Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   FALL COLORS IN OHIO (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fall-colors-in-ohio-836880/)

odieslove Apr 22nd, 2010 01:11 PM

FALL COLORS IN OHIO

Am looking at a fall color trip through eastern Ohio and down to Nashville. Can someone tell me when the colors are usually close to peak?

jent103 Apr 22nd, 2010 02:57 PM

In Tennessee it's usually mid-October, though it really depends on the weather the rest of the year. Are you coming to Nashville specifically for the leaves? If so, I think the Smokies would be a better bet. Nashville does get quite pretty but the mountains are beautiful (though they'll have the traffic to prove it on the weekends).

hoosurgurl Apr 23rd, 2010 08:29 AM

Well, if you go thru the Hocking Hills/Wayne Natl Forest southeast of Columbus, this is a spectacular area...many rock shelters, waterfalls, rock ledge and cave formations amid hills, thick forests and quaint towns, many cabins and chalets for lodging. (Nelsonville, Logan, Athens--main larger towns/cities in the area.) Very pretty loop drive--from Logan, 664 south to 374 west to 678 north to 374 west/north to Rockbridge then US 33 south back to Logan. On this drive are something like 6 states parks. Hocking Hills is about 50 miles southeast of Columbus--popular in the fall so make lodging reservations in advance. Fortunately it lacks the overcrowding and commercialization of say a Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge area. I believe there is a train ride too...probably need reservations in advance though. Official visitors info at www.hockinghills.com. The hardwood trees are what makes good fall color and southern Ohio and southern Indiana have hills and lots of hardwoods. The Wayne National Forest is comprised of several tracts in southeast Ohio. Also, do check out some of the historic river towns on the Ohio River--Maysville (KY)-Aberdeen (OH), Galliopolis, Pomeroy, Belpre all in OH and very old, interesting.

hoosurgurl Apr 23rd, 2010 08:30 AM

And the colors peak about 3 week of October...check with the state department of natural resources, forest division...they usually have a fall color hotline.

hoosurgurl Apr 23rd, 2010 08:33 AM

the rule of thumb is in the north, the trees change color first, so central and southern Indiana are about 1 week to 10 days behind northern Indiana and southern Michigan--in southern Indiana about week 3 of October is peak color.

odieslove Apr 23rd, 2010 10:58 AM

Actually, the Ohio River valley is exactly what I was looking at. Thanks for the info. Mentioned Nashville because we will probably spend the last few days of our trip there. We LOVE Nashville. If we have time, we could swing down to the Smokeys even though we have been there many times, as we have relatives in the area. But never in the fall. I wanted to know the average time of peak color, as we need to schedule our vacation times at work in advance, so the hot line from the forest service wouldn't be much help.
Thanks for the insight!

jent103 Apr 23rd, 2010 11:31 AM

Always glad to hear somebody else loves it here! :) I just wanted to make sure you knew that you'd find more color over in the mountains. We did have an amazing fall last year, though - hopefully we'll be lucky enough to get another one!