Fairmount Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decisions, Decisions..... Would like recent visitors to give their imput - The Fairmount appeals to me because it is an all suite resort - but am wondering how they differ in terms of their workout - health club area? I understand that the GW's pools are like a waterpark but are the Fairmounts pools entertaining enough for children? I would like to know more about how it caters to children. We are in our late 40's early 50's with a 10 year old. We are also going to the Hyatt on Kauai and the FS on the Big Island. Would love to get others thoughts and recent experiences. Thank you.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 04:36 PM

Hello. I just spent two-weeks at the Kea Lani this past August. The suites were comfortable, but looking a little tired and overall we weren't that thrilled with the hotel. Health club very basic...nothing special at all, just an interior room with adequate machines and free weights. Pools are nice and had a waterslide - but not as elaborate as Grand Wailea. Have also stayed at the Hyatt on Kauai and it was a little dissapointing despite the rave reviews it gets in most travel mags...rooms kind of musty and the pools had a dirty look to them with murky water and some mildew along the tile line. FS on Big Island is wonderful! But not quite as good for kids. We had a great agent that helped us with special hotel rates. Let me know if you'd like their e-mail address.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 05:09 PM

It seems that the Grand Wailea would be a custom fit for a 10 year old!!! I'd definitely stay there if my kid liked the water slides. It would be a bit of heaven for them. We can barely drag our kid away from 6 Flags when we go there - I'm sure it would be the same with the GW.

That's why we're doing the FS Maui instead next Sept. Not bringing the kid!

Steve
Maryland
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 05:24 PM

the health club at the Grand Wailea is the best I've ever seen at a resort.
we are very into working out and were impressed w/the gym at the Grand Wailea. When we had dinner at the Kea Lani we took a look at the health club there, and it was typical hotel workout room, nothing compared to the one at teh GW.

the pools cannot compare either, the one at the GW is far more entertaining and fun!

If the only reason you would pick the Fairmount over the GW is the suites... pick the GW, how much time will you actually spend in the room when paradise is outside your door!!??

Old Nov 20th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

The GW seems to be calling - I have to admit that when I saw it on the Travel Channel at one point, I did think wow would my daughter and husband love the pools there! Having a great health club is appealing as well.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 10:06 AM

...don't forget the spa services at GWR...

Regarding their restaurant with the really long name, it repeats itself halfway through, just like WallaWalla (washington) or NewYork, NewYork.

I know this is offensive to native speakers, but after our failed third attempt at pronouncing the name, we renamed it the Abbott & Costello restaurant.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 11:47 AM
jgg

We love the Kea Lani and have stayed there several times with our two kids (now age 9 and 12). They tend to spend most of their time boogie boarding and body surfing in the ocean.

The Grand Wailea definitely has more slides and cool pool area, but seems to be very crowded. I will say the rope swing there looks like a lot of fun.

The Kea Lani is in the process of updating their rooms. If you decide to go, just try to request a room that has already been updated. I know you don't spend much time in the room but the extra elbow room is awesome! We originally chose it because of the suites. Travelling with two kids, we did not want to have to rent two rooms.