Reload this Page >

Family Restaurants in Hilo and Kailua-Kona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Dawn Cooper

Hi, we are a family of six, (4 boys) and will be staying in VNP for the first two nights of our Big Island stay and the remaining five nights in Kona. Looking for interesting and affordable places to eat.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 04:42 AM
To Top

Bumping it up!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:40 AM
cindy

Bubba Gump's on Alii Drive is a lot of fun, and the food is really good - depending on your budget, I think it probably qualifies as affordable. The other place I'd recommend is Oodles of Noodles, which is in a shopping plaza up the hill from the King Kam, and maybe a block north. Yummy food and reasonable prices. Have fun!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:53 AM
kam

Boy, is this a vague response, but maybe someone will help with it. There is a restaurant in downtown Kona that is owned by a former baseball player--very famous. Mostly hamburgers and fries and stuff, but we took our boys there and they loved it. Someone help with this?? If you're staying in Kona, don't think you'll want to go all the way to Hilo to find a restaurant. It's a BIG island! And, if they're big eaters and like steak, there's a steakhouse up at the Parker Ranch--think it's called the Broiler, but anyone could tell you.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 11:39 AM
cindy

Hi - I think the place you're thinking of is/was called Don Drysdale's. There were two of them at one point; now the one on Alii Drive is called Hang Ten, but the menu is still the same. It's a pleasant spot; I should have mentioned it in my first post. It has a big patio and you can watch the sunset from there. When I was there a few years ago, I saw the "green flash" a few times.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:06 PM
John

You must take your family to Sam Choy's place in the Kaloko industrial park between Kona and the airport. Great food, great atmosphere, lots of locals tucking into massive breakfasts, lunches, and more upscale dinners. Come hungry and think Spam.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Ross

John ever been to Sam Choy's on Oahu is it similiar?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:49 PM
John

No, havent been any Sam Choy place(s?) on Oahu. I'd I sure would like to hear from some BI locals if Sam's in Kona has gone upscale similar to his other places. (Haven't been to the Kona place for a couple of years.) Are there now 2 restaurants in the Kona location, one the diner, the other a more upscale restaurant, or maybe the cafe morphs into a fancier place at night? It would be a national tragedy if the diner were to go away.