Search

Family of 4- 3 day trip to NYC itinerary- what do you think

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family of 4- 3 day trip to NYC itinerary- what do you think

Hello all
I have read all the posts on this forum and came up with a 3 day itinerary for our family of 4- 2 kids (boy 11 & girl 8). Please let me know what you think

A little background- first time in NYC for the kids was a day trip in April- we went to Museum of Natural History, ESPN zone, Toys R Us and had dinner at Ellens Stardust- kids loved it- favorite was Time's Square!

We are going to NYC- July 29-31- have reservations at the Blakely Hotel

Day 1- Sunday
We will arrive to hotel around 10:30/11:00
* Take subway to Brooklyn- eat lunch at Grimaldi's and icecream factory for desert- Walk across the bridge
* Ride the "Beast"
* Walk around village and surrounding areas
* Dinner- something quick ??
* Back to hotel to catch Show Legally Blonde at 7:00
* If kids are still up for it- desert??

Day 2- Monday
* Bagels for breakfast ( my kids love the carts on street- thought they had the best hot dogs/roasted peanuts last trip)
* Booked NYC Party Shuttle Tour for 10-3:30. I hope this was a good choice. I wanted them to get a good overview of the city- knowing it will be very hot- I wanted to watch how much walking. ( last trip I had them walking way to much)
* back to the hotel to relax
* Dinner- Want Italian- thinking about Maria Pia??
* ESB- I know the views are better at Top of Rock- but my kids really want to see ESB- thought it would be fun to do at night.

Day 3- Tuesday
* breakfast all 4- ??
* My daugther and I are spending the day at American Girl store- have our reservations for the show and lunch
* My husband and son- origially planned to do tour of Yankee Stadium- but it appears they are not running tour that day- so instead thought they would do a tour of Madison Square Garden ( both are huge sports fans and YANKEE Fans- we have tickets 4th of July). Then lunch for them at Mickey Mantles-if time a few games at ESPN

* take train home!

Please let me know that you think-
Thanks so much
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 12:55 PM
TC

Two things to add: near your hotel is a great place to eat that the kids would most likely love -- The Brooklyn Diner. Its on 57th Street, just two blocks from your hotel. They also have a new location near Times Square. The food is really good -- even for adults, but the kids would surely like this hip place.

http://www.brooklyndiner.com/

Just received an email from the Museum of American History and even though you've been before, their new exhibit is "Mythical Creatures" - mermaids, dinosaurs, dragons, etc. Something to keep in mind if other things fall through or the weather is bad one day.

http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/myth...tures/?src=e_f
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Overall, I'd say things will take longer than you think and kids will get tired walking. On day 1, if you do your plan, they will be exhausted by the time you get to the show. Also, the Beast leaves from midtown (42 st) so it wouldn't be near either the Brooklyn Bridge or the village. http://www.circleline42.com/index.ihtml?page=beast

I think after the Brooklyn Bridge walk, see how you feel and what time it is. Either do the village or head back to midtown for the Beast, but not both. For something "quick" to eat before the show, if you do the Beast, you could stop at Island Burger & Shakes on the way back. If you stay in the village, Corner Bistro for burgers maybe. For dessert, maybe Junior's for cheesecake.

Mon.
I have never had a decent bagel from a street cart. I'm not saying there may not be some, but I haven't had them. Bagel & Bean is near your hotel (I don't know it but decent on menupages)
http://menupages.com/restaurantdetai...10&cuisineid=8
or pick up some good bagels to keep in your room.

Maria Pia is a good choice as is the newly reopened and family friendly Trattoria Trecolori. But those are popular pre theater places and if you eat early, they will be crowded. What about heading downtown or a different neighborhood since you don't have to be there for theater?

For breakfast on Tuesday, maybe try Norma's in the Parker Meridien hotel or go back to Ellen's Stardust if they liked that last time.

Have a great trip.

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies!

TC- I will keep the brooklyn Dinner in mind!

