Fall Foliage Hudson Valley this October

Old Sep 26th, 2021, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fall Foliage Hudson Valley this October

Hello, my husband and I (early 60's) are visiting Hudson Valley in few weeks & staying at a small cottage 25 mins West of New Patz.
Besides visiting Minnewaska State Park, Mohonk Mountain House, do you all have any suggestions for us to best see fall foliage and experience Hudson Valley area?

We prefer to drive no more than 45 mins to destinations and spend more time enjoying the places vs. travel time.

Thank you,
Thao
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 06:03 AM

I assume you mean New Paltz not New Patz.

If your timing is for fall color is right, which it should be for early to mid-October, just about every place you can reach in a 45 minute drive will have great foliage.

If you like doing walks/hikes through woodland check out areas around Balsam Lake Mountain Forest, Slide Mountain Wilderness, Delaware Wild Forest and Sundown Wild Forest. You might also enjoy visiting Woodstock, Tannersville, Catskill or Cario.

Hint: If you bring up New Paltz on Google Maps you'll be able to see the location of more than a dozen different forests in the area known Big Indian Wilderness - it's prime country for Fall Foliage viewing.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 12:25 PM

I have lived in the Hudson Valley for 35 years, and my observation is that peak foliage is around October 15 each year, plus or minus about 10 days, depending on the weather leading up to autumn.

If you limit yourself to a 45 minute drive you will be missing one of the great foliage tours, which is along Route 28 between Kingston and Margaretville, and, if you are willing to go further, to Oneonta. The colors are spectacular and the vistas enhance the viewing.

Whatever you decide, whether within 45 minutes or two hours, you will find some great viewing. Good luck!
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 12:28 PM
J62

Unless you are actually staying there, Mohonk mtn house is not worth the entry price just for day use, imo...

The nearby Undercliff / Overcliff trails are a great hike. You can do all or a portion of the trail, with great views along the way. Look at a trail map/info on somewhere like alltrails.com.

The trail around the lake at Minnewaska is an enjoyable hike as well.
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your recommendations! We will definitely check into all the spots. And yes, it is New Paltz. I typed it on my phone so the wording is small so missed the spelling!

Do you have any recommendations for places to eat?

Thank you, Roamsaround!

Last edited by Family_5; Oct 3rd, 2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by georgeb944
I have lived in the Hudson Valley for 35 years, and my observation is that peak foliage is around October 15 each year, plus or minus about 10 days, depending on the weather leading up to autumn.

If you limit yourself to a 45 minute drive you will be missing one of the great foliage tours, which is along Route 28 between Kingston and Margaretville, and, if you are willing to go further, to Oneonta. The colors are spectacular and the vistas enhance the viewing.

Whatever you decide, whether within 45 minutes or two hours, you will find some great viewing. Good luck!
Wow, live in Hudson Valley for 35 years. This is our 1st time to visit Hudson Valley; even though we have been to NY city many times
We definitely check out your recommendation of Route 28 between Kingston and Margarettville!
Actuallly, I just looked it up and where our VRBO (west of New Paltz) to Margarettville - only 1 hr 15 mins! Awesome!
Do you have any recommendation for restaurants in New Paltz or Margarettville?
Thank you, georgeb944

Last edited by Family_5; Oct 3rd, 2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J62
Unless you are actually staying there, Mohonk mtn house is not worth the entry price just for day use, imo...

The nearby Undercliff / Overcliff trails are a great hike. You can do all or a portion of the trail, with great views along the way. Look at a trail map/info on somewhere like alltrails.com.

The trail around the lake at Minnewaska is an enjoyable hike as well.
Thank you, I was wondering myself if it is worth paying $30 for day pass to visit the Mohonk Trail. We stay at a VRBO 25 mins from Mohonk.
Day pass only could be purchased 72 hrs in advance anyway...so either way we have to see what will be the weather will be!
And where we stay is very close to Minnewaska State Park, so we defintely will check out the trail around the lake.

Last edited by Family_5; Oct 3rd, 2021 at 12:12 PM.