Family of 3 traveling to Kauai in November

Old Jul 18th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Family of 3 traveling to Kauai in November

Trip Nov.21 - Nov. 27, 2018

My wife and and 10 year son and I have just purchased airline tickets for a November trip to Kauai.
We are nature lover and hope to hike and see as many of the sites as possible. But we want to enjoy what we do see and not hurry.
Our flight reached the Island at 4:30 PM on Wednesday November 21. Our flight home leaves at 8:50PM on Tuesday the 27st. We plan on renting a car .
Should we split our lodging between 2 or more hotels or is it practical to home base at only one hotel. We do not want high end resort style accommodations.
We are looking for comfortable and well located accommodations. Maybe we could splurge on our last couple of days and treat ourselves to some valued luxury

This is our first visit to Hawaii and we do not know what to expect. Should we rent a jeep or regular car?
Any suggestions on accommodations and how we should structure and allocate our time would be appreciated.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 04:24 PM

Have you thought about renting a condo/apartment? Do not know your budget, but a rental could save a lot of money as you could have breakfast at home, an occasional lunch or dinner, takeout or cooking. No matter what, Kauai will enchant you
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 05:25 PM

Rent a regular car, you really don't need a jeep. I'dc choose one place to stay, on the sunny south coast (Poipu) rather than the much-loved by many North coast, as it is likely to be pretty wet in November. We love Kauai, and spend a month there every year.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Yes... a condo sounds like a good option. I hate to spend much more then $350 a day on the condo, but I open to spending more if it makes our trip better. I am reading that Poipu, on the South Shore, is a favorite of many travelers. Do you have any good suggestions for that area? Thank you so much for your kind reply.

Rod J
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

. I hate to spend much more then $350 a day on the condo, but I open to spending more if it makes our trip better. I am reading that Poipu, on the South Shore, is a favorite of many travelers. Do you have any good suggestions for that area? Thank you so much for your kind reply.

Rod J
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 11:29 AM

We also always stay in Poipu (we like the fact that there are condos and hotels ON the beach, as opposed to up north, where most are on cliffs above the beach, while recognizing that the north shore of Kauai is spectacularly beautiful, while the south shore is just beautiful LOL. Also, as Kathie said, the weather should be more reliably great on the south shore - though it's weather, you never know!). We really loved Kiahuna Plantation (nice units, great grounds and terrific beach), but there are many choices (we've also stayed at the Marriott Waiohai - it's a timeshare and all the units are 2-bedrooms. The units are nice, and the grounds are gorgeous) and the Grand Hyatt (it was just two of us, for 4 nights - with a family, and even for 2 f us for a longer stay, I'd definitely choose a condo)
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your input!
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 02:18 PM

My vote would also go to the Marriott Waoihai in Poipu, they are two bedroom timeshares on a very nice beach, you can rent from an owner on someplace like Redweek or TUG2. I've only toured the property but the units I saw were all very well done.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 03:46 PM

We are in Poipu right now and are staying in a rental home a two minute walk from Baby Beach. I prefer staying in a home over a condo, but well located homes are generally going to cost more than a well located condo. For condos in Poipu I would reccomend Whalers Cove, Kiahuna or Poipu Kapili. You should be able to find something for close to your budget.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Kal

Several inexpensive hotels/condos in the Coconut Coast (Wailua/Kapaa) area. This location is basically central to the island. About 10 mins to the airport, 40 mins to P'ville, Poipu and maybe 60 to Waimea Canyon or Polihale...all depending on traffic.

Another reason we like the CocoCoast area is a lot on inexpensive, yet very good restaurants, most within walking distance. Safeway and Foodland nearby, too.

Our first trip over was also in Nov. Nov '89. Been going over every year since but for the Iniki year and last year we made a BIG mistake and went to FLA instead. LOL

@ Werth...where is Baby Beach in Poipu? By Brenneke's? Mahalo
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input. I will research the Coconut Coast area.