Mclaurie- thanks for the tips- I do want to avoid the kids being to exhausted- and with no shows on Monday - Sunday is our only choice.
I thought the the beast was closer to the seaport/bridge- with that said the kids really want to ride the Beast- so we will skip the village.

Any suggestions for another neighbor hood for an italian dinner Monday night?

Thanks again
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 02:23 PM

I agree with mclaurie your day 1 itinerary includes too many things to do too far apart. it sounds as though you are trying to go farther downtown than you did on your last trip, but Brooklyn/the Bridge/Greenwich village won't all work with the Beast plus an early dinner and show.

I think exploring some neighborhood(s) downtown makes sense but at a different pace.

At those ages our kids liked the Lower East Side Tenement museum (easier for them to understand/relate to than Ellis Island). If you go there you will be near great bagels
They also enjoyed south St Seaport museum.

Chinatown is also fun
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
mp

Instead of the Beast (which used to leave from the seaport but now only seems to be from pier 83) you could try the Chelsea Screamer - the same experience, a big yellow speedboat - a little less "rock n roll" than the Beast but still fast and fun up and down the Hudson. It leaves from pier 62 at west 23rd St - it would be easy to do that and then take a short cab ride or the bus or walk to the west village. http://www.chelseascreamer.com/boatride.htm

My son loves the beast and the Screamer - we do it at least once a year.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

mp-
Thanks for the suggestion of the Chelsea Screamer- may try that intead!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Slightly below the Brooklyn Bridge ia Southstreet Seaport.Fun places to eat on the river. Or slightly above the Bridge is Chinatown and Little Italy.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 06:29 AM

We're there July 7-12; you're ahead of me. I don't quite have an itinerary yet.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 07:47 AM

WHen I was in New York I did the ESB at night and it was probably one of the best things I did! The city looks so beautiful at night time all lit up!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Don't get a bagel from the street cart!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone - we leave for NYC Sunday morning, can't wait!! Thanks for all the suggestions/great info- just a few additional questions. I will post a trip report when we return.

Sunday
Discount tickets are not available for legally blonde so we are going to skip the show. With that said- there is my revised plan for Day 1
* Grab early lunch- Island Burgers & Shakes
* Ride the Beast
* Head down to seaport area - check it out and take a water taxi over to Brooklyn. Eat at Grimaldis for an early dinner- Walk over the bridge.
* I know there really is not "Little Italy" anymore, but kids want to see the area and have dessert
* Head back to hotel

Question??-- what is the best way to get around with transportation this day??

Monday-
Plan stays the same - decided on reservations at Maria Pia.

Question??- If it is cloudy and rainy as the weather forcast is predicting- is it worth the trip to ESB- my kids really want to go- but I don't want it to be a waste.

Tuesday- again plan stays the same- I think we will try Brooklyn Diner for Breakfast

Thanks again!

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Sorry- one more question I forget to post-
I have read several post that Grimaldi's cleans it's ovens late afternoon- therefore there could be a long wait for pizza ( missypie- just read your post on this as well). Since we will probably be there for 4:30-5:00 do you think we will be ok?
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Try Ess-a-bagel or any place that makes their own bagels. Others include Tal's, David's, H & H (no place to sit), and Pick-a-bagel.

Bagels are supposed to be boiled before being baked, They are also supposed to be chewy on the inside and crusty on the outside. If they have what looks like hives on the bottom, the have been steamed.

Brooklyn Diner and Ellen's are in tourist areas for a reason. They do not get many tourists. The problem with the Times Square area is that even Ny'ers are forced to get their breakfasts and lunches at these types of places.

For a great breakfast without table service try City Bakery. For a very good breakfast, out of the way, and realtively cheap, try Clinton Street Bakery, and for a very nice sit down try City Hall restaurant.

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:56 AM

I took my 2 teen girls on the Party Shuttle and it was their favorite part of the trip. I do suggest one thing; the shuttle makes a stop down at the port. There was a good mexican restaurant there and a few other places, but you only have 30 min and that's not long enough for a sit down lunch. I highly suggest hitting a deli, or preordering from some place and bringing a box lunch with you. Have a great trip!!