Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family-friendly place in Virginia or West Virginia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking for ideas for a family-friendly place (nice but not outrageously expensive) in Virginia or West Virginia for an extended weekend trip in late fall. My parents will be celebrating their 50th anniversary, and we'd like them to relax and spend time with their children and grandchildren, but there should be some fun activities for everyone (ages 3 to 77) to enjoy. Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:29 PM
emd

It depends on what type of fun activities you are looking for. I think some of the wonderful natural areas of West VA would be nice (around Blackwater Falls state park; they have cabins and a nice lodge, w/indoor pool, etc) but it is outdoors oriented, hiking, walking outdoors in the fall foliage, relaxing by the fire etc. What exactly are you looking for to fill your time, and would you prefer something like that or something more urban?
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:41 PM
E

Colonial Williamsburg is family-friendly, and would be lovely in late fall. There are activities for all ages, and restaurants at all price ranges. While I haven't tried any myself, I have friends who have rented timeshares nearby and have been very pleased with the amenities.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Actually, we were considering Colonial Williamsburg, so we'd welcome ideas for places to stay there. We like outdoors-oriented activities as well as museums, sightseeing, etc., so we're pretty flexible.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:16 PM

Mountains or coast? The beautiful Mountain Lake Hotel near Blacksburg VA is secluded - www.mtnlakehotel.com - and has a main lodge and cottages. The timeshare idea for Williamsburg is good too. Also check out Graves Mountain Lodge at www.gravesmountain.com Many Virginia state parks offer cabins in addition to camping, and renting a lodge or group of cabins might fit your needs - www.dcr.state.va.us/parks - I have stayed in cabins at Douthat State Park, Westmoreland State Park, and Twin Lakes State Park. Check the website out for locations and availability. Have fun!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 05:53 AM
KMK

How about Snowshoe Mountain, West Virginia? You can rent some really nice condos there, and have the anniversary dinner at The Red Fox (which is a VERY nice restaurant!) Go to www.snowshoemtn.com and click on 'summer' to see what activities they have - I know they have a golf course, hiking trails, a lake, and wonderful scenery. Rates and activities/events will probably be determined by exactly WHEN in the fall you are going. Pretty sure there are kids activities most of the time as well, and I think some of the condo complexes have indoor pools and/or hot tubs. (I go there for the great mountain biking, but it seems to me that off-season, a lot of ski resorts make for great, relaxing outdoors vacations at reduced rates.)
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:20 AM
E

Kathyngs, try doing a search here, as there have been many Williamsburg threads--then, repost asking about recent W. hotel recommendations, experiences, etc. Happy trails!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 03:10 PM

Another vote for Mountain Lake Hotel near Blacksburg. We have been going there as a family for more than 20 years. When my children were young we went there with their grandparents. I hope to take my grandchildren there some day as well. Can't say enough nice things about it. It is my favorite place in the world.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:51 PM

We stayed at Kingsmill Resort when visiting Williamsburg - indoor pool, outdoor pool, health club, complementary 9 hole golf course, shuttle to CW, WaterCountry and Busch Gardens as well; good restaurants and your choice of hotel rooms or condos. Kingsmill Kids is their children's program if the adults want to play golf or something. The busch classic golf tournament is played there in October so check dates to make sure you're not in conflict as rooms could be scarce that weekend.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:50 AM

The Peaks of Otter Lodge would be perfect for the older folks, but I'm not sure that it offers enough activity for the grandkids. Located between Roanoke and Buena Vista, it is a scenic retreat in the heart of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Natural Bridge VA and the WWII Memorial in Bedford are nearby. You can obtain more information about this facility at the Hotel link, Virginia/Blue Ridge Parkway on this website.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The golf tournament at Kingsmill has been switched to May. It is now an LPGA event and much more fun than the PGA event.