Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family trip to Long Beach, Washington first week in June.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 05:27 PM
Dad

We are planning a family trip to Long Beach, Washington first week on June. We will be flying in to Portland and driving up to Long Beach. Should we drive thru Mt St. Helens route or over to Seaside then up? What can we expect for weather conditions? Is there enough to do for kids if it is raining? And is the "rain" at that time of year short afternoon showers, or constant rain? I know I am asking you to predict the weather-but just in general. Has anyone heard of the Chautauqua Lodge? What about the Whale tale? I'd like all the info about the place you can tell me thanks.
The Dad

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 05:46 PM
sheri

Mt. St. Helens is definitly out of the way, but you might want to drive there one way and back to Portland the other, as Mt. St. Helens is pretty interesting (I think). If you do drive Rt. 26 to 101 both ways, then in one direction you should take the time to do the "scenic route" on Rt. 202 through Jewell--it takes quite a bit longer (winding road) but it's a pretty drive and the elk refuge at Jewell is very cool if the elk herd is visible.

Weather--SO hard to predict! Could be nice, but June is usually pretty iffy (we not-so-jokingly refer to Fourth of July weekend as the last weekend of winter around here!). Bring goretex and plan on getting out anyway!

I don't know either of the places you mention--but the Klipsan Beach Cottages are cute and very suitable for families.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 06:10 PM
John

Dear Dad:
Unfortunately June is usually the wettest month of spring, but with the crazy weather we’ve had this winter, anything might happen.
You should not drive to Long Beach via either Mt. St. Helens or Seaside, unless you’re planning on taking a major detour.
Take US 30 from Portland to Astoria, then cross to the Washington side of the Columbia River on the Astoria Bridge/US 101. Drive north on US 101 towards Ilwaco; follow directions to Seaview, then continue on WA 103 to Long Beach.
You could also drive north from Portland to Longview, WA and either
--cross the river to the Oregon side and continue on US 30 to Astoria, or
--take WA 4 from Longview to Us 101; follow direction signs to the Long Beach Peninsula. This is the more scenic of the routes to the coast but is slow going because the road is pretty curvaceous.
You want to plan for a stop in Astoria. There’s a great maritime museum, with an old light ship, et al. If you want to tire out the kids, make them climb the hilltop Astoria Column (great views). You should also visit nearby Fort Clatsop, a reconstruction of Lewis & Clark’s winter quarters.
There’s even more to do on the Washington side of the river. Stop at the visitor center (very helpful and friendly staff) at the south end of Seaview, or check out Long Beach Peninsula info at
www.funbeach.com
As to your lodging, I prefer the Whale’s Tale to the Chautauqua Lodge, because it’s in the center of town. But I haven’t traveled with children, and the C. Lodge might offer more space for the kids.
Be sure to bring a kite or buy one as soon as you get to town. The beach is one of the best places in the world for flying kites.

Chautauqua Lodge
304 14th St. N.
Long Beach, WA 98631
(360) 642-4401 or (800) 869-8401

Whale's Tale Motel & Book Shop
620 S. Pacific
Long Beach, WA 98631
(360) 642-3455 or (800) 55 WHALE

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 09:44 PM
sgorces

I have stayed at the Chautauqua Lodge and found it acceptable, but no better. I don't know the Whales Tale, but the message above would be consistent with my experience at CL. CL does have a nice beachfront location and some rooms where it's easy to combine two into a suite at fairly reasonable prices, it was a nice setup for our family. Route 30 is the most direct way to go, but the much longer drive up to Mt. St. Helens is worthwhile. Just don't be fooled by the maps, the highways on the Washington side are not as direct or as 30, so the trip would be longer. You should expect rain in June and if you get nice weather count yourself lucky. My late June birthday is almost never sunny. There's fun stuff to do for kids in Long Beach, even more in Seaside if you get down that way. Also, visit the Coast Guard post at the mouth of the Columbia, they will often explain to kids how they keep watch and describe some of their dramatic rescues. This was a real highlight. Also, walk around the marina at Illwaco when the fishing boats come in, you can often see some awesome catch. Have fun but be cautious of the surf, what seems fun can turn dangerous easily.

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 08:20 AM
sheri

Just a little question on John's post--I'm not sure how the Seaside route could be construed as a "major detour". According to my map of Oregon, it's 91 miles from Portland to Astoria via Rts 26 and 101, vs. 104 miles via Rt. 30. I know I've driven both routes and I don't recall any major time differences (if anything, going by Rt. 30 seemed longer to me; maybe we just hit some bad traffic leaving Portland). John, am I missing something? I don't think there are any road closures on 101 that far up...

