Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Fabulous 50 vacation... Idea's needed.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/fabulous-50-vacation-ideas-needed-1706604/)

mamaducks Apr 7th, 2022 07:22 AM

Fabulous 50 vacation... Idea's needed....

My sister-in-law and I are turning 50 this year. Both sister-in-laws of mine & myself want to go on a three girls vacation to celebrate and I need ideas. First or second weekend in November for about 4 or 5 days. What city would you recommend? Continental US. Open to ideas where we can shop, relax, eat good food, warm (we're from North Dakota so it has to be somewhere warm) and things to do.

bluegrass1 Apr 7th, 2022 07:51 AM

Florida Keys
Charleston, SC
Savannah, GA

In no particular order.

november_moon Apr 7th, 2022 08:42 AM

Yes, definitely head south for warmer weather :)

I like the choices bluegrass mentioned. If you want a beachy trip, then I think the Keys would be my top choice. If you want more of a historical city trip, in addition to Charleston and Savannah, I would had New Orleans to the list of possibilities. I love New Orleans and it has plenty of great food and things to do. People don't necessarily think of it as a place to go to relax, but it is a place where you can be as busy or as relaxed as you choose.

suze Apr 7th, 2022 09:12 AM

I was coming to suggest Hawaii. It offers everything you asked for (except not being "continental USA").

KTtravel Apr 7th, 2022 09:37 AM

New Orleans is the first place that popped into my mind.

RoamsAround Apr 7th, 2022 10:34 AM

Naples, Florida has everything on your list, world class shopping, scores of great restaurants, mild weather (usually warm enough for swimming) in November, beautiful beaches for relaxation plus a whole lot more - you can be as active or sedentary as you’d like. It’s only a 30 minute or so drive from RSW International Airport.

Also consider Charleston, SC - as it has a lot of what you are seeking.

bluegrass1 Apr 7th, 2022 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by RoamsAround (Post 17351383)
Naples, Florida has everything on your list, world class shopping, scores of great restaurants, mild weather (usually warm enough for swimming) in November, beautiful beaches for relaxation plus a whole lot more - you can be as active or sedentary as you’d like.

Except the OP is celebrating her 50th birthday, not her 75th birthday!
I'd think they might prefer a destination with a bit younger demographic.

PrairieHikerII Apr 7th, 2022 01:01 PM

I agree with everyone: either New Orleans or Charleston. They are two of the most interesting cities in America.

TDudette Apr 7th, 2022 01:21 PM

New Orleans!

I had a lot of fun in Nashville even not being a country music fan. See if this TR comes up for ideas:

https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chasing-sargent-in-nashville-1555688/

Sassafrass Apr 7th, 2022 01:55 PM

New Orleans! Great food, interesting shopping, interesting historic things to see, music, no car needed. I love NOLA.

I have not been to San Antonio, but saw a Travel show recently that made it seem wonderful and pictures of the river walk are beautiful, plus rafting or kayaking and lots of art and good food.

Tampa has a lot to offer also, great walking areas and lots of restaurants, perfect for a few days to relax, eat, enjoy the ocean. I was there just for a night and morning before a cruise and was impressed, thinking it was a place I had overlooked before.

melproffit Apr 12th, 2022 09:40 AM

look at Phoenix/southern Arizona. warm, great food, scenic drives, many national parks and monuments to visit.

dfrostnh Apr 13th, 2022 01:15 AM

Another vote for New Orleans which was a four friends visit in early November

TDudette Aug 29th, 2022 01:43 PM

If you enjoy music New Orleans or Nashville. What activities do you enjoy?

suze Aug 29th, 2022 09:20 PM

(This thread is from back in April. mamaducks has never returned, or a least not posted recently.)

TDudette Aug 30th, 2022 01:15 PM

Oops! Good catch, suze.