Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   extra day in Martha's Vineyard or on to Rockport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/extra-day-in-marthas-vineyard-or-on-to-rockport-517815/)

coldkelly Apr 2nd, 2005 06:26 AM

extra day in Martha's Vineyard or on to Rockport?

My friend and I are heading up to Portland, starting out with 2 days in Boston, then heading to Martha's Vineyard, before proceeding to Portland. She thinks we should spend 3 nights in MV, I'd like to see the Rockport area and do just 2 nights in MV. Any suggestions?

gyppielou Apr 2nd, 2005 08:16 PM

I suggest you get a map and a reality check. Each place you mention has its own fabulous attributes. However they don't collide in a possibly worthy trip of seeing anything. Good luck, do a search and continue to explore your options.

coldkelly Apr 3rd, 2005 03:38 PM

Not sure what you mean. Mapquest lists a time of 2hr. 23 min. from Boston to Oak Bluffs; 4 hours from Oak Bluffs to Portland. With 2 nights in Boston, 3 in Oak Bluffs, the drives in between don't sound unreasonable to me at all, even factoring in an extra 1 or 2 due to traffic. Have mapquested many road trips and never found them to be significantly off. What am I missing here?

coldkelly Apr 3rd, 2005 03:39 PM

meant to say, "factoring in an extra hour or 2"

shaz60 Apr 3rd, 2005 03:56 PM

I think that you can easily spend 2 nights on MV, drive up to the Rockport area, spend the day (and 1 night) and then head up to Portland. The distances are not bad at all. Have a good trip.

coldkelly Apr 3rd, 2005 06:01 PM

Thanks Shaz. I needed to hear that. Confirms what I had thought...

Anonymous Apr 3rd, 2005 06:20 PM

"Mapquest lists a time of 2hr. 23 min. from Boston to Oak Bluffs"

LOL, this is a classic that must be preserved for posterity! Go back to Mapquest, make the map interactive, and zoom in a bit. Mapquest has you driving over about 10 miles of open ocean water. MV is an island. Better rent yourself one of those Duck Tour amphibious vehicles and pray for calm seas!

Seriously, did you notice in their driving directions the following item: "Turn LEFT onto WOODS HOLE-OAK BLUFFS FERRY (Check ferry schedule/fares)." The ferry takes about 45 minutes. Better try to make reservations now.

gyppielou Apr 3rd, 2005 07:15 PM

I apologize for misreading your stayover times. When are you going, and what day of the week are you traveling? Yes, heading out of Boston, should get to Woods Hole in and hour and a half. This is where when you are traveling factors in. Full season you will need plenty of time to get from satelite parking to the ferry, or there are other ferries in Falmouth and Hyannis...I am assuming you are not taking your car for this short stay. Last year I spent a week on the vineyard. For short trippers, I'd stay in Edgartown. You could rent scooters or bikes and my favorite place was Chappaquiddick. The tiny ferry is in Edgartown, which adds to my thoughts on staying there. So, again, when and which day of the week you would leave and venture to Cape Ann area really matters as you will be passing thru either Boston, or very congested 128/95. At least once a year we stay at Atlantic Inn in Gloucester. Yes it is a lovely area, and if you want to do a wirlwind tour of seeing as much as possible, with no relaxation, but lots of adventure, yes it's doable. If I can offer more detailed advice....just shout! g'lou

gyppielou Apr 3rd, 2005 07:29 PM

Just one more thing......in my mind I was questioning why you would go in opposite directions, with many hours of travel time, rather than explore one. I was thinking that Rockport/Cape Ann area then Ogunquit/Kennebunkport was a natural progression. But of course, you have reasons to be on Martha's Vineyard, in the opposite direction. Best wishes on your plans. Often I love whirlwind exploring!!!

coldkelly Apr 4th, 2005 08:05 AM

Am going south first because I have to pick up a daughter from camp in Maine on the 18th and I have to come back pretty quickly after that because of plans to go to Upper Michigan the following week.So sightseeing has to be done beforehand. Doing Boston first because I prefer not to be in Martha's Vineyard on the weekend(may help a little) and I'd like to stop earlier in the day than going to Martha's Vineyard would allow. Did decide to spend 3 nights there. So it's 2 in Boston, 3 in MV,1 in Portland, then picking up the camper. Stopping in Niagara on the Lake on the way back. No, I'm definitely not taking car over on the ferry and have been advised that " you almost never ever need a reservation" for yourself as just a passenger.Portland sounds nice, but a bit north of there sounds even nicer. Is that the case?