Family trip to Arizona/Utah National Parks

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2015, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of five (children ages 11 (girl), 9, 6 (boys)) are taking a two week vacation out west this August. This will be our first time exploring this area. We think our kids will like hiking, but also want to pace ourselves! I will post our draft itinerary and would appreciate any further ideas. I would mostly ideas about timing in each location (whether to stay more or less days), driving times, and hiking ideas in each location.

August 7 - 8 Phoenix (meeting family for the weekend)

August 9 - 12 Sedona - We are staying near Oak Creek Canyon. We would love ideas about best ways to spend our time.

August 12 - 15 Grand Canyon - South Rim

Depart Grand Canyon early August 15 and drive to Antelope Canyon. Plan to spend the morning exploring the lower canyon. Then drive to Lake Powell. Plan to spend the afternoon the afternoon at Lake Powell. Would love ideas about whether to rent a boat? Then plan to drive to Mexican Hat area so we can explore Monument Valley the next day.

August 15 - sleep in Mexican Hat

August 16 - spend the day at Monument Valley and sleep in Mexican Hat again. Do you think we should leave and drive to Bryce that night so we can be at Bryce in the morning on August 17.

August 17 - 18 Bryce

August 19 - drive to Zion early in the morning. Plan to spend the day at Zion and sleep there.

August 20 - Zion / drive to Las Vegas. Another idea is to skip Vegas altogether and drive to the Hoover Dam. Thoughts?

August 21 - afternoon flight from Las Vegas

Thanks so much. We look forward to your comments!!!
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:17 AM
J62

1st glance. Too much time at GC, too little at Zion.
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:21 AM

I think the best part of Monument Valley is sunrise and sunset. I would arrange to be there for at leat one of them.

Two years ago, we pretty much visited all of the locations that are on your list from the 12th on. This is the trip report. http://www.mightymac.org/southwest/
Old May 26th, 2015, 08:59 AM

I truly love the Grand Canyon and go back for a fix any time I can, but I do agree that you can see sights, hike along the rim trail and down either Bright Angel or South Kaibab a bit to view it from inside, in much less time than you have allotted.

Get there in the afternoon, go to the VC, walk a bit on the rim trail, see sunset, and If they do a night sky program do that. The next day see sunrise, hike down a bit, hike/bus out to Hermit's rest, and/or sign up for one of the ranger lead hikes (we did one to some sea floor fossils that are on the rim), visit the view points to the east and either spend the night in the park or continue out and spend the night at Cameron Trading Post or in Page.

That should give you a day or two to spend in some of the other areas. Do try not to drive after dark. There are elk and deer all over the area and sometimes in the road.
Old May 26th, 2015, 01:09 PM
cd

I agree that you do not need that much time at GC.
August will be hot, one day will be plenty with 3 children in Monument Valley. Again, it will be hot and it is wide open. No shade.
I would spend more time in shady Zion
You can stay in Las Vegas and make the drive to Hoover Dam, it makes a nice half day trip, that way the kids can enjoy the pool for a while.
The Lake Powell Resort has a nice pool and there are boat rides but you would have to Google to see if any suits your family.
Old May 26th, 2015, 02:23 PM

Sedona - bring money

Since money is not a problem, suggest contacting Pink Jeep tours (or equivalent) and have them arrange your schedule.
http://www.pinkjeeptours.com/

Vaga
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:26 PM

One night at the Grand Canyon and 4 at Zion is more like it. You will find a lot more to do in/around Zion than at the Grand Canyon.
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:33 PM

I too vote for more time at Zion! It's one of my favorite parks!

As for hiking with younger children, I would recommend Emerald Pools, Hidden Canyon, Weeping Rock, Canyon Overlook, and the Narrows. Hidden Canyon and Canyon Overlook do have some exposed areas (minimal), but I think it's possible to do with young children. The bonus for Hidden Canyon is that it's mostly shaded! Canyon Overlook is on the eastern side of the park, away from the main canyon, so I would recommend doing that as you come from Bryce. The Narrows is definitely a must-do while you're at Zion, even with children it is fun and it's beautiful to see.

Horseshoe Bend is another great hike in Page you could easily do. Also, have you considered tubing in Page instead of a boat rental? Definitely cheaper, and may be more relaxing.

If you are able to/open to it, could I suggest switching around the middle of your itinerary to prevent some backtracking? Page is on your way from Monument Valley to Bryce, so it would make more sense to go to Monument Valley first. Also, Mexican Hat probably isn't the best place to stay because there really isn't anything there besides the rock formation. I would suggest Kayenta instead.

Based on that, here is my suggested itinerary:

August 12-14 - Grand Canyon. Leave early August 14 to drive to Kayenta, then head over to Monument Valley/Mexican Hat. Overnight in Kayenta.

August 15 - Head to Page in the morning. Check out Antelope Canyon, then do whatever you would like in the afternoon. Boat rental, or possibly tubing the river? Overnight in Page.

August 16 - Horseshoe Bend hike in Page, then head to Bryce. Afternoon horseback ride in Bryce possibly if interested? Check age limits though. If not, drive through the park and see the overlooks.

August 17 - Sunrise in Bryce, then hike Navajo Loop/Queen's Garden Trail before it gets hot. If you didn't get to drive to the rest of the overlooks, you could do that after. Whenever you do the overlooks, you could walk Bristlecone Loop at Rainbow Point (shaded 1 mile loop). Head to Zion whenever you finish in Bryce. Maybe Canyon Overlook hike on the way in? Overnight in Springdale.

August 18-19 - Zion NP with overnight in Springdale.

August 20 - Head to Hoover Dam in the morning, then on to Vegas to enjoy some relaxation in your hotel pool before your flight home the next day.

A couple things that you may already know - consider getting a NP pass to avoid paying entrance fees at every park. $80, but is totally worth it. Also, you cannot drive into the main canyon at Zion, you will have to take the shuttle. You can park at the visitors center and catch the shuttle, or take the shuttle from Springdale in and get on the Canyon shuttle at the visitors center. This will affect what you carry with you though (as far as snacks, amount of water, possible packed lunch, etc.).

Also, alwaysafrica did a 2-week trip a few weeks ago through much of the same area with young children, so I'm sure she has some great advice regarding that. Hope you and your family have a wonderful trip, it's a beautiful area!