first new york visit

Search

first new york visit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first new york visit

my wife and i are coming to new york for a short holiday trip from harrogate in england 11th to 14th june. we are staying on 7th ave & 55th st. any help on how to get the best out of our holiday would be much appreciated.thanks very much
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 03:01 AM

One activity you might want to consider is a bus tour of the city. There is a hop on/hop off tour given by Grayline that will take you all over Manhattan allowing you to get off at the places that interest you, have a look around, and then you get on the next Grayline tour bus and continue. There are several different tours to choose from and they are a great way to get oriented. Here is the Grayline website: http://www.graylinenewyork.com/
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 03:38 AM

For starters, check out Fodor's NYC destination guide on this site. It'll give you a good foundation for your trip.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:03 AM

Also, read past threads/discussions on this board. There's so much to do in NYC, we can help if you give us specifics about your interests and schedule.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:19 AM
Rob

I am sure you have done some research and there are sites that you want to visit. If you list these we can provide information on how to organize your days to maximize ypur sightseeing time.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:35 AM

I agree with the advice you've gotten. The Gray Line bus tour provides a good overview of the city for a short visit. They offer several different tour options. Many people find just the "downtown loop" is enough to see major highlights but there's also an option for a 2 day pass you might consider. The weather should be good so take advantage of Central Park (but not on the 13th-read on)which is within walking distance of your hotel. The park starts on 59th st. The park has a website if you want to see what's there. There's a nice restaurant in the park called the Boat House.

There are places online to buy discount theater tickets if that interests you. Try broadwaybox.com, playbill.com, theatermania.com They provide discount codes that you can use for online or phone purchase.

You will be located right near City Center which is a nice venue for music & dance. You might check their website for what will be playing. You're also close to Carnegie Hall (classical music).

The website nycvisit.com has a lot of info. Not sure I'd buy the tours they offer though. I had a quick look on their calendar for your dates. There are several street fairs downtown that might interest you. The Puerto Rican Day parade is on the 13th. It's on 5th ave between 44th st & 86t st. I'd personally avoid the area (which also means the Metropolitan museum & Central Park) on that day. Too crowded, noisy and traffic clogged because they close 5th ave to vehicular traffic.

Trattoria Dell 'Arte on 7th ave betw. 56-57 is a good, fun Italian rest. famous for their antipasto bar. They also have excellent thin crust pizza. I love their veal parmesan (it's huge-enough for 2 really) & other posters have mentioned great sounding desserts. Redeye Grill is another good rest. on 7th & 56th for good American/seafood.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:14 AM

A couple of favorite New Yorker activities include:
Picnics/relaxing/jogging/cycling on sunny days in Central Park
Visiting the weekend flea markets in NY's Soho and Chelsea
Farmers Market in Union Square

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:46 AM
bk3

For a first time visitor, a trip around the city on the Circle Line (http://www.circleline42.com) is a must. If you like the water with less chatter (make that no running commentary but a nice chat w/ the crew) take a harbor sail on the the triple mast schooners that go out of either Chelsea Piers or the South Street Seaport. Both go around the Statute of Liberty and are perfect for relaxing on a hot summer day. Info on both are at
http://www.scaranoboat.com/content.p...g_Schedule.txt or http://www.southstreetseaportmuseum....blicsails.html

Speaking of hot summer day, though not the prettiest of beaches you may get a kick out of a visit to Coney Island and have a Nathan's Hot Dog on the boardwalk before ya hit the Cyclone roller coaster.

The views may be better at the Empire State Building during the day but I prefer visiting the observatory at night - they are open til at least 11pm. No matter when ya go, do yourself a favor and buy tix in advance, they are good anytime and you will save a lot of time by not having to stand in line. See, https://www.esbnyc.com/tickets/index...FTOKEN=5668362

Have a great time on our wee island!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 09:41 AM

On our first visit to NYC (several years ago)the highlight of our trip was the sunset Circle Line cruise; that remains one of my fondest memories of the city. Whatever you do, don't be like me and try to cram 7 days of touring into four days!
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 08:28 PM

check out Cool Cat Club Crawls if you want to hear live Jazz & Blues in Greenwich Village. http://www.webspawner.com/users/nyctours
I probably will be going with them when I get there.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:18 PM

It would help to know something about you-- what do you like to do, for example, when you visit London? How much are you willing to walk? Do you prefer gardens or museums?
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Cassandra

ILLEGAL ADVERTISING ALERT! Bobla is a shill. Avoid the Cool Cat place.

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 08:42 AM
MaureenB

If you post your preferences, you can get some more specific recommendations. For starters, I suggest you to go Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center), at dusk, to see the Empire State Building and all of the city lit up at night. It's breathtaking.

Otherwise, also search this forum for lots of ideas in NYC. We were there last October and walked all over the city for three days. I posted a trip report here, with restaurant recommendations, too.

Welcome to the US!
>-

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 08:44 AM

HELLO. This thread is 3 years old.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 09:31 AM
MaureenB

Oh, jeez, that's funny! I should remember to check dates.
>-