Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fall colors in N.Y. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fall-colors-in-n-y-194219/)

ken Oct 4th, 2001 02:05 PM

Fall colors in N.Y.

We will be in Westchester, N.Y. the week of Oct.20-27. Will we be too late? Someone told us that it has been very warm with some rain so the colors will be later this year? <BR> Thanks

Howard Oct 4th, 2001 03:12 PM

That should be just about right for the good foliage. And if it's not quite at its peak, it's a simple matter to drive further north in the Hudson Valley.

sharon Oct 5th, 2001 03:34 AM

The colors in Albany (about 2 hours north of Westchester) are just starting to really come on now. The weather has been just gorgeous - 83 degrees here the past two days. But this weekend, temps are going way down and our first frost will be Monday or Tuesday. Hard to say whether the foliage will still be intact by that time; really depends on the weather.

Lily Oct 5th, 2001 06:38 AM

I travel on the Palisades Interstate Parkway everyday and the leaves are just beginning to change color...(The parkway runs from Fort Lee, New Jersey to Bear Mountain State Park in Rockland County, New York)...It looks like you may very well see them peak in Rockland and Orange counties anyway...May I suggest Sunday Brunch at the Bear Mountain Inn or at the Thayer Hotel right inside the West Point Military Academy gate (only a couple of miles from Bear Mountain)...West Point offers fabulous views of the fall foliage along the Hudson...

Becky Oct 6th, 2001 05:46 AM

We will be visiting West Point and staying at the Thayer Oct. 15-16. Glad to here that the view is nice. We plan to take the train from Grand Central to Cold Springs. Will that be a scenic ride?

Howard Oct 6th, 2001 06:26 AM

Becky, yes! <BR>The foliage should be good while you're there.

xxx Oct 6th, 2001 06:41 AM

And how are you going to get from Cold Spring to west Point, Becky? It is a looooooong walk.

Becky Oct 6th, 2001 07:10 AM

Taxi, I hope. That is what the office at West Pont said to do. We are flying into LGA, and out of Stuart, and don't want a car while we are in the city. They said there are no car rentals in Cold Springs. Please share a better suggestion, if there is one!

Linda Oct 8th, 2001 09:40 AM

Short Line Bus Company runs a bus there from Port Authority 3-4 times a day. It takes a little more than 2 hours, costs about $14 (one way) and stops at three places in West Point including the Thayer gate. Their web site is http://www.shortlinebus.com/. The ride is very scenic when the leaves are changing but the ride on Metro North along the Hudson is great as well. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

minbrooklyn Oct 13th, 2001 03:06 PM

You can see West Point from Cold Spring. Shouldn't be too long of a taxi ride. We're going to Rhinebeck on the weekend of the 27th of Oct. Can't wait!!! The fall foliage is sooooo beautiful! Love it up there.

Howard Oct 13th, 2001 03:35 PM

minbrooklyn, you may be a little late to catch the peak foliage in Rhinebeck at the end of the month. We were up there last weekend, and it was already near peak. You might want to switch your destination a little south in the Hudson Valley.

minbrooklyn Oct 14th, 2001 12:52 PM

Thanks, Howard. We've been going for years at about the same time. We drive from NYC up through the Hudson Valley. Really love it. We like being up there near Halloween :-) (get to see the carved pumpkin display at the Beekman Arms). <BR>

Howard Oct 14th, 2001 02:49 PM

minbrooklyn, may I suggest a stop at the Storm King Arts Center to see the Calder sculptures. It's particularly beautiful this time of the year with the foliage as a backdrop!

Tracey Oct 15th, 2001 08:06 AM

Minibrooklyn-Can you tell me where the Beekman Arms is located? I'll be in the Rhinebeck area this weekend and would like to see it! <BR>Thanks, <BR>Tracey

Howard Oct 15th, 2001 08:10 AM

Tracey, you can't miss the Beekman Arms. It's on Route 9, right in the center at the traffic light at the corner of Market Street. (I think that's the name of the cross street.) Regardless, you can't miss the hotel.

Jenny Oct 16th, 2001 05:38 AM

Need help with B&B in Rhinebeck for this weekend. I know it's a short notice. Can anybody recommend any B&B or small inns in the area? Thanks.

Howard Oct 16th, 2001 10:23 AM

Call 518-537-4277 and ask for Linda. She's the clearinghouse for available B & Bs in the area. <BR>However, I must warn you in advance that your chances at this late date are slim. <BR>If you can't find anything there, you might try calling 800-MARRIOTT, as there are some Courtyards, etc., in the area. True, they aren't B & Bs, but you may not have a choice! <BR>We faced a similar situation a couple weeks ago and ended up staying at a Court in Fishkill which is 30 miles south of Rhinebeck....but, a lovely ride! There's also a Courtyard in Poughkeepsie, which is closer.

Becky Oct 16th, 2001 02:10 PM

Just back from first trip to the Hudson Valley--it is so beautiful! We were at West point and had limited time for side trips, but we did end up driving to Hyde Park. The grounds of the Roosevelt and Vanderbilt homes are open until sunset. The Vanderbilt estate was especially nice for a nice walk or jog along the river with gorgeous views, or for watching the sunset from the overlook area just before the estate exit.

jenny Oct 16th, 2001 08:22 PM

Thanks Howard. Almost all of B&B's are booked up for this weekend. I think I have a better of chance on finding an availability for the next weekend (still slim chance tho). But I'm afraid it would be too late for Fall Foliage. Can someone recommend any nice B&B's? (Forget about Beekman Arms..all booked up way in advance) There're a lot of them that dont have websites and I dont want to risk booking it. Thanks alot.

Howard Oct 17th, 2001 04:37 AM

Jenny, did you try that 518 number? As I previously said, we, too, had no luck with B&Bs and couple weekends ago and were disappointed at first. However, we still ended up having great time though staying at a "mundane" motel chain!