Great meal in San Antonio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a great meal this evening at La Frite, 728 South Alamo. The ambiance is warm and welcoming, atmosphere quite like a Belgian/French bistro but authentically so as opposed to that stereotype environment reminiscent of a cheap lithograph from a Montmartre vendor. Everything we saw served at neighboring tables looked great and folks seemed to leave with a contented expression. The prix fixe at $38 for three courses was a good value but more food than we wanted. Our moules (Marinières for me, pesto for SO) were perfectly prepared, and the accompanying frites also quite good. The low point was the bread which was by no means awful, just not as good as everything else. If they could manage to get their hands on a good baguette it would be like a virtual visit to Paris. The mousse au chocolat dessert was perfection. Wine list not huge but respectable and very reasonably priced. Service was first rate - attentive but not sycophantic. This place is a real keeper. From discussion with the owners most of the business is local but it is located very conveniently for visitors staying in the downtown area. http://www.lafritesa.com/
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 07:07 AM
OO

Thanks for the review Seamus. Every time I go past there I tell myself we need to try it! Maybe now I actually WILL make a point of doing so once we are back!
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Do put it on your list, OO - well worth it. Place was originally opened by Damien Watel of local French food resto fame, bought by current owners a couple years ago and IMO has only gotten better since (and wasn't at all bad to start.) Parking can be a hassle in that neighborhood but they now have an agreement to let dinner customers park in the Goodyear lot across the street.
If I can figure out how to do it I'll add an entry for this to the Fodor's listings for SA
Old Dec 24th, 2011, 09:12 AM

Wow, I'm out of the loop. I hadn't even heard of it. We'll probably give it a try over the break.

Have either of you tried Lüks?
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi from Mexico City, y'all, and Feliz Navidad!
Have not yet tried Luk's but hear very good things.
BTW did you know that Damien Watel's bakery on McCullough sells macarons? Also on my list to try
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 09:40 AM
OO

Haven't tried it fyb. Haven't even heard of it! It's on my list now.

Feliz Navidad, Seamus. Know you are having a good one! Did not know about that bakery either. The real thing macarons, as in Laduree's?? The hotel got them occasionally for special events but I think they were shipped in from NY. I need a fix!
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 01:29 PM

I didn't know about it either, but here's the link and they look scrumptuous:

http://www.authenticfrenchmacaroons.com/macaroons/

Enjoy your holiday south of the border, Seamus! Are you back from FL, OO?
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 02:28 PM
OO

Drool! They look fabulous! Can't wait to try them! We are in FL until April fyb, though have discussed spending winters in SA and summers in St Pete, after this past summer!
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
P_M

Feliz Navidad Seamus, you must be visiting the in-laws. So much good food in SA and not just Tex Mex. Thanks for the info.
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Your usual keen analytic sense continues to impress, P_M ;-). Here til Wednesday then on to NYC for a couple days then NYE with famly in PA. Enough good eats that I won't suffer too very much being away from home. Hope you're having a swell holiday!
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 10:53 AM
P_M

I do have a keen analytic sense, but it's our psychic connection that continues to impress me the most. Also due to that connection, I bought tamales for our Christmas dinner. I believe on some level I knew you would be having Mexican food for Christmas so that's why I was craving tamales.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.