falls, Williamsburg, DC, and Baltimore. Last year's trip included Toronto, and the kids loved it, so we're looking into another city vacation this year. We're looking for amusement parks, museums, ballgames, etc.--we're not really into hiking or anything 'outdoorsy' like that. So far, the ideas brought up have been Chicago and Cleveland--can anyone provide their opinions on which would be better for a 4-6 day vacation, as well as some of the sites and potential places to stay? We'd plan on having a car in either city, so proximity to a specific attraction isn't a must.

Thanks in advance--this board has helped me out many times in the past.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:10 AM

We did a spring break in Chicago with the kids and had a great time. We stayed at the Hampton Suites just off of Michigan Ave. It was very nice and for some reason, it was about half the price of the nearby Embassy Suites. We went to the Art Institute, the Museum of Science and Industry, a Frank Lloyd Wright house, Navy Pier, and of course, AMERICAN GIRL PLACE, pizza at Dues, etc.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:47 AM

I vote for Chicago too, although we haven't been to Cleveland for many years. Chicago will have museums, shopping, baseball. When we vacationed there, we stayed at the Homewood Suites just off Michigan Ave. Good hotel, great location, with a free breakfast. Also, you can take a boat tour of the river and lake and go up the John Hancock Building for the view.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:20 AM

I used to live in Chicago and I currently live in Cleveland, and I'd say Chicago hands down. The only thing that Cleveland has over Chicago is that it would be much cheaper, but Chicago wins in everything else. If you're going to be driving from NJ, you might want to consider a stop at Cedar Point on your way there or back if you're an amusement park fan, though.

Sounds like your kids are getting some great family trips!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:36 AM

My vote's for Chicago. Lots and lots more to do for everyone involved.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:07 PM

Definitly Chicago. There is tons more to do, especially with kids. Cleveland is really fun for an older, bar, sports games, sort of crowd.

Skip the Lincoln Park zoo and go staight to Brookfield if you are into zoos. The kids would love Navy Pier and a boat ride. Michigan Ave. is a fun day of shopping. You can even go to the beach if you want. Take the el train up to Wrigley for a great ballpark experience.

Chicago has a lot more life than Cleveland.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:51 PM

Chicago Chicago Chicago!
I used to live near Cleveland and it's really not in the same league.
With girls of any age, be sure to stop in at the American Girl store. The museums, the aquarium, the park, the walking and gawking...lots and lots of fun.
Look at Chicago on this forum for tons of ideas.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM

I've never been to Cleveland, but I would definitely say to go to Chicago.

We used to live in Chicago (pre-kids), and take the kids back for a visit every several years. We always stay at Homewood Suites on Grand - not my choice for ambiance, but it's great to be able to have the kids sleep in a separate room, the location is fantastic, and the kids love that free breakfast.

A car is somewhat of a liability in Chicago; the parking fees will be relatively high, and you can get everywhere much more easily by public transportation (which the kids love anyway).

The Museum of Science and Industry is worh almost an entire day. The Art Institute is world-class and a must-see, even if the kids aren't particularly fine art lovers. Lincoln Park Zoo is a beautiful (and free) city zoo, though small by general zoo standards. The Aquarium and the Planeterium are also very good. A boat ride on the lake is good; most of them also go a short way up and down the Chicago River.

In addition to Cedar Point, if you're driving, there's an amusement park outside of Chicago. I don't remember the name, but I know it's there!

During the summar, if that's when you're going, there are all sorts of festivals, which can be very fun. Millenium Park is a nice stroll. Don't miss the huge outdoor artwork in the Loop; not too many cities of pieces of that significance. Take the kids for drinks in the John Hancock building - much easier to get to than the Sears Tower.

Under duress, I took my daughter for tea at American Girl Place last year. It was a surprisingly nice experience. The food was actually tasty, the view of the Water Tower out the window was gorgeous, and the service very helpful and attentive (it probably helped that it was my daughter's birthday). Other than that, it's a big store full of every American Girl product, so I hate to suggest it as a destination in itself.

You'll all have a great time in Chicago.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:15 PM
KMK

Let me be a bit of a contrarian, since I just spent the last 40 years living on the outskirts of Cleveland.

You CAN certainly find everything you are looking for in Cleveland. This is not to say that Chicago isn't bigger/better/more - I wouldn't dare argue that point. But, you CAN have a good time in Cleveland.

First, Cleveland is going to be far easier to drive around - it's more compact and far less traffic. Second, you're probably going to HAVE to drive around Cleveland, the public transportation is not optimal.

Next, the items you mention:

1. Amusement parks. Geauga Lake (formerly Six Flags, formerly Geauga Lake & I THINK it is now Geauga Lake again) east of town, Cedar Point west of town. On the amusement park front, I believe Cedar Point is one of the tops in the country.

2. Museums. Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & Great Lakes Science Center downtown. University Circle area - art museum, natural history museum, auto museum, health museum, all in a gorgeous setting.

3. Ballgames. Cleveland Indians at the lovely Jacobs Field. It's not an old classic like Wrigley Field, but it is viewed as one of the best of the newer generation of ballparks (consistently I have heard sports people rate it higher than where the White Sox play). A very nice place to see a game.

You can also take a boat ride on Lake Erie, and I believe there is a sub or some other ship (I'm sorry, don't recall exactly) docked in the area for tours.

Now, you'll have to try to figure out which city is 'better' for your purposes. Good luck - and have a great time wherever you go!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Cleveland ! Hands Down
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 04:08 AM

I think that you'd enjoy Chicago more than Cleveland. However, I think that having a car (and driving it to attractions) would be an expensive liability (and most downtown hotels charge for parking as well). There are loads of attractions for children here ranging from Navy Pier, the Museums (they might be a bit old for the Children's museum, that is 'just okay' in my opinion), baseball games, Millenium Park (if you come in the summer you'll see loads of children of all ages playing in the fountain), the lakeshore, Lincoln Park Zoo (or Brookfield in the burbs), a pizza place (Gino's East moved back to their old location and you can write on the walls again, so I've heard).
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Chicago. Its not even close.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Although I agree that there's much more to do in Chicago, you could certainly fill 4 or 5 days in Cleveland more cheaply.

Depending when you're planning to come, hotels are very expensive in Chicago this summer because of the large number of conventions.

On the plus side, the tall ships (that were in Cleveland last week) will be at Navy Pier August 4-6 and the annual Air and Water Show will be August 19 and 20.

The amusement park near Chicago is Six Flags Great America. It's in Gurnee about 45-minutes north of the city.

If you'll have a car, there are many other attractions close to Cleveland. There's Stan Hwyet Hall in Akron. It's the estate of Goodyear Rubber founder Charles Seiberling.

If you wanted to add some education to vacation, there's the William McKinley Monument in Niles and closeby in Canton is the Football Hall of Fame for dad. ;-)

There's also Put-In-Bay west of Cleveland where you could take the ferry and spend at least a day exploring.

If you decide on Chicago, when would you be coming and what's your hotel budget? Staying downtown would be the ideal way to experience everything, but the drawback is room cost and parking which can be up to $40 per day extra.

The best way to get around is public transportation. Multi-day passes are available. Check www.transitchicago.com for fares,maps info.

If you can't find a room downtown, your best alternatives would be Rosemont, around O'Hare, or Evanston. Both areas are served by el/subway trains that can get you downtown in about 30-40 minutes.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:44 AM

This post was started in February. Wherever they decided to go, I have a feeling this OP has come and gone by now!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 10:02 AM

hoopstraveler15 -- why did you dig up this old post?