Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family stay in San Diego - Please help with hotel advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We will be flying into San Diego (around 11pm!) in late August with our 2 kids (8 & 3). We will probably stay 4 days or so before driving up the coast to LA. A friend told us about Paradise Point Resort but I have heard very mixed reviews. I also looked into the Hotel Del Coronado but seems expensive (paradise pt is too but can get some deals).

Which hotel would you recommend or could you kindly recommend another place?

We will do the usual touristy things with kids (legoland, sea world, etc.) but also plan on going to the beach (LOVE THE BEACH) and strolling around different areas (e.g., old downtown etc).

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Mary
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 07:42 AM

Late August will be better weather. We are having our June Gloom right now and it is certainly not beach weather. The ocean temp is probably around 60 degrees or so.

Paradise Point is part of Mission Bay and is centrally located to Sea World, the Zoo, etc. It's nice enough and I've heard some of the cottages are a little dated and you are on Mission Bay and have to drive over to South Mission Beach area.

The Hotel Del is beautiful but rooms in the old Hotel section are small. The new high rise addition is nothing charming or special but you are on the beach in either section.

You might check out the Glorietta Bay Inn
www.gloriettabayinn.com - (619) 435-3101

Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
www.marriott.com - (619) 435-3000

The Marriott is on the other side of the island facing the San Diego Bay (the ocean is cross town about 2-5 minutes away)
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 07:43 AM

San Diego is a very spread out city--wherever you stay you will find yourself driving to the attractions that interest you.

We prefer to stay in Old Town because it is a pleasant area to walk around in the evening and it offers quick access to the highway for driving to other destinations.

HTTY
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 07:49 AM

I love Old Town happytrails, but it can be a little lively with young kids. It has a lot of the pary, bars and club feel at night.

You have to be careful in Old Town because, although it has good freeway access, some of the hotels are right across the street from major freeways.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 08:00 AM

I wouldn't stay in Old Town..can be very sketch at night and its a faux version of Old Mexico and after one afternoon, everyone is over it..plus, Courtyard and other motel looks over the busy I-5.Yuk!

I would do Paradise Point since it sits on Mission Bay and has lots of fun options.
You are central to everything.
What kind of rate are you getting?
Close to LJ for good restaurants and beaches.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How about La Jolla Shores Hotel? I'm surprised that ksucat didn't suggest it, although in late August it may be full.

http://www.ljshoreshotel.com/
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM

I wouldn't stay in Old Town..can be very sketch at night and its a faux version of Old Mexico and after one afternoon, everyone is over it
__________________________________________________ ___________
you couldn't of said it any better than that- one afternoon and you're over it.

I'll throw out another option here since you're looking for BEACH time with the kids. You might want to take a look at vacation rentals in the Mission/Pacific beach area. You'll have a 'local' beach experience during your stay and your destinations are easily accessible. There are management companies that handle vacation rentals or you can go directly through owners like VRBO website. If you do an internet search for San Diego Vacation rentals there will be plenty of listings. Just a thought.
Have a great time in San Diego- it is the epitome of So.Cal lifestyle. FUN!
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Hi Barbara!
It's August and the 3* resort/LJ Shores Hotel on the best beach in SD will be overpriced and probably sold out.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Look at the Catamaran Resort.

www.catamaranresort.com
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 08:45 AM

my bad maryrm- trying to find a vacation rental in August will most likely be slim. Thanks for pointing that our Barbara- for some reason September was on my mind.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 09:00 AM

If affordable, #1 choice the Hotel Del Beach Village: privately owned villas with private entrance parking, access to several pools no crowds, and the beach, private "concierge level" style beach house right on the beach w/firepits, free am full buffet breakfast and great concierges that give out free giftcards to various restaurants. We stayed here over Memorial and would never stay in the reg hotel again. They have Summer and 4th night free specials & will help you book.
http://www.delbeachvillage.com/

