Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family trip - Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Arch Canyon, Taos, Santa Fe...

Notices

Old May 31st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got here while planning our 12 days RV family trip and it seemed interesting and helpful so I am giving it a shot.
We are starting in Phoenix going up 17 North. On the way to Grand Canyon we'd like to stop by Montezuma Castle and Sedona. I am choosing just the South Rim in GC (for the first time, with 2 years old...).
Any suggestions where to RV camp while visiting GC? Since we are not going to do a lot of hiking I think 2 nights should be enough?
Than we are going to Antelope Canyon. Mid Jun, should we spent 2 or 3 nights and where? Suggestions?
And what about the Monument Valley Tribal Park and Arch Canyon?
And is Pagosa worth it? Maybe on the way to Taos.
Any good food suggestions in Taos?

Open to any changes as we go.
Thanks a lot,
L~
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:49 PM

lenkalee,

Welcome to the Fodor's Forums! As a new poster you may not know that there are lots of great informational posts archived on this site. If you are interested in learning what has already been posted here, you can view recent activity by state. Go to View By State at the top of the page and enter your destination state. It will list recent posts with all responses to date.

I have only been to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, but liked the fact that it was not crowded. It is out of the way for most tourists, but more accessible for being less traveled. Santa Fe is a favorite destination and I highly recommend it! You might look at Tent Rocks and Shidoni Foundry on Google if you are interested in a day of no/low cost short highly scenic hikes, bronze pours, glass blowing,and sculpture gardens. I always like a day of picnic and outdoors or arts activity that I don't have to pay for!
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you saige for your recommendations. I found some great tips for Pueblos.

I will check out Santa Fe for sure. The plan is a couple of days there.
I haven't find any tips for RV parks.
It's my first RV trip and I am having a hard time to decide on the campgrounds.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 12:00 AM

Hi lenkalee,

I've been an RV'er for years.

There are three campgrounds at the South Rim. I prefer Mather Campground which is in a forest setting in the Grand Canyon Village area. This is your usual national park campground, with no hook ups, picnic tables, campsite grills, restrooms but they have a 30 foot RV or trailer limit. There are showers and laundry at the entrance gate to the campground. I would highly recommend making reservations for the summer.

The other campground in the Grand Canyon Village area is Trailer Village. Trailer Village has full hoop ups, but you it's more a parking lot setting. It might be to late to even get reservations for this campground for mid. June.

You can pick up the free Grand Canyon shuttle at both Mather and Trailer Village which is a real plus in the summer when parking can be hard to come by.

The other campground is Desert View which is 26 miles from Grand Canyon Village. I've never stayed here so don't have first hand knowledge of it. According to the website, it has no hook ups and also has a 30 ft. limit.

Just outside of the Grand Canyon near the Grand Canyon village is a national forest campground called Ten-X. This was a nice campground but haven't been there for years. It is on a first come, first serve basis, so you would want to be there early.

You can find more information on all the campgrounds here: http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-sr.htm

By Antelope Canyon, I am guessing you mean the Upper Antelope Slots canyon just outside of Page, AZ. The only campground I've stayed at was at in the area is the Wahweap RV Park & Campground at Lake Powell. You are going to want a full hook up site here because summer is HOT! Campers here can use the pool at the nearby resort. http://www.lakepowell.com/rv-campgrounds.cfm##

There is another campground in Page, AZ but I've never even seen it. http://pagecampground.com/

The last time we were in Monument Valley a couple of years ago, the campground within the Tribal Park was being removed and I have no idea if it was rebuilt or not. There is a very nice private campground in Gouldings. Goulding's Campground rates have gone up! I'd recommend making reservations. Last time we had to park in the overflow parking across the street. http://www.gouldings.com/english/campground.htm

I'm not familar with Arch Canyon but from what I've found, it looks like it's down a 4 wheel drive road. http://www.mountainproject.com/v/uta...nyon/105716842 This place does look interesting. We might have to check into it on our next visit.

We haven't been to Pagosa or Taos yet. You might try on http://www.rv.net/

Utahtea

You might get a better response on rv.net forums. Lots of good RV'ers with a lot of knowledge.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi Utahtea,

Thank you very much for all your great informations and your time to write them all down.
As a first time RV traveler I appreciate them a lot!
The RV we'll have is 42 ft, so I could not fit in any of the 3 campgrounds in the Park, but the Ten-X looks interesting. I read a great review from just a last month. So we'll try that one. The parking at the South Rim is hard, as I read everywhere. The shuttle buses sounded so good, well... Hope we'll get there somehow. Any suggestions?

I'll check the rv. net forums as well. Thanks.
You were very helpful.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:36 PM

Wow...42 ft is a biggy! I know that the Ten-X had some really long sites but I will bet they fill up fast so get there as early as possible to get a site.

Utahtea
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Do you have any suggestions for beautiful camp site around Sedona? To be early at Ten-X I've decided to have a stop for afternoon and the night around Sedona to go see Montezuma ruins etc.... and then earlier in the day leave for GC to get a place in Ten-X. I think 1 night in Ten-X for sunrise in GC and then 2nd night at/around Desert View at the east entrance of GC for the sunset. I think with 2 years old it's going to be enough of GC for her first time.
Do you think its a good idea?
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM

lenkalee, Browsing ny times on line I came across a new article on the grand canyon that you might find helpful: http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/05/31...tml?ref=travel
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

great hint about getting to Dessert View at noon to avoid the throngs..., thank you for the link saige, it definitely helped
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

did anybody stayed at the cameron trading post campground? the Desert View campground is up to 30ft. only
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 08:38 AM

My food suggestion for Taos would be Doc Martin's as a good choice for a family sit-down. The restaurant is in the Historic Taos Inn on the Taos plaza. It has a really fun atmosphere, and the chef makes delicious food - try the rellenos appetizer.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 09:28 AM

Skip Pagosa and go to Mesa Verde National Park. It might be too late to get an RV spot in the park, but there are lots of places in Cortez which is just 10 minutes to the entrance gate, there are restaurants etc in town. You could also stay just outside the entrance in MAncos, there are a couple of parks there.

I have suggestions on here for places to eat in Santa Fe, Taos, if you do a search they should come up. I will look for them and see if I can top them.

I also have threads here about Mesa Verde NP, the cliff dwelling there and lots of pictures. http://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/MesaVerdeMay2009

I live near Mesa Verde and know the area well, as well as northern NM, having a second home in that area. If I can answer Q's, feel free to ask.

Deb