Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fairmont, Palmer House Hilton or Sheraton for business conference trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:59 AM
Cheryl

I will be in Chicago in June for a business conference and have been booked into the Palmer House Hilton. Other choices that I have are The Fairmont and Sheraton Chicago Towers. Should I try to change reservation to one of these? Looking for the hotel with best location for activities/shopping when not at conference ... especially within walking distances of things and safe at night.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:04 AM
Michael

Sheraton and Fairmont are a bit of a hike to mid-N. Michigan Ave, but certainly very doable, esp in June.
Personally I like the Fairmont better than the other two, but I dislike its location. Stayed at the Sheraton recently and while good, it was overpriced for what I got.
Where is the conference? Isn't that a key issue?

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:50 AM
Cheryl

The conference is at the Lakeside Center at McCormick Place ... The Hyatt Regecy there is already booked. So the other hotel options were The Fairmont, Hilton Chicago, Holiday Inn City Centre, Palmer House Hilton, and The Sheraton. I figure I'll take a taxi or there will be shuttles for the conference from the hotel to McCormick Place. I was placed in the Palmer Hilton, but was wondering which of the other hotels had the best location for activities outside the conference (since I'll be there for 5-6 days) ... would ideally like a good location to shops/restaurants, just walking around that is relatively safe, especially at night.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:59 AM
Howard

I'd keep the reservation at the Palmer House Hilton. It's a good hotel. It's closer to McCormick Place than any of the others except for the Hilton Chicago and, of course, the Hyatt right at the center. Though the Hyatt is obviously the most convenient for the conference part of your stay, it is the most invenient site for any non-conference activities you are planning!
Make sure you make time for the Art Institute of Chicago. It's only a block from the Palmer House and is truly one of America's great museums.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:58 PM
patg

The Palmer House is an older, elegant hotel. It has some of the problems of a 75 year old, but it also has great ambiance, one of the most beautiful hotel lobbies in America and a location that puts you within walking distance of many interesting sites. The Chicago Architecture tours headquarters is only a block or two away at 200 South Michigan. The Cultural Center (Michigan and Randolph) and the Jazz Mart (State and Jackson) have frequent, free concerts. You are 3 short blocks from Marshall Field's store on State Street, where the shopping can't be beat. It is a safe area, although pretty quiet after 6 p.m. As a single woman you might feel better taking a taxi back at night.