Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fall Foliage 4-day weekend (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fall-foliage-4-day-weekend-784240/)

sunlover May 12th, 2009 11:31 AM

Fall Foliage 4-day weekend

My birthday is end of September and we are looking to get out of Florida last weekend Sept/first weekend in October to celebrate in a romantic/historic location. We want to do "fall things". Sounds weird but we just don't have that in Florida, LOL.

Please help us find a fabulous hotel/location as I know the good ones will book up by June for the fall trips. Here are the basics for your assistance:

1) We are a couple in our mid/late 30s no kids. Very active, like nice hotels and restaurants. Interests are everything from hiking to winery tours, historic homes, spas (okay well me at least on these last two), hole in the wall pubs and just driving around to see sights.

2) Location must be somewhere w/i 1 hour driving distance of an airport serviced by Southwest airlines as we have free tickets. So places like Cape Cod, Mass, Ashville, NC are out . . . . .

3) Our budget is not unlimited and we can't afford the Greenbrier or the Inn at Little Washington but we can afford about $250/night for lodging and are looking for a quaint inn or lodge similar to these and do not want to stay in a commercial hotel and do not want to stay in a big city. Location is probably mid-Atlantic or northeastern states.

Alright Fodorites, any help is appreciated!!!!!

vjpblovesitaly May 12th, 2009 11:49 AM

Location must be somewhere w/i 1 hour driving distance of an airport serviced by Southwest airlines as we have free tickets. So places like Cape Cod, Mass, Ashville, NC are out . .

Southwest flies to Providence, RI, which is very close to Massachusetts, and Manchester, NH. Southwest is also starting service to Boston Logan in September (with a layover at BWI, I believe for flights starting in FL)

tchoiniere May 12th, 2009 11:55 AM

Manchester, NH then drive to the White Mountains. You will not see foliage in southern NE at that point

Centralparkgirl May 12th, 2009 12:00 PM

If you fly into Providence, why not do a weekend in Newport? It's really nice with lovely inns, restaurants, Cliff Walk, mansions, etc.

DebitNM May 12th, 2009 12:14 PM

Come to New Mexico! Fall in the southwest is spectacular; it's our best season.

Oct 3rd is the start of our Hot Air Balloon Fiesta with over 700 balloons filling the deep blue skies. Sunny, warm days, cool crisp nights [perfect for a fire in your kiva fireplace] - it is wonderful.

Southwest flies here nonstop from Orlando in under 4 hours.

You can also do spas; museums, a great zoo, hike, bike, learn about Native American culture, go to Santa Fe, see art galleries, eat great food and stay in lovely hotels or adobe homes.

The colors are not quite the same as New England, but we sure make up for it with our colorful chiles!

http://www.balloonfiesta.com/

So, come out and try something really different for fall.

Deb

simpsonc510 May 12th, 2009 02:17 PM

I second the idea of flying into Manchester NH and then driving north into the mountains. I'm doing that very same thing, but over Columbus Day weekend in October. Last year at that time, I saw some lovely color in the trees. The mountain streams are also really beautiful and calming!!

nlg May 12th, 2009 02:19 PM

I would also suggest Manchester NH(go up to Maine) or Providence(go to Newport). We have done both trips and you will love either one. Both airports are small and easy to get a rental car.

rncheryl May 12th, 2009 02:35 PM

This is interesting. I miss fall too, raking leaves, the crisp air, wearing sweaters.

Where do you suggest staying in upper New England. (We too are Southwest fliers).

Jaya May 12th, 2009 02:39 PM

Not that you need it, but here's another vote for Manchester, NH and then driving north from Manchester (take route 93 north to at least exit 20). There should be foliage in the Lakes Region by first week of October.

Take a day cruise on the Mount Washington boat (about 2 hours) on Lake Winnipesaukee and you will see gorgeous scenery.

Stay up around Meredith, NH. There are many boutique hotels and B&B's. You'll be in the heart of quaint New England too.

dfrostnh May 13th, 2009 01:52 AM

For NH's Lakes/White Mountains Region color should be good by the first week of October. Last week of September can be iffy but it should be starting in the mountains. If you stay in the Meredith area, which is right on the lake, scenery will be terrific. Cruise on the Mount Washington is a great suggestion. Lots of hiking opportunities. From MHT it may be slightly more than an hour to Meredith but an easy drive straight up Rt 293/93. (The airport is on Brown Ave off Rt 101 which links 293 to 93. It's confusing but from Brown Ave you can go either east or west on Rt 101 and end up on 93. Distance is about equal. The 293 section runs on the west side of the Merrimack River across from the redeveloped mills.) The drive north, even though it's a hwy is pretty. If you're spending a week, you might consider splitting time between the Meredith area and Portsmouth NH. Take a foliage cruise out of Portsmouth. Great city for restaurants. You'll be less than an hour from MHT via Rt 101. Color on the coast is later but should be starting by first weekend of Oct. Lots of historic homes in Portsmouth including Strawbery Banke historic area. In the Meredith area don't miss a drive thru Center Sandwich NH, a beautiful old town. If you get a NH Atlas and Gazetteer published by DeLorme, major hiking trails, covered bridges and waterfalls are marked. It's available at most bookstores.
Keep in mind if you are returning to the airport on a Sunday, traffic will be incredibly heavy southbound by late afternoon. There's a toll booth just south of where Rt 89 from Vermont feeds into Rt 93 so the traffic is extra heavy during foliage season. Plan on extra time or take an alternate route (i.e. from Rt 93 exit 12S to Rt 3A which will re-connect with Rt 93 south of the toll booth).

sunlover May 13th, 2009 05:30 AM

Thanks for all the great replies! I will really have to check into area north of Manchester and Newport, RI as well. What I am looking for is a destination inn though (i.e. Greenbrier but in different location). Any of these specific inn ideas?

