Family Ski

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Ski

My family has skiied for years while living in Europe. We now live in the US and would like to take a family trip (kids are 7, 10)somewhere out west to ski. The choices are overwhelming. We'd like a reasonably priced place where we could walk from the hotel to the ski lift. Any recommendations?
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Our family likes Breckenridge for skiing. Beaver Run Resort is near slopes. There are a ton of houses and condos that are right next to the slopes. Try www.vrbo.com if you don't want to stay in a hotel.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 02:50 PM

We did a family ski trip to Breckenridge, too, last year. Was very pleased with it. I forget the name of the place we stayed, but it was a couple of blocks north(?) of the main commercial street, right near the new lift.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Park City and Deer Valley, Utah. Great mountains and very reliable snow conditions. (Utah is known for its "champagne powder" snow.) We stay with friends who live there, so I can't recommend any lodging.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Breckenridge is great, but very high, and the altitude can be challenging. With kids, I'd recommend a condo, rather than a hotel. The Village at Breckenridge is very convenient, and we also found a good price on vrbo.

Steamboat is lower, has great snow, and is a nice place for families. Last time we stayed at the Scandinavian Lodge, and, although you couldn't walk to lifts or town, they have their own shuttle, which was extremely convenient.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:04 PM

I would like to recommend Steamboat Springs CO. It was the first place I ever skied out West. Steamboat is nice b/c it has a lot of intermediate area.

There is also an extensive shuttle bus system. It is very easy to get around w/o a car.

There are many condos/hotels at the base of the mountain. Ptarmagin, Storm Meadows, The West, are just a couple.

Besides the Mountain area there is also Steamboat Town.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 03:13 AM

We stayed at Steamboat this past January and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We stayed at Torian Plum which was expensive but right at the base of the mountain. Steamboat Grand may be better priced, I am not sure. There was lots to do besides ski, the night tubing was great fun as was the snow mobiling. For families I thought Steamboat was perfect. Everyone you met on the slopes were so friendly and the snow boarders mostly kept to "their own area" but when you came across them they were very thoughtful, unlike some other ski areas where they are a menace.
I have skied at Breckenridge also and preferred Steamboat. Hope this helps, Schnauzer
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:15 AM

You don't mention where you live, but I also recommend Deer Valley and Park City for the good snow and sheer ease of getting there. It's a mere 45 mins. from the airport - a lot more convenient than the Colorado areas.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:44 AM

You can fly right into Steamboat or Hayden. No need to drive from denver!
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:51 AM

Ooops! Just checked. Apparently SBS not longer services commercial flights. But Hayden airport is only 20 miles away from Steamboat.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. While we would consider Colorado, and I will look into the places you recommend, I would love to ski Utah. We live in DC now so we are close to a major airport. Any thoughts on ski hotels in Park City that are close to the ski lift? I will check out the hotels recommended in Colorado. It may just make more sense to go there.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM
dmlove

We rented a wonderful private home in Park City a couple of years ago. One block from the mountain and about a 10-minute walk to the center of Main Street. Let me know if you want more information.

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:57 AM

For Utah, you might also consider Snowbird, which has condos right at the lifts, and Solitude, which has an "on the mountain" village, and is less crowded.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM

I wouldn't want to be isolated up at Snowbird, Ut. Personally, Park City would be a good "base" for staying with the restaurants, etc; and there are the lifts right there. You could drive up to Deer Valley one day, Alta (wonderful!!) and still do the walking thing to the Park City Lifts.

What month are you considering, because "reasonable" might change depending on the month.

Vail is elegant and very beautiful!
Not Europe, but might remind you of Europe.

have fun!

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Select Colorado in the search box and you will get more information.

.......Utah is known for its "champagne powder" snow.....

I thought that Steamboat claimed that title. My experience with Park City/Deer Valley and other parts of Utah is a long ways from champagne powder. My experience is limited to March skiing over many years but the Utah snow is generally wetter and heavier because of the lower altitude and higher humidity.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM

I don't want to keep mentioning Utah, but the ease of flying can't be beat.

Yes, you can fly into smaller airports in Colorado, but there are some drawbacks to that. Smaller airports are often significantly more expensive to fly into. And I know two different families that each lost of a day of vacation b/c their flight could not get from Denver to the smaller airport - I think in both cases it was Aspen. They said the flight delay was so long they literally took 24 hours to get from the east coast into Aspen. One family had this delay on the way there - and on the way home.

beachkomer - how is Vail European? I've been to Vail several times in the summer and I think it lacks the charm of an area like Breckenridge or Telluride - those areas with a true town.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:51 AM

The easy of flying into Utah cannot be beat but you have to consider the trade offs. If you going for a weekend, I think Utah is ideal especially because you do not have to deal with the Sunday traffic back into Denver. But if you are going for longer period of time -- a week -- is an hour less travel time that significant? From DIA you can be at any of the Summit County areas (Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone) or Winter Park in under two hours. If you fly into the Eagle Cty airport you are just 30 minutes from Vail/Beaver Creek and another 40 minutes from Summit Cty. The Eagle Cty airport is very nice airport with direct flights from several major cities. You do not have to connect through Denver. Its size makes it more convenient than Utah.

While Utah is convenient, all the Park City ski areas (PC, Canyons, Deer Valley) are all very similar terrain and about the same level of challenge -- short runs off of ridges. I prefer Alta and Snowbird but it is a long hour and inconvenient drive into and out of Salt Lake City. Snow Basin is nice but another long drive.

Colorado offers a wider range of ski terrain and the major areas of Copper, Breck and Keystone are less than 30 minutes from each other and are serviced by a frequent bus system. In the same area there is a wide range of non-ski activity if you want to take a break.

I think you need to look at the total package but making a decision. Each area has its advantages and disadvantages -- just depends on what you are prepared to trade off.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Interesting to see everyone's impressions of different areas.

Utah's ski motto is "The Greatest Snow on Earth" mostly because it's considered the most reliable for snow throughout the season. In March, the snow everywhere in the West can be heavier and wetter because the temps usually aren't as cold as earlier in the season.

Vail is sometimes described as "European" because many of the buildings have Bavarian architectural elements and the village core is pedestrian-only. We have skied Vail every year for more than 30 years, and we've seen a lot of changes and growth. It's less European-looking now, but the number of European tourists/skiers and all their languages certainly make it still feel very European.

The OP mentioned looking for a "reasonably priced place where we could walk from the hotel to the ski lift." I reiterate my suggestion of Park City. Utah has significantly lower lift ticket prices than Colorado, an important consideration for a family of four.

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 09:01 AM

,,,,, Utah has significantly lower lift ticket prices than Colorado, .....

Jean, I would like to see your support for that statement. I assume you are a Utah local and locals generally have someway to find discounts which are directed to locals. I think lift tickets this year in Park City will be in the range of $80. Deer Valley is $90. Colorado is in the same range, maybe $85. Now Alta last year may have been about 50 and combo ticket for Alta and Snowbird was 60/70 ?? I don't remember. For out-of-state skiers I don't think there is a significant difference in lift tickets.

I ski Park City the first week in March each year. The past year the snow was very marginal during that week. Most of Colorado snow was still very good through the first of April.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Snowbird chair = $59
Snowbird tram & chair = $69

Breck = 3/5 day $249, they don't even price out a single day ticket but it has to be $90, right? Obviously not less than 83.

Outside of the anomoly of DV, I found everything about PC/SLC area to be cheaper than Summit Co.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information