One further note for "Dad"--My Mom's Pie Shop (or something like that) in Long Beach has awesome pies, esp. the blackberry. And a hearty second to the idea of spending time at the Coast Guard center in Ilwaco (Fort Canby is the name of the park)--there's also an interesting Lewis & Clark interpretive center there. Be sure to go out to the lighthouse that's on the west (ocean)side of the park as well.

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 09:10 AM
John

Dear Sheri:
I don't know when you've last been to Seaside, but to me it represents the worst excesses of commercial development on the Oregon COast (only eclipsed in ugliness by Lincoln City). If I could, I'd drive through Seaside with my eyes closed. Yeah, there's a beach, but what else?
I also don't know when you've last eaten at My Mom's Pie Kitchen. But you can find better pies at Safeway.

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 09:23 AM
sheri

John, I wasn't suggesting that they GO to Seaside, just saying that the DRIVE via that routing isn't a "major detour" as you seemed to suggest. I agree, Seaside is incredibly tacky. Sorry that wasn't clear from my post.

It has been a while since I had pie at My Mom's but I have memories of a wonderful blackberry pie....So sad to hear it has gone downhill .

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 09:57 AM
John

Dear Sheri:
What I wass mostly concerned about was not sending a driver inexperienced with the twists and turns of Northwest roads (and those ubiquitous logging trucks) down a very busy (and often congested) highway and have him be disappointed by the sights.
True, Hwy 30, like Hwy 26, passes through some rather unappealing Portland suburbs on the way to the coast, but at least you don't have to fight your way through downtown Portland traffic. I have consistently found Hwy 30, to be the fastest road to Astoria.
Not so long ago, downtown Long Beach was as tacky as Seaside, but Long Beach has taken steps to improve its image. The town is a LOT more appealing than it was ten years ago. The new boardwalk certainly helps, and so do the wooden sculptures popping up here and there. My general impression has been that Long Beach is getting classier, without becoming pricier.

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 02:45 PM
John

Dear Dad:
One place where you as well as the children might enjoy eating is the 42nd Street Cafe in Seaview. It has good food at reasonable prices (it's run by the former chef of the ritzy Shoalwater Restaurant up the road, but not at all snooty).
You can't miss it; it's right on the main drag.

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 03:06 PM
Dad

I so appreciate everyones input. The dialogue is great. I have started a folder of hot spots and places to skip. Keep them coming. Thanks again.
Dad

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 06:39 PM
John

Dear Dad:
It's almost too bad you're going in June, because the delectable oysters of Willapa Bay (the sheltered inlet east of the Long Beach peninsula) are going to be out of season (our warm winter didn't help either). Unless you’re lucky and can find some of the small, utterly delicious Kumamoto oysters (which stay in season longer). Try the oyster farms in Nahcotta, or the one just north of Oysterville. You can also take the very scenic drive up the eastern shore of the bay (on US 101) to the oyster towns and fishing ports of Bay Center and South Bend.
But local Dungeness crab should be in season. Fresh of the boat and hot from the cooker, it’s the best crab in the world. There should also be plenty of rockfish and other seasonal fish. Long Beach peninsula has several places selling great smoked fish. Not just salmon, but also (locally caught) sturgeon, albacore tuna, and halibut).
If you want to take the kids fishing, you can take a party boat from Ilwaco. Salmon is iffy these days, because the runs have declined rather seriously, but there’s always rockfish, and perhaps albacore. If you don’t want to brave the Columbia River bar (which can be nasty—I can vouch for that, since I’ve crossed in a tempest on a flood current), you could fish for sturgeon in the lower river.
The wildflowers should be in bloom at Fort Columbia, a few mile upriver from the fishing port of Chinook. If you’re lucky, you’ll see bald eagles patrolling the banks of the river.
Sgorces is right about the Coast Guard station. It is one of the top lifeboat training station in the world—those guys are truly amazing. And don’t miss the lighthouses, or the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center—there’s just so much to do!

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 06:44 PM
deb

Dad,
I live in Longview, WA and I agree, take US 30 out og portland to Astoria. this road is staight. from portland you are only about 5 hours away. In long Beach, the kite dhop to go to is Devetion to Motion kites. they know alot and will help you get a good kite. Also a place in Long Beach, is the Marrses free musuem, although it is free to walk in, be perpared to spend money. there is also go-karts for the kids and a few other rides. also a arcade or two. the weather is rainy, all day. and down at the beach it may also be very windy. when coming back to Portland, get off at the Longview exit, for Mt. St. Helen's. go to the first set of lightd, take a right, you will be on Indusrial Way, take this road for about 3 miles, until you see freeway entrance, take this road until you see the sign for Seattle(Left lane) this will be I-5, go on I-5 till you get to exit 49(Castle Rock) take this exit to Mt. St. Helen's.Tell the kids that Long beach does have a McDoanlds.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 03:42 AM
John

Dear Dad:
There’s another—perhaps more interesting lodging option for your family (though this would take you away from the center of Long Beach). You could rent one of three historical houses at Fort Canby (or Fort Columbia) State Park:

The two North Head Lighthouse keepers’ residences at Fort Canby State Park each sleep six (they each have three bedrooms upstairs with two double and two single beds, a standard kitchen with pots, pans, dishes, utensils, microwave and dishwasher, a dining room, and living room with TV and VCR. State Parks also supplies basic cleaning items, toilet paper, and paper toweling. Linens are provided.). Located near the lighthouse where the Columbia River and Pacific Ocean meet, the houses have rather stunning views--if it doesn’t rain. They have lots of space for a family to spread out if it does rain.