A Nittany Lion co-worker who may be a bit biased suggested the Montchanin Hotel in the Brandywine Valley (southern PA/Delaware area). Apparently this is a (somewhat) famous hotel near the DuPont estate (hotel previously owned by Duponts as well) and lots of local wineries in the area and fairly close to Amish country. I guess it is about 35/40 miles south of Philadelphia airport. Anyone know anything about this?

LOL as a Floridian I don't want to get too cold. In northern New Hampshire what is temp like first of October. I don't want anything colder than mid 60s for the day and mid 50s at night. That would be akin to January weather in FL and about all I can stand of cool/cold weather. Yes your blood thins here! :)

djkbooks May 13th, 2009 06:05 AM

We live in Southern New Hampshire and head north for the foliage every fall. Timing varies from one year to the next. Last year, we arrived in Littleton (1-3/4 hours from Manchester airport) on October 4th and the colors were just getting underway. We drove farther north into the Great North Woods and west into the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont Vermont for more color during our visit.

Places such as the Mount Washington Hotel and Mountain View Grand have spectacular settings and wonderful spas (and restaurants). But, rates are their very highest during foliage season and may be beyond your budget - if you can even book at this late date. Most people (such as ourselves) know to book their favorite places to stay for the following year as they're checking out.

You would also want to try to catch Southwest fares while they are $79 from Florida, as fall, of course, is a very popular time to visit New England from Manchester, and fares will go up as the planes fill, especially if you're traveling other than on a Tuesday or Wednesday. It's also a good idea to firm up a rental car far in advance.

Foliage comes last to the Lakes region, particularly around the lake as the leaves turn much later near water.

In years past, traffic would be heavy on Sundays following check-out time...but more lanes have been added, particularly at the toll booths, where there is little backup any more with the introduction of EZPass some years ago. It's faster to stay on the highway than bother with alternate routes.

simpsonc510 May 13th, 2009 06:49 AM

I'm curious about this lake cruise on the Mt Washington boat. How long into October does this cruise run? I'll be in the area around the 7th/8th/9th and would LOVE to do this! Is there a web link for more information?
Thanks.
Carol

PamSF May 13th, 2009 08:02 AM

That early in the Fall, you really do need to go the more Northern routes to see color.

Jaya May 13th, 2009 08:11 AM

http://www.cruisenh.com/

Here's their website. It's a lot of fun with both day and evening cruises.

dfrostnh May 13th, 2009 08:19 AM

here's the link to the Mt Washington cruise schedule, scroll down to see Sept-Oct times
http://www.cruisenh.com/day.html
Late Sept/Early Oct can have temps in the 30s at night. Color starts changing when night time temps are cool. Daytime temps could be in 60s or high 50s. Keep in mind the weather in New England can be variable and we could get several days of rain.

simpsonc510 May 13th, 2009 09:32 AM

Thanks for those links. Looks like something I should consider!

gailw May 13th, 2009 11:49 AM

The color in the foliage comes when the nights drop below freezing and kill the chlorophyll in the leaves (or something like that), so if you want color, you're going to have to put up with cool/cold nights. If you want warm nights, you should head south and settle for less spectacular foliage.
I live in NH and had friends from D.C. come up for Columbus Day weekend last year. We had gorgeous sunny days in the 60s, needed jackets at night. Took the Winnepesaukee cruise mentioned above, sitting out in the sun for the whole cruise but needing jackets for the cool/cold breeze.

Jaya May 13th, 2009 02:24 PM

Fall in New England is eimply beautiful. No bugs, no humidity, cloudless blue skies, warm daytime temps and the early signs of Fall with the crysanthemums and pumpkins just add to the picturesque quaintness of it all.

If time allows, I'm a big advocate for visiting the Canterbury Shaker Village in Canterbury, NH (exit 18 off of route 93). If it's a beautiful day, spend a few hours there. They have a restaurant on site that serves Shaker inspired food. It's a slice of heaven to visit. The grounds and buildings have been restored to perfection and you can take tours that actually allow you to go in most of the rooms and touch stuff. Not a typical tour where you just see a few things. You can also just wander the grounds.

See their website at www.shakers.org.

Vistaphotography May 14th, 2009 11:54 AM

There are a bunch of good suggestions.. I even love the NM Balloon idea... but since I blog for Yankee magazine and I travel all over the northeast to photograph everything about fall foliage (www.yankeefoliage.com) I'll recommend New England.

I will suggest the landing to be in Manchester and then north up to Sugarhill NH. There are a bunch of B&Bs that will meet your requirements cost and amenities. Also there are antique shops and other hole in the wall places to explore. Even if you are early for color you can head north from there to Littleton and you should find it or if late you can head a little south and still catch it. But either way you should be able to find some nice color and enjoy many different attractions.

Jeff Foliage
www.yankeefoliage.com