Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Family Oriented within driving distance from New York City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/family-oriented-within-driving-distance-from-new-york-city-171944/)

Lucy Zamot Mar 14th, 2002 04:26 AM

Family Oriented within driving distance from New York City

We're looking for a place that is within driving distance from New York city. We have a 4.5 yr. old and a nine month old baby. We want to get away somewhere between the end of July and/or end of August. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Howard Mar 14th, 2002 04:32 AM

Lucy, you'll have to provide a lot more information: how long a getaway, what time of the year, what your interests are, how much you want to spend, what "within driving distance" means to you, etc., etc., etc.

Jessica Mar 14th, 2002 04:45 AM

Ocean City New Jersey is a great family resort with no alcohol sold on the island. I have been going there since I was a child. Near Cape May which also another great location. Actually I prefer the shops and restaurants in Cape May just no beachfront homes as in Ocean City.<BR><BR>Just in the Hamptons this past summer and that place is BEAUTIFUL. Always stayed away as I could smell the arrogance from Manhattan but now I say make the trip.<BR><BR>My sister owns up home near Kingston/Woodstock New York. There is a gorgeous water reserve up there Showcan (SP), many hiking trails in surrounding mountains, mild walking to strenuous. The path we did was mild walking no climbing and we still had gorgeous views of lakes and mountains. The landscape reminds me of Scotland. You also have the quaint town of Woodstock. Ignore Howard not the brightest bulb as you will soon notice if you read other posts.

Howard Mar 14th, 2002 05:10 AM

And tell me, Jessica, are you always like this, or only when you forget to take your medicine?

Harriett Mar 14th, 2002 05:35 AM

Not sure what Jessica's point is in her snide comment re. Howard, who is only attempting to find out how best to offer suggestions that might be useful to Lucy . . . I've always found his comments and suggestions regarding NYC - and other topics, including photography and his travels in Europe -- to be both thoughtful and useful. <BR><BR>Let's be nice!!!<BR><BR>One place you might want to investigate is Niagara on the Lake, a lovely community a world away, but only a few driving miles, from Niagara Falls.

Richard Mar 14th, 2002 06:10 AM

August is a nice time to explore NY state mountain area it’s cooler, wide open and a nice escape from the city. I like the stars. <BR><BR>We also enjoy trips into Vermont, Brattelboro area. If you are not too tired of cities Boston has frequent park concerts, festivals and is another great trip.<BR><BR>Harriet read some of Howard’s comments on other posts. He came here twice only to argue. Lucy said she was with a youmg family traveling in August wanted ideas driving distance. I don't list my interest on similar inquiries because I don't want to restrict flow of ideas. Does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Sorry, I too am annoyed with individuals like Howard.<BR>

Clare Mar 14th, 2002 06:25 AM

I agree why do we have to needle people just because they are asking a simple vacation ideas. Lucy was talking about August that tells me she was wide open on ideas.<BR><BR>I am a Pennslyvannia Dutch fan Lucy. This place never looses my interest, such a unique community in our country. I will take your meaning driving distance as meaning you can drive there, for some this may be a leaping assumption but I think well it means you can drive there. We also like Hersey park, boy does that factory smell great!!! Your 4.5 year old will love it!<BR>

Clare Mar 14th, 2002 06:28 AM

Pennsylvania

Ellen Mar 14th, 2002 06:34 AM

I must disagree about the Hamptons / Manhattan arrogance statement. Yes, there are a lot of folks in the Hamptons who have mega $$$. That doesn't necessarily make a person arrogant. Nor does the fact that they are well dressed and drive a nice car. That said, you might try Sag Harbor or Montauk - both very child friendly. I will be happy to provide more info on both should you like. Another great place is Mohonk Mountain Lodge - great for kids, but a bit expensive. I think everyone should go there once. Kids are free for 2 weeks in the summer, but you better book it now. <BR><BR>And Howard, don't even bother to respond to the Jessica's of the world. Who cares what she thinks of you anyway? I wish I could pick your brain for photography tips for my upcoming trip to Spain. The pics come out fine, but never seem to be inspired..

