Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fall Colors-Asheville, N.C (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fall-colors-asheville-n-c-328475/)

Jimingso Mar 23rd, 2008 06:23 AM

Fall Colors-Asheville, N.C

I would like to take my wife to the Inn at Biltmore Estates for a few days this Fall.

Could my N.C. friends give me an estimate of when the leaves will be at their most colorful? Would mid-September to mid-October be about right?

Thanks! Jim

J62 Mar 23rd, 2008 06:49 AM

Columbus day is about right in the Northeast, so I would expect Sept would be early for NC.

cmcfong Mar 23rd, 2008 09:41 AM

The second to third weeks of October should be about right, Jim.

Jimingso Mar 23rd, 2008 11:13 AM

Thanks!

MileKing Mar 24th, 2008 11:00 AM

The city of Asheville (including Biltmore Estate) is at a somewhat lower elevation than many of the surrounding mountains. The best foliage in this area is the last week of October and first few days of November. Outside of Asheville, the mountains will have peak colors during the second and third weeks of October.

mahoneycutt Mar 24th, 2008 05:01 PM

Having lived in Asheville for 46 years, I can tell the best guess is usually mid-October.

With that said, I've seen great color from late September to late October.

My advice is to have Plan B ready in case you miss the color.

Mike Honeycutt

Jimingso Mar 24th, 2008 05:46 PM

Thanks for all the good advice. Now, could you experts compare Grove Park Inn to Inn on Biltmore Estates? Which do you prefer?

cmcfong Mar 25th, 2008 03:01 AM

Jim, I returned last week from a stay at GPI. I go annually for a business conference and the rate is super. This trip I stayed in the historical portion of the hotel. I have previously stayed on Club Level which is fantastic and the Sammons wing which is very similar to the historical portion though the rooms are a bit larger, I think. The rooms are spotless and furnished in a lovely old style. I am delighted the windows open and you can enjoy gorgeous mountain views and great breezes. The beds are comfortable but the pillows are wretched. The public spaces of the hotel are fabulous; but, they are absolutely packed with conventioneers and day visitors. I love the old porches and rockers.
I have not stayed at the Inn at Biltmore but talked to several in my group who had and they were very impressed with the rooms, service and food.

I often stay at Haywood Park Hotel downtown. It is located in the center of the walking district and has very nice, extra large rooms. And it is substantially less expensive than either the Inn at Biltmore or GPI.

Another property which is priced in the range of the Inn and GPI is Richmond Hill. You might want to check it out as well.

Have a great trip!

cmcfong Mar 25th, 2008 03:10 AM

One other thing, Jim. My friends had dinner at the Stables at the Inn and raved about it. My favorite restaurant in Asheville has to be Savoy on Merrimon. Wow.

We had one group meal at GPI in the Blue Ridge Dining room and the service and food were both well below par. No one returned for other meals. To their credit GPI sent me a satisfaction survey. I recieved a personal email thanking me for the critique and promising to work hard to improve the quality of the restaurant.

tcreath Mar 25th, 2008 05:15 AM

I agree that mid-October seems to be the best time to go. We moved to Charlotte in October 06 and drove through the mountains on our way over. The colors were spectacular. We are now making a point to head into the mountains every October.

Tracy

Jimingso Mar 25th, 2008 10:12 AM

I've booked the GPI Oct. 12-15, 3 nights for the price of 2.

Thank you cmcfong for your restaurant advice. We definitely want to sample Asheville's best.

Jim