If above not affordable. #2 rec is for Shelter Island. Again, not far from airport, all the sites centrally located to Seaworld, zoo, beaches etc. on BAy but w/a great green grass park like atmosphere (free swing sets for kids), tiny beach bay access, picnic tables and great views of San Diego city, BAy and all the big ships, planes etc w/ little traffic: feels more like a big tropical resort area. Lots of restaurants to choose from and many offer free airport shuttle. They are offering 2:1 restaraunt meals now in all of the Shelter Is Hotels: Best Western has Suites for families... safe area & you can park on the street to aaid hotle parking fees. (BTW, Hunmpreys has a great out door concert venue and fabulous Sunday Seafood buffet.)
http://www.shelterislandvillage.com/

#3 Rec would be either hotel in the new Liberty Station. Again centrally locate, closer to the airport but nice suite up for kids & families, near grocery store and rstaturants, large grassy area to run around. Courtyard is offering 35% off
http://libertystationpassport.com/

#4 Best value if you don't care about being near water would be in Mission Valley Hotel Row. Close to all activites w/good freeway access, traffic can get alittle wacky...
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rl...ed=0CEkQtQMwAw
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM

We rented a guest house in La Jolla Village, with our 2 teens a couple of summer's ago. It was very comfortable, and walking distance to restaurants, grocery stores, etc. The owners were the nicest people and let us borrow their boogie boards, umbrellas and lounge chairs.

I found it on VRBO, http://www.vrbo.com/70179
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for the fabulous information! this was so helpful...i really appreciate all the input!

as an aside, we are staying in CALI for 8 days (landing in SAN DIEGO) - how long would you stay in SAN DAN and how long in LA?

thanks again.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Hi mary!
Just for your info..don't call it 'CALI'...its like calling San Francisco, 'FRISCO'. So Cal is a slang but you'll get smack for your CALI comments..
Don't want any problems for my girl while your here!

I say 5 days in SD and 3 in LA.
Try and head up to Santa Barbara if you have some time or while you are heading north go up through Laguna Beach.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 11:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SAN DAN?
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM

We just recently stayed at the Beach Village at the Hotel Del Coronado. It was WONDERFUL. Very worth the money - you get free breakfast each morning in the Windsor Cottage (eggs, bacon, fruit, coffee, etc), so you are saving money there. You also get free beach chair and umbrella rentals. We did the buy 3 nights, get 1 free and it was great. The private pools are wonderful and you are right on the beach. One of the things we like best is that you land at SAN, and 20 minutes later you are on the road to the hotel. The airport is very close to the hotel and right on the water. We had an oceanview, 1 bedroom villa and it was to die for. Nothing was forgotten when they built these. When you open the closet doors, lights automatically come on! We have a 3 year old and a 6 year old who slept comfortably on the pullout sofa AND enjoyed watched a dvd on the tv (yes, they have a dvd player!). We also visted LegoLand, which was fabulous. The only issue I had is that it is only open 10am - 6pm and there is no way you can see everything in that short of a time. Plan where you want to go first. It was beautiful there - very clean, much like Disneyland. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

thank you all again. barbara and ksucat, thanks for the heads-up - i mainly wrote "cali" b/c I am home from work today with a sick child and was rushing to get out my response while he was napping! same reason why i wrote "san dan" - again, sorry and thanks for the feedback! i wouldn't want to inadvertently offend anyone.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

thank you all especially for suggesting the bech village at the hotel del coronado - it looks a bit pricey but may be worth it - thanks again!
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 02:30 PM

Hello Maryrm. I know you might not want some hotelier telling you how great her hotel is ... but I am also a San Diegian who has lived here and worked in the hotel industry for over 20 years. There are many great hotels in San Diego. It is often hard to choose. I am really greatful to 1Jar (I don't know you but thanks) for suggesting our hotel - - The Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Liberty Station. We are a newer waterfront hotel (opening May 2008) and have so much to offer. We have a waterfront great pool, free parking/internet/fitness center, comfortable rooms, and amazing safe location just minutes from all the attractions. I could go on and on but you should see for yourself by checking us out on two sites www.marriott.com/sanal & TripAdvisor (we are number two and our sister property is #3). On a personal note, I am from back east. My family loves to come out to visit when they can. They love this hotel!! Hope this was helpful. Please have a safe trip out and enjoy your vacation!!!!