Reload this Page >

Fairmont Hotel walking distance to fisheman's wharf

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 07:55 AM
Clare

Traveling with a child can we walk to much if we stay at the Fairmont? Will we walk through bad neigborhoods? Don't know city at all. How central is this hotel?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 08:01 AM
RB

The Fairmont is atop Nob Hill, so it's not walking distance from Fisherman's Wharf. The great thing about its location, though, is that it has a trolley car stop right outside (go through its base floor pharmacy/store) that will take you to Fisherman's Wharf and other points of interest. You can buy a MUNI pass in that store that's good for 3 days (if I remember correctly) that you can use for either trolley or bus- saves on hassle of paying conductor/driver. Use public transit when you can- walking can be a real exercise with the hills! Be sure to go to the top of the Fairmont- it has a good view of the city. The afternoon tea in the lobby is quite nice as well.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 08:44 AM
Faina

I agree with RB - the location is great, but you need to use public transportation - the hotel is on a steep hill, so doesn't matter where you go, you have to brave the hill coming back. Public transit is very good in the city and safe to use. If you want to walk to Fisherman's and take a bus back - the neighbourhood is safe for walking.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 08:55 AM
SF

It's not a steep hill, it's a STEEEEEEP hill. Take other means to get there. Cheap taxi ride, maybe $3 to $5 one way, and more convenient, especially with a child.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:49 AM
CAgal

With all due respect, RB--it's a cable car, not a trolly.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:09 AM
Clare

trolley sounds cute!!! Thanks everyone this helps not sure friend will appreciate the steep hill. Is Fisherman's wharf that gross to stay for 2 nights?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 11:55 AM
janis

Clare - no Fisherman's Wharf is not "gross" (some on this board will tell you it is but there are some good properties there)

BUT - that being said - the Fairmont is a FABULOUS hotel. A major destination hotel - on a par with the best anywhere and 100 times better than anything at the Wharf. The Cable car goes right past the hotel so it is easy to get to the Wharf. And if you can afford the Fairmont you can afford the short cab ride. (BTW - The walk TO the Wharf really isn't that bad since it is about 1 mile straight down hill - it is the walk back that is a killer).

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:02 PM
Clare

Janus the cable car does not ride you back? I can't believe I was that blunt before my apologies friend said was very busy and commercial.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:01 PM
Fairmont

Easy there with the effusive praise for the Fairmont, Janis.
While it has beautiful public areas and some great views, it is not among the top 100 hotels in the United States...literally.
It's not even in the top 4 in San Francisco.