Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family trip to either Santa Fe or Steamboat Springs

Old Sep 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip this summer with our kids and grandkids and trying to decide whether to go to Steamboat Springs, CO or Santa Fe/Albuquerque NM. There will be 8 people -- 5 adults and 3 kids ages 6,8 and 11. We want to rent a house or condo for a week and make that our base for activities. I'm familiar with the adult attractions of both Santa Fe and Steamboat Springs but am not as sure about what there is for kids to do. I'd appreciate any comments and/or suggestions that can help us decide which place might make for a better family vacation. I'm particularly interested in information for each place about family-friendly/kid oriented activities, ease of getting around by car or otherwise, rental housing possibilities (for 8 people!), and weather in August. Thanks.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 08:02 PM

ABQ has quite a lot of kid activities: an excellent zoo, a children's museum, tinkertown, a water park at the Radisson hotel that will be open to the public [not just hotel guests]; a bio park with aquarium to name just a few.

Santa Fe also has some children friendly museums, including the International Folk Art Museum.

There is hiking, rafting, exploring ancient Puebloan ruins, bike rides, and on and on.

Driving around ABQ and Santa Fe is easy, there is even a light rail that runs between the cities. VRBO.com should be able to help you with house rentals.

Weather in August is hot and dry. Day time temps can be in 90's but the nights will cool off alot, by 30 degrees. It is our monsoon season, which means afternoon rains that come in, do their thing and leave.

How long will you have here? Day trips to pueblos are worth while including Taos.

I have lots of thread on here with activity links, will come back tomorrow and add them here.

Deb
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Deb. Looks like either Santa Fe or ABQ would make a good base but ABQ seems a bit more kid-friendly. Any links would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 02:06 PM

Hopefully the water park at the Radisson will finally be open by next August - it's been in the works for a couple of years and my son really wants to go!

In addition to Deb's excellent suggestions, you all might enjoy Bandelier National Monument near Los Alamos.

Acoma Pueblo is about 40 minutes west of Albuquerque. Our most recent visit was in May; the guided tour is very interesting. Taos Pueblo is well worth a visit as well. It's about two hours north of Albuquerque.

Lee Ann
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Our halfling liked Bandalier National Monument a LOT. But he likes any place that's rocky with pebbles and stones (attention span of a two-year old, which is age appropriate for him). That would be a bit of a hike from ABQ but certainly within range (75 minutes or so each way).

The RailRunner Deb describes is not light rail -- it is a full-size, high-capacity passenger train that can reach 105+ mph (although I don't think the speed limit is that high). The train takes about 90 minutes each way from ABQ to SF and seems highly popular (the ones we saw, on a weekend, were stacked full of passengers).
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM

I guess to me it's a "light rail" since it has such a limited run, north to south. The cars are like regular train, it does go fast and I think the ride from ABQ to SF is only about an hour.

Be back with link, computer is acting up and I can't get to where I keep them at moment.

Deb
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Here are some links to get you started:

http://www.cabq.gov/visiting.html

Zoo, bio park http://www.cabq.gov/biopark
Explora Museum http://www.explora.us/en/

http://www.itsatrip.org/

http://www.turquoisetrail.org/

For Santa Fe http://www.santafe.org/
http://www.museumhill.org/

Tent Rock [between the 2 cities]
http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/rec...ent_rocks.html

Horseback riding : http://www.brokensaddle.com/

Put Santa Fe in the search box above, you will come up with several recent threads asking about activities in SF and ABQ.

Also, do read the DESTINATIONS section of this site, Fodors has great info for both cities.

Deb
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all these comments, and thanks for the links, Deb. It's interesting that I haven't heard from anyone about our other option, Steamboat Springs! It's sounding like the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area is the way to go.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM

I am surprised, too, SteffiS. Steamboat is a great place to visit. But, you've got another vote of Santa Fe from me.

Santa Fe's Indian Market, the largest in the world, will be held August 21 and 22 so you may want to avoid that weekend as it is very crowded. However, it is an exciting time in Santa Fe as well. Artists have their wares on display, some with a ribbon attached showing them a winner by the council. The city is alive though busy.

If you are not interested in the market then I would go before or after that week.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with either place. They're both great destinations and the NM experts have given you some excellent comments, all of which I agree with.

In the interest of "balance" here's some thoughts on Steamboat for the kids (since you say you're already familiar with adult options):

Alpine rides on the slopes.
Take lifts to the top for hiking, mountain biking.
Hot air balloons.
Some really nice state parks nearby with camping, shooting the rapids, rafting, hiking, fishing, canoeing, etc.
The Kids Adventure Club has nonstop supervised activities for kids 5-12, 7 days a week.
The Gondola Square Adventure Zone also has lots of various activities for kids like rock climbing, etc.
Horseback riding and chuck wagon dinner adventures.

Just to name a few.

And of course some great restaurants and shops.

The fact that Steamboat is a little off the beaten path makes it that much more fun and not quite so crowded.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the help. I think we've decided on Santa Fe -- found a possible great home to rent (with a pool -- not easy to find in Santa Fe) and a good location. And it looks like there's enough in the area to keep the kids occupied, plus LOTS of good stuff for the adults.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM

If I can help with anything, please ask away. Deb
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Yeah, use DebitNM as a resource. I've picked her brain remorselessly in the past (did I thank her? I hope so -- if not, THANKS DEB).

And Santa Fe is a very nice place to visit.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Santa Fe is definitely a nice place to visit! Going on 20 years and still is exciting for me.

BigRuss, were you the poster looking for anything green chile before your trip?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM

LOL Russ, you did thank me! You are most welcome. {Sometimes there isn't a lot of brain to pick!}

New Mexico is a nice place to visit!

Deb
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the information and advice. We decided on Santa Fe, and ended up finding a lovely house for rent there, with a swimming pool (rare in Santa Fe), which will be great for the 3 grandchildren. I will make use of Deb's links to explore the available activities in the area.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 05:23 AM

Since you've decided on SF, do go over to Bandelier NM, great place for all to explore, neat ancient Native American homes carved into the rock of the hillside and for the hikers plenty of trails including one at a part of the park about 5 miles closer to SF called Tswankawi. I have some pictures of it at www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009/sets in the 2008 set to give you and idea.

Have lots of fun/