Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Eye Prescription Snorkel Masks? Where to buy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH does not have time toget LASIX before we leave for Hawaii on Sept. 30. Where can he order a presription mask?

Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Call your nearest scuba shop, they can handle this for you.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 07:06 PM

I agree with cmcfong. Contact a local shop. My local shop has several models on display that can be fitted with prescription lenses. I suggest going in and trying them on as comfort is important.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Alisa, my husband has a Rx mask, which he got at a local dive shop. The most important part of a mask is the fit, so I don't recommend mail-order. If he finds a mask that fits at a dive shop, they should have Rx lenses to pop in the holes where the plain lenses are. All your DH has to know is his Rx for each eye.
If he doesn't want to purchase a Rx mask, dive shops in Hawaii do rent them. Again, all he needs is to know the correction for each eye.
Have a great trip!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Geez, I am so used to ordering things online that actually going to a store to try something on is foreign. But of course, you are all right! We will find one this weekend. Thank goodness we live in LA so dive shops will be easy to find.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 09:12 PM

Make sure your DH has a current eye exam on file. The Rx will be released if not expired (depending on the state it's either 1 or 2 years). He can then take a copy of the Rx to the scuba place. From my understanding, there's a formula used to calculate underwater Rxs, which are sometimes different from the eyeglass Rx, due to the refractive difference between water and air. Sounds expensive for short-term use if he's considering LASIK later on.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 09:52 PM

shave the mustache for better sealing of the mask, eh.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 10:52 PM

Alisa, before you spend a small fortune on a prescription mask, you might want to see if simply having magnifying lenses in the mask will work.

I was sceptical because I am so nearsighted, but I bought a mask at Snorkel Bob's in Hawaii and they put the correct strength magnifier in each side. Then they told me to try it and if I needed a different strength, bring it back and they would exchange the lens at no extra charge. Great service!

To my delight, it works perfectly well and I saved hundreds of dollars on a prescription mask. The new mask I bought is also excellent and fits very well.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:20 AM

I borrowed a magnifying mask for my honeymoon in St. Lucia instead of buying a prescription mask and it also worked great for me. As an aside...I'm blind as a bat!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Marilyn covered the exact info I was going to contribute.

Depending on what his vision issue is, it may be completely corrected via the magnification in the water.

I was getting ready to spend hundreds for a custom Rx mask when my divemaster recommended trying that first.

Lo and behold - 20/20 as soon as I hit the water...
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:09 AM

My husband rented a prescription mask from Maui Dive Shop in Wailea. It worked perfectly.