Fam of 8-From MI to Yellowstn, Glacier and Grd Teton in 14 Days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2016, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 8 (6 kids ages 20-10) will be traveling from Michigan to Yellowstone, Glacier and Grand Teton next summer. We will be pulling our travel trailer. We only have 14 DAYS TOTAL!!!
This is a once in a lifetime trip, and will most likely never return to this area of the country with all 6 kids. We want to make the most of our trip. We're willing to pack up camp and move each night if necessary.
Suggestions? Campgrounds?
Our kids are awesome travelers and we have 4 drivers, so we're willing to travel many hours at a time.
The 3 NPs listed are our main focus, but we would also love to fit in Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, perhaps a rodeo...or other suggestions!
Thanks for your suggestions!!!
Old Jul 7th, 2016, 12:15 PM

I don't have any advice as I did this trip from WI 40 years ago, but I still have great memories of it. I'm sure your kids will, too. Enjoy!
Old Jul 7th, 2016, 02:00 PM

If cost is an issue, use National Forest or BLM campgrounds when not in the national parks.

It's 1600 miles from Lansing to Yellowstone. I would count on four days of travel one way. That's 8 of the 15 days of your vacation. You probably should count on two days in the Tetons and 3 days in Yellowstone, a slow day of driving for Devil's Tower and Mt. Rushmore which would stretch your cross country jaunt by a day--that leaves one free day out of the 15. Don't count on doing more than the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone with Mt. Rushmore and Devil's Rower thrown in wither coming or going.
Old Jul 7th, 2016, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We left Holland at 8 AM so as to hit Chicago about 9 their time, so as to miss most of rush hour. Drove straight through to mid-Nebraska, getting there about 6. Next day we stopped at the Harold Warp Museum for two hours, and still made it to some town south of Yellowstone about 90 miles, about 6 pm
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 12:51 PM

Sounds like quite a road trip! When are you going?
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 05:43 PM

My thoughts on this. THREE days to YS going the northern route to hit Black Hills and Devil's Tower. Devil's tower has nice campground on the river. FOUR days minimum for YS and Grand Teton, TWO days to Grand Canyon(800plus miles.) TWO days minimum for GC. Watchtower is good, quieter campground.
So far a total of ELEVEN days with no rodeo , dude ranch or anything along Route 66. Leaves only THREE DAYS home and you are quite a ways south. I am an "awesome" traveler but this sounds pretty hectic and tiring.

I understand why people feel they have to cover so much ground in one trip but is it really worth it? Only you can make that decision.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

We're trying to fit in a lot. I know. We can't extend our trip, and this might be the only time we have all 6 kids with us on a trip 'out west'.

As of this evening, we're thinking:
One day to drive from Michigan to South Dakota
One day to visit SD highlights, and stay near Devil's Tower.
One day to drive to Yellowstone.
4 days at Yellowstone/Grand Teton
One day in Jackson (rodeo)
One day to drive to Grand Canyon via Hoover Dam
1 day at Grand Canyon
Travel to ranch in Texas
One day at ranch
Drive Home spending the night on the way.

It sounds like a lot. We're optimistic! We can also alter plans on the road if need be.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 05:12 AM

Yes, you are optimistic--especially with the Texas part! Just keep your "must sees" at the beginning of the trip.

Like you said, you can alter plans on the road.

I do suggest some good research on Yellowstone before you go--it's huge and you won't be able to see it all, so make a plan ahead of time of what's most important. I think a lot of people miss so much because they just don't know enough about it. They end up seeing Old Faithful and call it a day.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 05:23 AM

Wait... You are planning to drive from Jackson, WY, to Grand Canyon via Hoover Dam in 1 day? Best case is about 15 hours wheels turning - NO stops at all. And then to Texas, somewhere, in a day? And then back to Michigan, in a day?

I have no words other than good luck with that. But do enjoy your time in Yellowstone and GT/Jackson.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 12:46 PM

I have visions of Vacation, starring Chevy Chase.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 05:37 PM

Like someone said on your other thread, look at the dude ranches in Wyoming. You don't need to go all the way to Texas for that.

Lee Ann
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 05:43 PM

ElindiPickle is so right. I bet a dude ranch in Wyoming would be much more authentic than one in Texas, anyway.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Dayle, I have the same. Trust me!!!
We are cutting out the ranch and adding in horseback riding in Jackson instead. Reversing our agenda so we do our long drive from Michigan to Grand Canyon first while the kids are fresh.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 08:01 PM

bacon,

You have two young drivers who have exactly HOW much experience towing a trailer? That's a big concern for me. Don't know about you!

