Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   fairmont or 4 seasons (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fairmont-or-4-seasons-671988/)

jaylaveglia Jan 20th, 2007 08:16 AM

fairmont or 4 seasons

Headed to Maui for honeymoon in october. Read all the posts here and am having a hard time choosing between the Fairmont and the Wailea. Hopefully due to time of year "kids" factor wont be an issue. Any advice from anyone who has stayed at both or knows some scoop? Thanks a lot!!

sistahlou Jan 20th, 2007 09:31 AM

4S mo bettah! I have stayed at 4S, GW and KeaLani. Only returned to 4S.

sistahlou Jan 20th, 2007 09:33 AM

oh and check to make sure there is no pool maintenance scheduled during your honeymoon, early autumn seems the time for these things....

issy Jan 20th, 2007 11:43 AM

I agree that 4S would be a perfect place for your honeymoon. It's beautiful and has an intimate feel to it. The KeaLani and GW are better for families, IMO.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! ((L))

jaylaveglia Jan 20th, 2007 03:16 PM

Thank you for your replies and tips (and for the well wishes!)

lmc1971 Feb 1st, 2007 07:02 AM

While the Fairmont Kea Lani was beautiful and we enjoyed it immensely...I would likely not go back as we found the other guests a little snobby. I would perhaps try the Grand Wailea next time. The FS was very beautiful indeed, you'll def. be spoiled.

mark99 Feb 1st, 2007 04:33 PM

At risk of getting dumped on....we stayed for 3 nights at the Fairmont and drove all over the Island...we also visited the attached hotels and the "upscale" mall. The food at the mall "upscale" restaurants were the equivalent quality of the Macaroni Grill, except for Ruth Chris which is well...just another Ruth's.

I have to tell you that by the 3rd day, my wife and I were SO bored with the food and people...that we would have SWAM back to Honolulu if we could!

The resort made me feel like I was at a corporate retreat.

Please do not dump on me...that is just the way I felt...some people might find that environment comforting...for us it was stifling.

We did not get a chance to visit the other resort area on the north side of the island...but I would not go back to this resort area again.

And again.....this is my experience...reflecting my likes and dislikes...the same as some people like Volvo and others BMW.

YalingHAY Feb 1st, 2007 05:01 PM

I totally agree with Mark. For me, Wailea area is too bored for me. However, the area is beautiful and relax, it is retreat. For honeymoon, stay in that area if you just want to spend time in the resort.
Also, May and Sep are no kid allow month for some high end , upscale resort. Check with the resort.

dfr4848 Feb 2nd, 2007 05:37 AM

Haven't stayed at the Fairmont, but we thought the FS would be very hard to beat. Great setting, rooms, restaurants, staff, etc. We had a couple of problems come up, and the general manager himself came to our room and went overboard imo in resolving them.

kmc Feb 2nd, 2007 07:52 AM

Fairmont was nice but the 4S is outstanding - havent tried GW yet (afraid of too many kids)

LittleSalty Feb 2nd, 2007 10:17 AM

Loved the 4S--I found the Kea Lani & GW to have a lot more kids/families. The Club Level cannot be beat!