Search

family road trip from san francisco to las vegas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
family road trip from san francisco to las vegas

Hello everyone,

we are a family of four from switzerland planning to drive from san francisco to las vegas early august.
could anyone help me plan a trip with more or less 300 miles per day thru scenic routes, yosemite death valley etc... with any nice hotels or restaurant along the way.
we can take up to 6 days for that ( i think 4 or 5 will do)

thank you for your help.

best regards,
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Classic.map quest.com

Did this journey in May about 2 years ago

Yosemite.com Ahwanee or Wawona lodges based on budget do reserve

180 miles then over the Tioga Pass to lonepinechamber.org

Dow Villa cool wester vibe hotel where the ghost of John Wayne is said to reside

Another 200 on to Vegas through Death Valley best to transit in the very early morning

Before it gets super hot.

Car rentals.com. For cheap rentals usually Fox for me.

Have fun,
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM

1. If you want to visit Yosemite, you MUST make accomodation reservations as soon as possible. Do not arrive without a place to stay. You may be driving 60 miles back to find a cheap motel in a nondescript place.

2. A guidebook would be useful.

3. Go to the Yosemite National Park website (and the Death Valley National Park website) at www.nps.gov to research the driving. Look under Driving Directions. And Plan Your Visit.

4. How much are you willing to pay for nice hotels? The Ahwanee in Yosemite is $530 a night, but it isn't available during your timeframe.

5. Remember that nice hotels and fine dining are not generally part of the National Park experience.

6. You might want to consider Lake Tahoe in your plans.

7. Start reviewing the basic information on www.tripadvisor.com There is an active forum there that will give you an idea of what is reasonable and what isn't.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 12:37 PM

This is a classic roadtrip. From San Francisco to Yosemite, there are two main routes into the park - via 140 or 120. 140 follows the Merced river while 120 goes through the high country. On a day with no traffic, you should be able to get to Yosemite Valley via either route in about 4 hours. You'll want to spend a minimum of one night in Yosemite Valley, if you haven't been before.

Upon departing Yosemite Valley, you'll want to continue on via Highway 120 through the high sierras to Tuolumne Pass. Mono Lake is also in this area with its tufas. Also in this area is the ghost town of Bodie. If you have kids, this might be an interesting diversion, but beware that the dirt road in is rather bumpy.

From Mono Lake, you'll want to drive down Highway 395 along the eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas. This route is stunningly scenic.

When you get near Lone Pine, you'll be able to stop by for some scenic vistas of Mt. Whitney (tallest mountain in the contiguous united states), as well as, the Alabama Hills where Hollywood has filmed a number of westerns.

From this point, you can cut through Death Valley. There are a number of routes through the park, though bear in mind that a number of them are dirt roads. So, make sure you're prepared for a drive through the desert in August. It's gonna be hot, hot, hot. Bring plenty of water and be prepared for emergencies.

Depending on where you end up in Death Valley, it shouldn't be more than half a day or so to Vegas.

So, if it was me, at a minimum, I'd probably do:

2 nights Yosemite Valley (Yosemite Lodge)
1 night Eastern Sierras (Bishop, Mammoth Lakes, Lone Pine)
1-2 nights in Death Valley (National Park Lodge)

If I had time to spare, I'd add a night at Mono Lake to explore the sierra high country a bit and break up the driving a bit. Even more time, I'd want to add another night to Yosemite Valley, but I love that place.

Bear in mind that once you hit Yosemite, you'll be traveling on windy roads and two-lane highways for the most part, so you won't be going as fast as you might think.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM

lifelist has good recommendations... I'd do 140 into the Valley...take a whole day to go from Yosemite Valley over Tigoa Pass to Mono Lake and then on down to Mammoth Lakes. Then to Death Valley (Furnace Creek Inn will be open) via Bishiop, Lone Pine and Owens Lake. Easy drive into LV from Furnace Creek.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Correction -- Make that Furnace Creek RANCH
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM

mono lake is stupendous
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 06:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>though bear in mind that a number of them are dirt roads.</i>"

Also bear in mind most rental agencies don't allow you to take their cars off paved roads.

And -- the high temps in Death Valley in August can be 48+ and the low night time temps can be 30-35. I know that won't dissuade you - all of my European friends insist on visiting DV in the summer -- BUT do be careful.