I understand that you are hoping to get in a big "out west" family trip before the older kids fly the nest. You can only hope that after this, the younger ones will still be willing to go on another of these road trips.

I think the entire family is in for a serious case of NB (numb butt).

The best advice I can give is "less is more". Buona fortuna.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 02:24 AM

Less is more. Happiness is paramount. As is not getting blood clots and numb-butt from endless sitting.

First of all, if you ever want your kids to go on a trip with you again, put their interest in mind. Kids are not into bucket-list checkoffs. Do they want to spend 14 days sitting in a car/truck/vehicle of some sort? Nuh-uh. Pick 3 places close together and make a circular trip - with lots of outdoor time, so they have fun and remember the trip as fun and want to go on another one. If you don't, all they will remember is the long boring exhausting drive, drive, pee, drive, eat, drive..

Distances out West are much farther than the Midwest. With your itinerary, the older ones will never join you on another road trip again. If instead you make it fun, memorable, and leave time for unplanned things to happen, they are much more likely to WANT to do something like this all together again. That in mind, NEVER visit the Grand Canyon in summer. Unbearably hot. Just don't. Take a peek at the Grand Canyon NPS website and look at the temperature graph. SMH. Visit Grand Canyon another year in Spring or Fall when its actually nice outside.

You're from Michigan, so driving from Jackson WY to the Grand Canyon is like driving from Toledo to Mackinac City back to Toledo and THEN back to Mackinac City. Would you do that in a day?? Would anyone??

How many driving hours per day can you handle on the way there and back, including pee stops and meals? The answer to that is pretty important for planning an itinerary.

Michigan to Glacier, to Yellowstone, to Tetons, to Jackson and back to Michigan is 4000 miles. The trip is 14 days, that's an average of ~300 miles per day. UGH. No way would I do that to my kids.

Can you add a 3d week? If not, remove Glacier and concentrate on Yellowstone, Tetons, and Jackson and explore the infinite variety within this area. (and do not wander off trail in Yellowstone)

Best Itinerary:
Day 1: Drive the I-90 route, eat, pee, sleep.
Day 2: Drive the I-90 route, eat, pee, sleep.
Day 3: You should be in SD by this point. Take a day off from driving and explore the Badlands NP, Wall Drug Store, & Rapid city/Mt. Rushmore area, Custer SP, Wind Cave NP.
Day 4: Drive all day. See the rodeo in Cody WY.
DAYS 5-6-7 Yellowstone. Buy a book, decide sights to see.
DAYS 8-9-10 Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole
Day 11: Drive south out of Jackson and take the I-80 route toward Omaha.
Day 12: No driving. See the Omaha Zoo. All kids will love this day and love you for not driving.
Day 13: Drive toward home.

Wait, what happened to Day 14? With a 13 day itinerary you have a day open. Decide to see Devil's Tower, or maybe everyone liked the Mt. Rushmore area and you can spend a second day there on the spur of the moment. Or maybe that awesome Western Museum in Cody. Or that rafting trip in Jackson.

Rather than cram too much in, plan your trip like swiss cheese - let spontainety fill the gaps and your kids will have a blast.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Ok, party poopers But thanks. We're really giving this some thought. My husband and I are seriously rethinking our agenda.

A couple things:

-Our kids are used to traveling long distances. We drive to and from Florida (21 hours) nonstop for spring break. We stop to go to the bathroom and eat. Our kids still like us (sort of ��).
-Good point about the young drivers pulling the trailer.

-Can any of you help with Yellowstone/Teton agenda? If we spend 3 days at each, do we stay in the same campground? Move around?

Can you think of a good amusement or water park on the route home? The kids would love that as our final on-the-way-home stop.

Thank you!
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 07:02 AM

Yes you drive to Florida back and forth. But that is driving to a place you have evidently been multiple times and you are not trying to see new things along the way or do tons of new things while you are there. Big difference.

For 3 days in Yellowstone, just make it easy and stay at the same campground. Canyon would be a good relatively central place. Yellowstone is huge and it takes time to drive around both loops. You wont be able to see everything, so consult the NPS website and decide what your prioroties are. Make your reservations NOW!

GTNP has several nice campgrounds. I usually like Coulter Bay.

Learn the wildlife safey rules and take them very very seriously.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 09:04 AM

For a water park type experience in Wyoming, check out this place in Thermopolis, a neat small town with some nice natural hot springs: www.starplunge.com.