Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family holidays in the States-where would you go ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Reinhard

In the last years we have seen quite a lot of the States . We are a German family with three sons( 16,15,13 years) and we have been to Las Vegas, California, Florida, Hawaii and NYC.Regardless of the events in NY we plan our holidays next summer.
We want to see something new and would like
to have holidays with our boys as well.
What have you done with your children,what would you recommend ?

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 11:30 AM
traveler

Have you toured our National Parks? Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Yosemite, Yellowstone? Or Washington DC and the Virginia areas, including Williamsburg? Lots of our history in those two places.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Julie

Wow--I think the previous poster must have read my mind. Depending on the type of experience you're looking for, I would also recommend either the DC area or one of our National Parks (particularly those out West). The DC area is great for history, museums, monuments, etc., but you can't beat places like the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone for natural beauty.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 04:24 PM
rqf

Consider a tour of the national parks in the southwest. In two to three weeks you could visit the following in Arizona, Colorado and Utah: Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest NP, Canyon de Chelly, Mesa Verde NP, Monument Valley, Arches, CAnyonlands, Capitol Reef, Byrce and Zion National Parks.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 11:35 AM
MJ

I would recommend Alaska, absolutely beautiful. My family is planning a trip there in 2003 when our child is a bit older.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Beth2

My vote would be either New Mexico with all the weird landscapes and Native American Indian reservations, OR coastal New England for traditional American charm and ocean beaches. I'd recommend southern Maine (Ogunquit, Kennebunkport) and/or Cape Cod.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 07:23 AM
patg

With three teenage boys, how about a rafting trip down one of the rivers in the west? The Grand Canyon trips should be booked 18 months in advance, but there are many less well-known trips that would be great for an active family.