family friendly comedy clubs in nyc,

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in New York on Dec. 20 with a free evening. Any family friendly comedy clubs? Also, what is best time of day to run in Central Park?
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM

Well Dec is likely to be very chilly - so if yuo really want to run in the park I would keep it for the middle of the day - when it will be warmer. Be sure you have lots of layers - including glove, hat and scarf - since it can be VERY cold in Dec. If you're lucky and get warmer weather - 50 or so - you may want to tun earlier.

You don;t say where you're stayng, not how far you want to run - so I can;t reco where to go. (The park is closed to traffic except for a couple of hours at am and pm rush - but bike and running paths are clearly marked. Don;t run in the bike paths or you risk being run down.

As for "family friendly" - how old are the kids? Most of the clubs have a lot of adult comics - so unless it's older teens you may want to reconsider. Also - there are minimums for drinks - even if only soft drinks. Ify you check out the web site of Time Out New York you can get details.
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
mp

there is a monthly kids stand up comedy show at the Gotham Comedy club - don't know if the schedule will fit in w/ yours, but check it out:
http://www.kidsncomedy.com/pages/shows.html

Also, Caroline's sometimes has family friendly shows, but a glance at the schedule doesn't look like there's aything coming up - but maye you can call or email them
http://www.carolines.com/
l
ast you might try the club called comix
http://www.comixny.com/calendar.aspx

Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

teen is a grown up 14. We are staying at the London Hotel. My daughters were going to run Saturday morning. Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 12:19 PM

As a rule, comedy clubs are not family friendly and 14, no matter how grown up, may not be an age where you want to share a show that may include sexually explicit comments/jokes accompanied by very salty language.

Jeff Dunham, the Amazing Jonathan or Penn and Teller might be OK, altho unlikely that any of them happens to be appearing on that night!

Some improv groups are less ribald. You might want to do a search and see if there are any and see how they are described.
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
mp

Oh - trythe Upright Citizens Brigade, too - the training ground for Comedy Central and SNL.
http://newyork.ucbtheatre.com/
not likely that they will have a teen friendly show, but possible
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM

I think you can count on sexually explicit material and very strong language at any comedy show that's not listed specifically for kids. (And since the comics change the show as they go - you never know exactly what to expect.)

(Not that it's anything most 14 year olds haven;t heard before - but not together with their parents.)

Running the early morning is fine as long as they're used to running in cold weather - not at all the same as warmer. They need to be dressed properly (and take layers off as they run) and take longer to warm up before starting.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 03:57 AM

My teens love the improv shows!! We have gone to see "Chicago CIty Limits," but they do have some off-color moments... I have read online about Manhattan Comedy, which says it is family friendly, but I haven't been to it. There is alot of audience participation in these shows.