The Steward’s House at nearby Fort Columbia State Park , a 1902 two-story house on officer’s row, sleeps four in two bedrooms and has a standard kitchen with a microwave. It also has a nicely furnished living room with cable TV, and comes with linens. From Fort Columbia, you look straight out the mouth of the Columbia River to the Pacific Ocean.

For details, and to make a reservation, call 1-800-452-5687. (Reservations will be accepted as early as 11 months before you want to use the cabin or yurt, or as late as two days. Visa, Mastercard.)
The houses cost about $150-$250 a night.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 06:34 PM
Dad

Alright you all are getting us excited for our trip out your way. Especially John who has my mouth watering reading about the crab, oyster and other "catch."
Unfortunately, the first week of June is the only time we can make the trip. We are taking the "high road" as far as the weather goes. Rain will be part of the experience. I think my family will look great in gortex! I like the idea of if it rains just go out in it anyway.
Deb mentioned 5 hour trip to Long Beach-from Portland via US 30-does that sound correct to others?
Thanks again
Dad

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 07:40 PM
John

Dear Dad,
Let's make this easy and accurate for you. Here are the driving directions and the driving time from PDX to Long Beach, courtesy of MapQuest's web site:

Directions Distance

1:
Start out going Northwest on NE AIRPORT WAY towards TERMINAL ACC by turning left.
0.0 miles
(0.0 km)

2:
Stay straight to go onto RENTAL CAR ACC.
0.2 miles
(0.4 km)

3:
Turn LEFT onto RETURN TO TERMINAL.
0.0 miles
(0.0 km)

4:
Turn SLIGHT RIGHT.
0.0 miles
(0.0 km)

5:
Turn SLIGHT RIGHT.
0.1 miles
(0.2 km)

6:
Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto NE AIRPORT WAY.
2.0 miles
(3.2 km)

7:
Turn LEFT.
0.0 miles
(0.0 km)

8:
Turn SLIGHT LEFT to take the I-205 NORTH ramp towards SEATTLE.
0.3 miles
(0.5 km)

9:
Merge onto I-205 N.
12.4 miles
(20.0 km)

10:
I-205 N becomes I-5 N.
28.9 miles
(46.4 km)

11:
Take the WA-432 WEST exit, exit number 36, towards LONGVIEW(WA-4)/LONG BEACH.
0.4 miles
(0.6 km)

12:
Merge onto WA-432 W.
3.5 miles
(5.6 km)

13:
Turn LEFT onto OREGON WAY.
1.1 miles
(1.8 km)

14:
Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto WA-433 S.
0.7 miles
(1.1 km)

15:
WA-433 S becomes LEWIS AND CLARK BRIDGE.
0.6 miles
(1.0 km)

16:
Take the US-30 WEST ramp.
0.3 miles
(0.4 km)

17:
Merge onto US-30.
47.4 miles
(76.2 km)

18:
Turn RIGHT onto OREGON COAST HWY.
0.4 miles
(0.7 km)

19:
OREGON COAST HWY becomes US-101.
15.7 miles
(25.2 km)

20:
Turn RIGHT onto PACIFIC AVE S.
1.9 miles
(3.0 km)

Total Distance: 115.9 miles (186.4 km)

Total Estimated Time: 3 hours, 9 minutes

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 08:23 AM
deb

Dear Dad,
I was just in Long Beach over the week-end for clam digging. The weather was sunny except for Monday(21) I said 5 hours for if you come into traffic or stop to look along the way.US 30 is the best way to get to Long Beach from Portland.Make sure you drive up the penisula .

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 08:44 AM
John

Dad:
Deb is right. Bad Portland traffic can easily add a couple of hours to the drive.

Deb:
Did you get any clams?

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 09:47 PM
debbie

Sorry about not answering, my computer has been down. Yes, We did get clams. Dad, I will be in Long Beach the first part of May if you have any questions still.

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 07:11 AM
John

Dear Debbie:
How about sharing your favorite way of fixing those clams?

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 10:00 AM
Debbie59

Dear John, To cook my clams, I put them in milk, then in egg and then in cracker crumbs and into the frying pan.we stay at a campground where you can get them all cleaned before you bring them home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -