family trip to California in December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a family, the only time we can all take off is over Xmas vacation. We would like to take our 2 teen daughters to see California before the older one graduates H.S. next year and is off to college.

I would like to travel from San Diego with stops off in LA, Solvang, Monterey and end up in SF. Is Yosemite Ntl Park too off the beaten path to see? Is the weather during Dec./Jan. so bad that this trip is a bad idea? I am not expecting beach weather but something warm would be nice. We live in the Northeast and the temps here in Dec. are already below 30. Any suggetions to add to the itinerary? Not into Disney or Universal...been there too many times in Florida.

Thanks
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:37 PM

I live up here in No. Ca. Done this trip several times with our sons as they grew up. It is a great one on your part - do it!
The weather will not be anything that you would encounter at home; mostly rain. I might suggest you begin in the SF area and wind up in So. Ca. at the end - the Tournament of Roses Parade - if you can swing it - is an event to see. As for Yosemite - it is set up for winter; cross country skiing; several lodges accommodate winter travelers; make sure your rental car is equipped for the mountains; 3-4 hr drive and worth it from SF. If you do not want to drive there are a few tour companies that have 1,2 and 3 day trips which they will take you on from SF to Yosemite: Extranomical Adventures, SanFranciscoTours, Starline tours.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JJTravelTips. I looked up some of the excursions you recommended- they look great. Any other must sees as we make our way south?
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:33 AM

I agree - go for it. Even our worst weather will seem like nothing to you coming from the northeast.

The Big Sur coast between Monterey and San Luis Obispo is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately sometimes the road closes due to landslides during the winter. December is still fairly early in our rainy season, so chances are good that the road will be open. I would plan to stay a night in Monterey (or more if you have the time) and then a night in the San Luis Obispo area. That way, if by chance Hwy 1 is closed, you can take hwy 101 between the areas and not have to change any plans.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 08:26 PM

If you like to hike, you might want to stop at Pt. Lobos State Park, a little ways south of Carmel which is a little bit south of Monterey. Also, a little ways north of SF is Muir Woods. It's a lovely place. If you do a search on this site you'll get lots of information on both. Happy travels.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:25 PM

Your daughters are a good age for the Warner Brothers tour...it's not amusement/rides but more behind-the-scenes and interesting. Check out the Xmas lights all around the Burbank neighborhoods where all the studio light-technicians live...they are especially merry and bright.

I'd chose Santa Barbara over Solvang for a night...Solvang is a great little breakfast stop on the way north and not much more in my opinion.

Ditto the Point Lobos recommendation, and I like Carmel for a couple nights over Monterey but Monterey is fine, too.

Airfares should go on sale in October for Dec travel...and keep checking the one-way car rental rates, probably cheaper to book way ahead but they do sometimes go down.
Check out Columbus Motor Inn for San Fran, good location and parking is included(rare in SF).
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 09:56 AM

That time of year is wonderful in the deserts, often the rainstorms peter out and don't make it there. You might want to travel from San Diego to Anza Borrego and on to Palm springs, from there you can go into Los Angeles.