kelly Mar 14th, 2002 06:38 AM

Another vote for Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. It is beautiful and there is lots to see and do. There is a butterfly reserve nearby, that is kind of like visiting an indoor rainforest, your 4.5 year old will love it. The falls are close too. NOTL has great shops and you can rent bikes and a baby bike seat and ride on the great bike paths. There are lots of nice wineries in the area (you can even cycle to some) and they are usually quite child friendly (we went wine tasting and took my 13 month old niece and they gave us sparkling grape juice for her to "taste") If you stay at one of the nicer resorts you will also have access to some great spa services.

bobbie Mar 14th, 2002 06:45 AM

If you like the ocean, I would recommend Kennebunk Beach in Maine, next to Kennebunkport. There's a wonderful family association there where my children learned to swim, dive, sail, etc. Actually it's right there at Mother's Beach, also lots of dads!

Howard Mar 14th, 2002 06:53 AM

Wow! All I did was ask a few questions so that I could give more helpful advice.....not to argue! If we knew Lucy's budget, for example, it would help with recommending specific places to stay. And, if she told us what she considers "within driving distance," we could answer better. <BR>(Mea culpa on the time of her trip. I missed her mention of late August.)<BR>Suggestions: The Berkshires in Massachusetts; Vermont or New Hampshire.<BR>August is usually the hottest time of the year, so I'd head up north and cooler climate, relative speaking.<BR>

Howard Mar 14th, 2002 07:02 AM

PS: Ellen, here's a couple simple picture-taking tips:<BR>1. Most people taking pictures of other people stand too far away from their subjects. Get closer.<BR>2. Spend an extra 10 seconds framing the picture as you look through the view finder. Most people just snap away without really "seeing" what they are actually photographing.

Kathy Mar 14th, 2002 07:35 AM

I wouldn't recommend Niagara on the Lake for a family with children this young unless they combined it with a trip to Toronto where there is much more to do for young kids (a beautiful zoo, science museum, amusement parks). Niagara on the Lake is really geared for adults and there aren't many child friendly eating options there. It's a beautiful town and the perfect destination for some, but I don't think it's for young families.

xxx Mar 14th, 2002 07:36 AM

I second Mohonk, www.mohonk.com. Sort of an all-inclusive, which I don't like, but an easy drive and spectacular setting.

Kathy Mar 14th, 2002 07:39 AM

Check out Rocking Horse Ranch in upstate New York, I believe Exit 21 on Thruway. Took my children when they were four and they had a ball. Very family-oriented with kids camp and fun things to do. Kids everywhere!

Sarah Mar 14th, 2002 08:06 AM

We also like New England but I would advise on the Adirondacks. I have not been in years but we use to love getting lost in that range. You also want to remember Washington D.C, all kinds of events, museums geared towards families. I second the Lancaster idea if you enjoy exploring other cultures. Another place I have always wanted to visit, is Asatig/Chicatig(?) (sp) island Maryland. There are wild horses running free there. Not sure what it is like in August but the Cape May Lewis ferry alone at dusk is worth the trip. Come to think of it Cape May is darling town.<BR><BR><BR>

madlyn Apr 13th, 2011 05:16 PM

Not sure of the spelling of the place in Maryland mentioned above, but it's closer to Assateague & Chincateague. Very lovely.

mjkre Apr 13th, 2011 05:37 PM

Do you like the beach? Hampton Bays, NY has a great Bay Beach called Meschutte Beach for kids and grown ups complete with life guards, a restaurant and a playground. Bands play at night. All very child friendly and low key. The ocean is also on the South End of town. Any of the Hamptons are fun, but traffic can be tough and lodging expensive. Fire Island is always a blast if you could rent a house there.

A great place I took my kids to when they were younger was Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster, Pa. It has all the rides that Disney does, no lines and a small waterpark attached to the main park. It even has a princess, a dragon and a high dive show! Only an hour from Hershey so if you find lodging in the middle you are only a half hour from each.

Rocking Horse Ranch can be fun, but pricey, I think.

SAnParis2 Apr 13th, 2011 06:13 PM

The kids are in High School now, this post is from 2002