Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fairmont Kea Lani or Sheraton Maui? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fairmont-kea-lani-or-sheraton-maui-997961/)

qzseattle Nov 16th, 2013 04:01 AM

Fairmont Kea Lani or Sheraton Maui?

Hello,

I have booked a trip to Maui in first week of December and am still undecided about whether to stay at Sheraton or Fairmont. Based on reviews and their websites, they both seem to be georgeous resorts and cost about the same. The main difference is of course the location and beach front. We will likely be spending most of the time at hotel pools and the lounging at or near the beach. Looking at pictures, Sheraton's beach front (kaanapali) looks prettier (water color of the ocean, sand etc) than Fairmont but pictures don't always tell the whole story. We have never been to Maui before. Also, I read somewhere that some construction was going on at Fairmont. I would truly appreciate your thoughts on these two properties. Thanks in advance!

ChiSue Nov 16th, 2013 06:09 AM

Sheraton is an older hotel, new when Kaanapali was developed in the seventies to lure people from Waikiki. There is a shuttle between some of the tall hotels there that also goes into Lahaina Town (converted whaling port; now 'galleries', bars, restaurants). There is a mall, Whaler's Village. People from all those big buildings 'on sand' flock to snorkel at Black Rock. (You could just walk over, but it is busy.)

The Fairmont -- all of Wailea -- is newer, on a good swimming beach, with more great beaches stretching south through Wailea and Makena. Rooms are all suites. There's a shuttle here, too, and an upscale mall, Shops At Wailea, with five or six restaurants. The ocean currents will be calmer south in winter.

Touring the island is more convenient from South Maui than from West. As a first-time visitor, surely you will want to see more of the island than one resort. (Have you reserved your rental car?)

I'm surprised that the rates between these two are similar. Fairmont is the superior property, and all of Maui's top-rated hotels except Ritz are in Wailea. (I wouldn't book Ritz in winter.) Call and ask about construction.

nmweaver Nov 16th, 2013 06:36 AM

Stayed in the Fairmont Kea Lani in January and loved it. Hardly wanted to move from lounging on the beach watching the whales or sunning by the pool. Had gorgeous view from our suite in the tower overlooking the adult pool and ocean. Onsite restaurants are very good. Also a nice walking path (paved) winding along the shore.

amer_can Nov 16th, 2013 12:56 PM

Hope you belong to President's Club (Fairmont) and/or Starwood..Lots of potential benefits. Free membership and well worth it!!

qzseattle Nov 16th, 2013 01:21 PM

Thanks for the response everyone. ChiShe, why do advice against booking Ritz in winter?

ChiSue Nov 16th, 2013 02:21 PM

The Ritz is in Kapalua. The northernmost portions of Kauai, Oahu and Maui are apt to be rainy and windy in winter. Kapalua is almost always breezy -- nice in summer!

wekewoody Nov 16th, 2013 07:33 PM

Kaanapali was developed in early 60's. It was the first development of its kind anywhere. The Sheraton was built in 1963. The location on the beach is fantastic.

tifa2276 Nov 17th, 2013 06:23 AM

The Fairmont looks wonderful and luxurious - all the rooms are suites which to me, is an added benefit. I think the Fairmont looks larger and the pools sprawling. The Sheraton pools are nice but they seem smaller. The Sheraton fronts my favorite snorkeling beach, Blackrock at Kaanapali, but I found everyone seems to think so as well (so more people). The Sheraton is a great hotel though and everyone there is friendly. I lost a pair of sunglasses there and even though I wasn't a guest there (was just passing through from the beach area) - they sent a team of people to go looking for it until they found it. It was really nice of them.

wekewoody Nov 17th, 2013 08:29 AM

Oh...and someone just reminded me that the Sheraton recently completed a little 6.5 million refresh in honor of the its 50th birthday.